Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is using an elliptical in a challenge cheating?

I need a question answered. I started a weekend warrior challenge and have really been killing it to keep up with another highly competitive person. After pretty much walking, boxing, running and using the elliptical for over 6 hours, I pulled ahead of this person. We had some friendly, competitive banter on the challenge message board, but when I mentioned being on the elliptical, this person said that ellipticals are cheating.

Is it cheating? I thought it all counted towards the challenge, otherwise I wouldn't have done it and I certainly wouldn't say it on the public challenge message board.

The person is a friend, but it has caused quit a rift, as this person is extemely upset about it. Would love opinions on this.

Best Answer
47 REPLIES 47
Might just be me or mine, but when I am on it, I find it harder work than walking/jogging

10 min jog, no probs, but 10 mins on the machine and I am knackered
Best Answer

I agree, depending on the program I choose, the eliptical can be more challenging than the treadmill.

Best Answer
Hello
I'm opposite. I can do urban rebounder.. no problem. I take walks
outside. I find those very challenging.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Its not cheating at all..

I use the elliptical daily for around 30mins and I do HIIT training on one of the most highest settings so that is a lot harder than just running.

Best Answer

I question the strength of the friendship when a challenge can break it.  I workout with a guy who does the elliptical as recovery after blowing out his knee.  He has sweat flying all over the place (I know, kind of gross) but gets an amazing workout.  I am in several challenges and we all agree that getting the steps is important.  If you get some from walking, running, elliptical, biking or aerobics.  All are fair game.  Our blogs have been "come on, its the middle of the week, you've got this!"  We cheer and are happy for the winner yet proud of everyone in the challenge.  I am sorry your friend cannot see the value of your work to improve your health.

Best Answer

I think a step is a step.  I've been using the Arc Trainer  ( kind of similar type of machine) to count steps this week myself.    I think you should stick to your guns and keep walking.   Don't worry about your friend. That person will either get over it or they won't, but it  shouldn't effect what you're doing for yourself.  

If traditional walking was the only legitimate way to gain steps, then why does Fitbit have categories for bicycling/running/Sports/Aerobics/etc.? Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Late to the party but in my case using an elliptical wouldn't be cheating but quite the opposite since my fitbit (Charge HR) registers about 2/3 of the steps that my elliptical registers 🙂

Best Answer

People dislike anything that they perceive as giving another an advantage, thus they label it unfair. Cheating is putting your Fitbit on a paint mixer because you happen to work at a hardware store. Using a desk elliptical like a Cubii with an FitBit One in an ankle holder is not cheating. It's being smart. 

Best Answer

Using an elliptical is not cheating. Power saws and puppies are cheating. Like in this Wall Street Journal Article. 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/want-to-cheat-your-fitbit-try-using-a-puppy-or-a-power-drill-1465487106

Best Answer

Unbelievable what people will do and why?   What do they get out of it?    Just because they "win" a challenge by cheating?     I used to be in challenges with a person that got over 80k steps a day.   When I asked her how she does she said she incorporates walking in everything she does.   I get that part but over 3k steps an hour for every hour in a 24 hour period?   I don't buy it.....

Best Answer

In my opinion, cheating should be defined by the person who starts the challenge or activity group. It will save hurt feelings if the standards are clearly stated.

It may be that taking a "step" on an elliptical is more difficult than a step walking or jogging, but the injury factor plays a role, too.

Best Answer

RULE 1 ... fit bit is and always should be a fun activity

RULE 2 ... it isn't  about the #s, it's about fitness, feeling better, moving more and yes some FRIENDLY competition

RULE 3 ... if someone may be cheating, ignore them, it isn't  about them it's about you

Best Answer

What matters to me is Elliptical and Fitstar both getting myself fit. Challenges help out in keeping track on how long you need to keep on going to your progress. It's not cheating if you are reaching your own goals like reduction in weight and body fat.

Best Answer

If only certain types of steps are allowed, then it should be made clear when starting the challenge

my dad has injured his back and can only walk for short distances so only uses an under the desk walker, as I am sure many others are in the same sort of situation, can not jog/run, only use an under the desk walker, exercise bike etc

if only steps done by walking/jogging/running etc is allowed then it should be stated

Best Answer

I'm a competitive person myself, so I get it, it's hard sometimes to be a good sport when you worked your butt off. I don't know what else Fitbit could have called it aside from steps but it makes people essentially feel like you have to be either running or walking, or hiking for your steps to "count". Fitbit is a fitness tracker, to track your...fitness. If being in this challenge has caused you to pump up your effort than fantastic! It doesn't matter how you get it in. I've started bouncing on my exercise ball more at work and I probably won't join any more challenges because people probably wouldn't appreciate it if they knew, but it's actually a really good workout compared to walking.

Maybe next time you and this person could discuss the "rules" for the challenge and what you can and can't do to keep it "fair" and to keep the peace. To answer your question though, it's not cheating realistically speaking.

Best Answer

Interesting take for sure.  I use elliptical a lot and my fitbit recognizes the exercise and gives me a pretty accurate calorie count.  I count the steps as it is harder than my usual walk

Best Answer

Not cheating. I just started using an elliptical again. I love the machine and due to my knees and pelvic issues, it has been my go-to for about 10 years now. Moving out here I had no gym and go lucky to get a machine for free. It needed work though so it has been me slowly walking to get in my steps. I've even moved up to running!

Machine is fixed and I thought for sure I would zoom on through. Boy was I wrong. I can walk for 80 mins straight and do interval jogs/sprints and be fine...15 mins on the machine had me gasping for air, sweat all over the place (I don't even sweat during my walks!) my legs cramping and giving out. I had to work my way up to 35 mins and still have to remove my glasses and carry a towel the whole time.

And the steps are off. 30 mins and 3k steps and I'm about to collapse. Walking for 50 mins gives me a little over 6k steps and I don't even break a sweat, no muscle fatigue, and I can talk during and after. I honestly thought I would be cheating because I was an old school "Pro"...That guilt went right out the door 5 mins into my workout. Today I'm not going near that machine. I've just finished my 2nd 5k and if it doesn't rain I'll do another before killing myself on the elliptical. I just need a day of rest.

Best Answer

If you are standing upright on your feet, any stepping motion is fair game.  Elliptical is definitely not any easier than walking in place, which some people do.  Or even walking on flat ground vs. in a hilly area is easier.  Nothing can make things *absolutely* fair, but if you're standing on your feel doing stepping motion, you're not cheating.  If you're in a challenge with bikers and you're a biker and you all agree it's "OK" to put the fitbit on your ankle while biking, then that's not 'cheating' in that context, but doing that in a challenge with people who aren't biking and keeping it secret ... I'd consider that 'cheating'.  Even though biking is still exercising, that's not 'stepping'.

Best Answer

I'd be giving you bonus points for spending 6 hrs on the elliptical. I cry after 20 mins lol. The elliptical and I do not get along very well.  Especially not when my trainer is in charge of the settings 😤😤😫😫

Best Answer

If it gets you up and moving, no, it's not cheating.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer