Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JUMPING June Step Challenge

The MAYhem step challenge is nearly over so it’s time to start thinking about next month.  Maybe some JUMPING JACKS spread through your June walks/runs? 

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
202 REPLIES 202

18 06 12 0416.JPG

Yesterday, I chose what I'm calling high activity calorie dense activities. I was able to burn 3573 calories in less time than I can burn fewer calories in low activity calorie dense activities. I'm also starting to increase the duration of each activity.

Eventually, I'll need to spend time indoors doing low activity calorie dense activities. I'll do this when I need a rest. 

Best Answer

12 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     9/20

Swim 2x per week                                                      3/8

Dance 6 hours a week (minimum)                          3/6    5.5/24

One Coach workout or bike ride per week              2/4

Heres a couple of pics from the competition

Night of Stars 2018.jpgNight of Stars 18.jpg

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

June 12

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 9/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 12/30

- Weights — 12/30 days - 7/12

- Lose 2 kilos (4.4 pounds) [CW 66.8 kg] — I’ll only report this end month)

Best Answer

13516 steps and 2711 burn yesterday.  Cant get anymore exact than that to goals

@GershonSurgewell, I've lost weight in June, not so much this week! 

@NellyGso cool!  What a gorgeous gown.

My dog is a major drama queen.  Took him for a walk and it was 65 degrees and sunny and every shady patch he would flop down like he was too hot and tired to go on.  Got home and he went straight out to lay in the sun and then chased a ball around in the sun for about 20 more minutes.

I HATE BOARD MEETINGS! 

Best Answer

I agree with @Ennay — @NellyG your gown is gorgeous and you look fabulous!

@GershonSurge — what are all these rocks you are shoveling about so early in the morning?!

@Baltoscott — I’m curious, why you wear both a fitbit charge 2 (me, too) AND an iWatch 3?!

Best Answer

June 12

900 JUMPING JUNE JACKS (a set of 30/day) 

12/30

15K steps/day

12/30

1 pushup/day 

12/30

16 weight-lifting days

6/16

50 floors or more for 20 days

8/20

Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month

3/12

Just made my floor challenge today at 51.  

@Jotex -- I stick with the CH2 most of the time because it's an HR model that tracks my sleep and steps all day and it doesn't look all that weird when i wear another watch.  I primarily wear the AW3 on the other wrist as a watch (I think it looks good and like the several bands I have for it) and for the way it integrates with some of my iPhone apps.  For example, it notifies me after a rest period is up on my weight lifting app, has a little circuit body weight exercise program, lets me sign on to my work computer using a two factor authorization prompt, has super easy timers built into the many watch faces for cooking and has built in GPS.  

I've got a garmin watch I sometimes wear instead of the Apple watch when weight lifting because it counts reps and sets and even detects some of the exercise types.  But I prefer the look of the Apple.

Always have to have the fitbit on because fitbit has counted almost every step I've taken since 2011 -- over 61 million to date.  I also think fitbit has the best web presence and community of the three companies.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

13 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     10/20

Swim 2x per week                                                      3/8

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

18 06 13 0311.JPG

Had a good day yesterday and burned 3464 calories. My resting heart rate according to Fitbit reversed a beat yesterday, so I don't need to worry about restricting my activities.@

@Jotex

There were landscaping rocks in the corner of my front yard that kept getting overgrown with weeds, so I decided to remove them. Now, I'm left with packed clay that will be difficult to grow grass in. I'm not sure what I'll do now. I also need about three inches of soil to level the area. Maybe, I'll move the rocks back. Seriously, I think I'll sow some buckwheat and cover the area with grass I rake from the yard. Buckwheat grows in poor soil and the roots may break it up. 

@Baltoscott,

There is something faintly amusing about wearing a second watch that doesn't look funny. My mother wore the same watch for 40 years and never learned how to wind it. It was whatever time she wanted it to be. Note to Fitbit: The band never broke during the entire 40 years. It was apparently waterproof as it never stopped being stopped the whole time. In time, I may transition back to my Timex Triathalon watch and only log the amount of time I work. 

@NellyG,

Great pictures. Dancing like that must be loads of fun.

The reason this post is so long is I'm putting off doing dishes. 🙂

Best Answer

@GershonSurge — I’ve bought a number of those Timex Triathalon’s over the years.  They look good as a sports watch and I only started going away from them when GPS receivers got small enough to go into a regular watch that I could wear all day instead of just for workouts.

I continued to be amazed by all the things I don’t really need that they pack into small devices these days. Smiley LOL

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

I have a Garmin GPS watch that I wore for running.  I'm purposely NOT wearing it now because it feeds into my too obsessive side.  But it is weird the few times I do run to not start/stop. 

15.8K steps yesterday, still just a bit over 2700 burn.  I really can't identify why Monday would have been a higher NEAT day than yesterday. 

Best Answer

My office works with the Supreme Court occasionally, and we arranged to have dinner there last night to celebrate the retirement of a law professor that works with us.  I’ve seen a few arguments there, but never really had the opportunity to walk around when it wasn’t full of the public.  Here are a few pictures.

Hi JaneHi JaneThat’s the bench through the curtainsThat’s the bench through the curtainsA097EAB2-C00F-42FB-8813-4B30AEFDEED0.jpeg08993837-C64A-4E27-95AB-78BBB36AB9AA.jpeg

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott,

I'm probably the only one in the world who would look at those pictures and wonder how many calories I could burn keeping that floor clean before the age of natural gas-powered carbon-monoxide producing migraine headache causing floor polishers they use now. I can just imagine someone whose name I won't mention walking there and looking up women's dresses in the reflections.

Best Answer

June 13

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 9/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 13/30

The only goal I’ve completed since yesterday is doing the jumping jacks. I went with some friends to a huge park with roses and other plants in Germany today. Too tired and a little achy to walk or work out with weights. Hope to snap back tomorrow.

@GershonSurge - why not lay down some black plastic over the clay to block weeds from growing and then put those rocks back. 

@Baltoscott - thanks for explaining why and how you use all your watches and fitness trackers. Thinking about an AW3.... 

Best Answer

Not posting cause i cant do anything. Find out more tomorrow. But i will be back next month. Keep going all ! 😁

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

18 06 14 1259.JPG

Good day for burning calories. Bad day for weight control. I dropped four pounds and two percent in body fat. It's two of everything day for food. 

@Jotex,

Plastic doesn't solve the problem. Within a year, enough dirt collects on top of the plastic to support a weed population. Then some of the more persistent weeds poke holes in the plastic and send long roots that look like spaghetti above and below the plastic. A couple holes are enough for them. If I keep an area cut without planting grass seed, there is a cycle of weeds that comes that ends up with dense grass. I don't have a clue where the seed comes from. 

Best Answer

@GershonSurge — oh gosh! Sounds like the slope at the end of our backyard. I spent many summers trying to dig out the roots (some were 5 meters long, and broke off!). Finally gave up... A3BB38FE-C078-4DA9-98FA-53C96BF61B5E.jpeg

They are long shoots, filled with moisture. They make our yard too shady and attract slugs 🐌 ... ☹️ 

Good luck 🍀 

Best Answer

14.3K yesterday just under 2700 burn

Awake at 1:30 am this morning and not been able to get back to sleep.  Should have been wearing the fitbit so I could get credit for the tossing and turning 😛 

Best Answer

14 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     11/20

Swim 2x per week                                                      4/8

Community Council Member

Best Answer

I'm finally back! After my week in the forest both my wife and I had lots to do, will spare you all the details but we've been on the run. Here it is June 14th and we are caught up.

Oh, here are my May totals:

average steps in May:  16,113 per day   4 days under 14k

miles                                      8.6 per day     4 days under 7

floors                                      41 per day      7 days under 30

Same goals as last month for June:

14 k steps per day

7 miles per day

30 floors per day

June 1 - 7    Step average 17,800                 

miles 8.2

floors  41               

Best Answer

June 14

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 10/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 14/30

Best Answer