Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JUMPING June Step Challenge

The MAYhem step challenge is nearly over so it’s time to start thinking about next month.  Maybe some JUMPING JACKS spread through your June walks/runs? 

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
202 REPLIES 202

5 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     5/20

Swim 2x per week                                                      1/8

Dance 6 hours a week (minimum)                       2.5/6

One Coach workout or bike ride per week              1/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

Welcome @Calby

24K steps, 3200 burn yesterday, caught up with both pace bunnies. 

Wasn't really intending on making it up in one day. Went on my walk yesterday and near the end of my walk stopped by work just to use the facilities, remembered that I needed to deliver programs to our advertisers as proof we put them in the program, so ended up adding another 2-3 miles to deliver them. Then last night i overate a bit at dinner and the dog hadn't been walked yet so there was another 2 miles. 

OTOH my other stuff didnt get done.  Still not doing great with BALANCE.

Best Answer

Welcome @Calby  I did the C25K a while ago it is a good one

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

June 5

900 JUMPING JUNE JACKS (a set of 30/day) 

5/30

15K steps/day

5/30

1 pushup/day 

5/30

16 weight-lifting days

3/16

50 floors or more for 20 days

2/20

Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month

0/12

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

June 5

Sit down Boxing daily 5/30
Sit down weight lifting days 2/13
Wine/Beer I limit this to weekends but I want to only do this 1 day on weekends instead of 2 1/5
Lose 2 Pounds 0/2

Community Council Member

Best Answer

18 06 06 0421.JPG

Yesterday was a tough one. I'm getting the type of fatigue only people who have been on a bicycle tour, through basic training, or on a two-week backpacking trip understand. If I push through it, I'll bloop out the other side in great shape. I should add old-fashioned housewives to the group.

I can eat as much as I want. In fact, I'm eating almost constantly and still having difficulty maintaining my weight. My body seems to want to weigh a few pounds less, but I'm not cooperating. 

@Ennay  mentioned balance. By setting a hard constraint of 3000 calories, I'm learning what most people consider balance isn't possible. I'll express that as "getting everything done that needs done." It isn't possible. To do one thing, I have to give up another. I have multiple projects in progress, and I simply have to accept they will take whatever time it takes to complete. If I try to force it, my body will rebel and nothing will get done.

Today may not be productive in terms of burning my calorie goal of 3000 calories. It's possible I'll take a good long nap at some point. 

Best Answer

10K yesterday BUT about 4 of them were actual running.  Foot seems ok today, still couldnt walk in the running shoes comfortably so will keep the runs to a short distance so i dont get caught out.  Will try running again on Thursday if a walk today seems ok. It's looking more and more that this wont heal without possibly surgery, but otoh it doesnt seem to be getting worse so I am holding off.  Perhaps weight loss alone will do it.   In the fall I may try a steroid injection as a stopgap.

@GershonSurgeoh that feeling - I know that feeling.    Yeah at some point rest is good.

I just need to get to the point where my to do list isnt keeping me awake at night. 

Best Answer

June 6

Sit down Boxing daily 6/30
Sit down weight lifting days 3/13
Wine/Beer I limit this to weekends but I want to only do this 1 day on weekends instead of 2 1/5
Lose 2 Pounds 0/2

Community Council Member

Best Answer

June 6

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 5/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 6/30

- Weights — 12/30 days - 2/12

- Lose 2 kilos (4.4 pounds) [CW 66.8 kg] — I’ll only report this end month)

Just could not make the step count yesterday, but since I exceed the daily goal other days  (about 15,000 today), my average end-June should be A-OK. 

Best Answer

June 6

6/30

15K steps/day

6/30

1 pushup/day 

6/30

16 weight-lifting days

4/16

3/20

0/12

@Ennay -- glad the foot is not getting worse, at least.  I've been working around some shoulder pain in the gym for quite a while now.  I thought it was improving, but when I was putting a dumbbell back on the rack this morning, I aggravated it again.  Annual physical is next month and that is one of the things I'll talk about. 

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

18 06 07 0354.JPG

Yesterday, I thought through my goals again. My main goal is to burn 3,000 calories 15 times during the month. In the past, I learned if I set maximums for goals instead of minimums I avoid overtraining.  For example, if my goal is 15,000 steps a day, I stop getting more steps as I approach 15,000. Well, in an effort to burn 3,000 calories every day, I found I was burning more.

So yesterday, I decided to shoot for exactly 3,000 calories by targeting 875 activity calories. I ended up burning 3,003 calories. 🙂

Today, I'm going to devise a method to carry forward any surplus or shortfall of calories burned and use them to adjust the next day's goals. Because I have a surplus, I'm going to adjust today's goal to 2,700 calories or so. It means some work won't get done, so I'll have to adjust the rotation of activities.

It's similar to setting a monthly goal for gallons of gas to burn in my car. I have to weigh each trip based on the amount of gas burned and the benefits of burning that gas. Here is an important concept. The higher the price of gas gets, the more benefits I'll get from burning each gallon if I set a hard limit on the monthly cost of gas.

I have a hard limit of spending $5.00 a day for food, which works out to 3,000 calories a day. By adhering to this hard limit, I have learned to burn only those calories that give the most benefits.

Best Answer

7 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     7/20

Swim 2x per week                                                      2/8

Dance 6 hours a week (minimum)                          -/6    2.5/24

One Coach workout or bike ride per week              2/4

Off to Perth tomorrow for a dance competition so my steps will suffer for the next three days (two days in the car 6 hours and one at the competition). Hopefully my average will hold up for the month (but plenty of time to make it up I think). Dance hours a week are still down but Jim's knee is improving so they should slowly pick up again. Actually I might reduce the hours in my goal to 4 as I think as 6 a week is probably unrealistic at present. Hopefully pick them up again in July. 

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

15K yesterday but only 2600 burn, not doing well with my NEAT right now. 

Best Answer

June 7

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 6/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 7/30

- Weights — 12/30 days - 3/12

OK, back on track. Hang in there with your goals Peeps! [And no problem with 'tweaking' them as needed! Smiley Very Happy]

Best Answer

June 7

7/30

15K steps/day

7/30

1 pushup/day 

7/30

16 weight-lifting days

4/16

4/20

0/12

@NellyG -- hope you do well at the dance competition and that the travel is smooth.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

June 7

Sit down Boxing daily 7/30
Sit down weight lifting days 4/13
Lose 2 Pounds .5/2

Community Council Member

Best Answer

18 06 08 0358.JPG

I intentionally missed my 3,000 calorie goal in order to reduce my heart rate a bit and to eat enough to maintain my weight. However, considerably reducing my activity calories didn't have as much effect on reducing total calories burned as I expected. It appears I've increased my metabolism. This would be great for a person trying to lose weight but not so good for a person on a strict food budget who is trying to maintain their weight.

Today, I'm going to get my work done and forget about how many calories I burn. It should be near 3,000. 

Best Answer

8 June  The drive up was long but went well and I even managed to get my 10,000 in which surprosed me. Thanks for the best wishes, @Baltoscott  Really I am just glad to be here after Jim's knee problems. I dont expect to be winning any medals - we just haven't been able to practice enough ☺

@WendyB I hope things go well with your leg!

10,000 steps a day                                                     8/20

Swim 2x per week                                                      2/8

Dance 6 hours a week (minimum)                          -/6    2.5/24

One Coach workout or bike ride per week              2/4

Community Council Member

Best Answer

Awesome report, @NellyG! Wishing you luck in the competition. We are all behind you! [I won't say 'break a leg' though, for obvious reasons! 😉 ]

Best Answer

June 8

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 7/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 8/30

- Weights — 12/30 days - 3/12

I'm reporting early (for me) today because I'm going out with friends. But I WILL get my steps and definitely the jumping jacks in for today. 🙂

Best Answer