Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JUMPING June Step Challenge

The MAYhem step challenge is nearly over so it’s time to start thinking about next month.  Maybe some JUMPING JACKS spread through your June walks/runs? 

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
202 REPLIES 202

Ok I lied. Was sitting around doing nothing. Can't have coffee so I exercised

June 8

Sit down Boxing daily 8/30
Sit down weight lifting days 4/13
Wine/Beer I limit this to weekends but I want to only do this 1 day on weekends instead of 2 1/5
Lose 2 Pounds .5/2

Thanks all

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I almost forgot that Friday is the day to post my weekly goal summary. It includes part of the last week in May. Overall, it was a successful week.

18 06 08 0809.JPG

Best Answer

13.8K yesterday, about 4K running. 

Does anyone know if adjusting the HR zones will affect how calorie burn is calculated?  I dont want to change that, not that I think it is super accurate, but changes in average burn correlate fairly well to weight loss rate so its a useful point where it is.   But clearly my HR zone is off.  I've always had a higher HR Max than the old 220-age thing as evidenced yesterday by all 22 minutes of my run being "peak" despite the fact that I was barely breathing hard.  My body felt heavy and my legs were sluggish so it was more of a leg limited run than a breathing/HR limited run.

Yesterday my college roommate who I haven't seen in 27 years messaged me in the middle of my walk that she had a layover in Portland.  I cut my walk short and we met for lunch and caught up.

Going out dancing tonight so steps and calorie burn shouldnt be an issue, but restaurant food for the 3rd time in 2 days :O.  I did well yesterday though, went to an indian buffet but came out actually a bit hungry, then ended up with my son at a Panda Express last night which has manageable choices as far as fast food goes.

@WendyB- I missed the can't have coffee part?  ACK!  Good on you for working out with everything.  My all or nothing mentality is how I went from marathon to couch surfer. 

Best Answer

@Ennay,

Adjusting the zones doesn't affect the calorie calculation. I have mine adjusted so fat burn is cardio and cardio is peak. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

June 7

900 JUMPING JUNE JACKS (a set of 30/day) 

8/30

15K steps/day

8/30

1 pushup/day 

8/30

16 weight-lifting days

5/16

50 floors or more for 20 days

5/20

Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month

1/12

Giving myself credit for a 6+ sleep last night.  Fitbit only credited me with 5 hr 18 min, but it stopped recording at 4:29 when Hawthorne got me and the other two dogs up because he decided it was time. Grrr.  Let them all out and fed them and then went back to bed for another hour.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Jotex wrote:

June 8 — Update

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 6/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 8/30

- Weights — 12/30 days - 3/12

- Lose 2 kilos (4.4 pounds) [CW 66.8 kg] — I’ll only report this end month)

I'm reporting early (for me) today because I'm going out with friends. But I WILL get my steps and definitely the jumping jacks in for today. 🙂

“The best laid plans of mice and men...” Had every intention of getting my steps in today, but phone calls, unexpected visitors, etc. have interfered. Oh well. I did get those Jumping Jacks and 6,000 steps in. 😇

Best Answer

18 06 09 0547.JPG

It's surprising how little work I can do when limiting the calories burned to 3,000. I need to learn how to increase this while maintaining my weight and not overtraining.

Best Answer

16.5K steps yesterday 3100 burn

Food was probably the farthest diversion I've had in the last 3 months.  One of those dinner parties where everyone orders a bunch of small plates and everyone is sharing and tasting.  I really have no idea.  But lots of dancing.

Getting ready to drive 90 minutes to what probably will be a rain delayed or cancelled tournament.  Hopefully the coaches luck holds.  He has never had a game rained out.  Clearly he's never played fall ball here.  Steps will be tough this weekend with at least 6 hours of car time.

Best Answer

Not allowed to do anything today which makes for one grumpy person. Woman Indifferent

June 9

Sit down Boxing daily 8/30
Sit down weight lifting days 4/13
Wine/Beer I limit this to weekends but I want to only do this 1 day on weekends instead of 2 1/5
Lose 2 Pounds .5/2

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

June 9

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 6/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 9/30

- Weights — 12/30 days - 4/12

Yikes! Am short on my step count again. Got my jumping jacks and work out with weights in, though. Spent the whole day cooking and baking for my daughter’s birthday — then entertaining, serving, cleaning up. Just too pooped to walk more today. “Tomorrow is another day!” 

Best Answer

@Jotex,

One of the reasons I focus on calories instead of steps is it allows me to allocate my time to those things that are most important. Based on calories burned, how did you do yesterday compared to your average.

@WendyB,

Hope you can get back to exercising soon. 

Best Answer

@GershonSurge - unfortunately the only ‘food’ that got recorded yesterday was my morning coffee with lactose-free milk. I was so busy all th time, I don’t know any more if I ate anything for lunch or not. I taste things as I prepare and cook, ... {but hard to count calories from licking the bowl, etc}. I made: hummus, baked felafel, jogurt dill sauce, tabooley, green salad, oven meatballs, bacon-wrapped fried pickles, brownies from scratch, and peanut butter and banana sushi. We also had regular sushi, onion bahjis, and naan bread. I couldn’t begin to estimate quantities I consumed, though I didn’t overstuff myself. 

It was an anomaly, though. Today I plan to eat very little (sent most leftovers home with my daughter and her family.)

Best Answer

18 06 10 0100.JPG

I had an interesting experience while starting the lawnmower. I heard a dog growl behind me. When I turned around, there were two pit bulls staring me down. Fortunately, my electric garage door opener doesn't work, so I quickly opened it by hand and ducked inside and called 911. When I ventured outside through the garage's side door, I saw a woman loading the dogs into the back of an SUV. They weren't hers, but I heard through the neighborhood scuttlebutt site that she found the owners later in the day.

Maybe the pit bulls were trying to be friendly, but I wasn't taking any chances. 

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

I had an interesting experience while starting the lawnmower. I heard a dog growl behind me. When I turned around, there were two pit bulls staring me down. Fortunately, my electric garage door opener doesn't work, so I quickly opened it by hand and ducked inside and called 911. When I ventured outside through the garage's side door, I saw a woman loading the dogs into the back of an SUV. They weren't hers, but I heard through the neighborhood scuttlebutt site that she found the owners later in the day.

Maybe the pit bulls were trying to be friendly, but I wasn't taking any chances. 

@GershonSurge - my personal take is, a dog’s growl is an unfriendly signal! Glad you could beat a hasty retreat! 

June 10

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 7/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 10/30

- Weights — 12/30 days - 5/12

Have exceeded my step goal today, which should help my month-end average on steps. 

Whew!

Best Answer

June 10

10/30

15K steps/day

10/30

1 pushup/day 

10/30

16 weight-lifting days

5/16

7/20

2/12

My buddy Mike got a picture of me actually on the bike during a ride we did today.

Tour Dem Park - 6.10.2018Tour Dem Park - 6.10.2018

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

Well this weekend was..not a great weekend for baseball. It was pouring interspersed with drizzle and high winds and about 48F average.  But we played anyway because tournaments don't like to give back money.  I was on track to be ahead of the pace bunny for most of the week but instead of my normal pacing and lowish tournament steps, I spent the entire weekend huddled in a ball under a tarp and 3 coats and a blanket or in the car.   Today I have 8th grade promotion all morning and meetings all afternoon and evening....maybe tomorrow?

Monday Summary - through 6/10
steps - target 135000 - actual 124694 (10306 behind)

calories burned - target 27000 - actual -26790  (10 behind- i guess shivering burns calories)

weight -1.8

Best Answer

June 11

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 8/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 11/30

- Weights — 12/30 days - 6/12

Best Answer

@Ennay,

Bummer that it rained for the tournament. The good news is you lost weight.

@Baltoscott,

Do I see five watches on your arms and two cycle computers? Think you have enough computers? 🙂

Nice track stand.

18 06 11 1123.JPG

I'm starting to increase my daily calories burned. I'm using several point and figure charts to keep the variables balanced so I don't get any injuries or overtraining. @Baltoscott, I think you might like this charting method.

18 06 11 1135.JPG

Best Answer

@GershonSurge wrote:

@Baltoscott,

Do I see five watches on your arms and two cycle computers? Think you have enough computers? 🙂

That’s normal, right?  Yes, I am a measured man.  🙂

I had two bike computers — an old fashioned wired one that counts wheel revolutions, and a Garmin GPS bike computer.  The old time one is on there all the time and records every wheel revolution on the bike.  Last month it told me that I’ve got over 39,000 miles on that bike!

On my wrists I had a Charge 2, and an Apple Watch 3. Up my left forearm I was wearing an HR monitor that transmits to the Garmin.  The other band was to show I had registered and paid for the ride.

Your latest chart looks like a complex version of tick-tac-toe.  I am not sure I understand it, but I am glad it is keeping you from overtraining and injury!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

June 11

11/30

15K steps/day

11/30

1 pushup/day 

11/30

16 weight-lifting days

6/16

7/20

3/12

Holy Moly, TWO days in a row of 6+ hours of sleep  Busy next few days, though.  Long day at work tomorrow that includes dinner in DC (so probably home around midnight), and then an unrelated road trip to Philly Wed/Thur to see U2.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer