Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JUMPING June Step Challenge

The MAYhem step challenge is nearly over so it’s time to start thinking about next month.  Maybe some JUMPING JACKS spread through your June walks/runs? 

How It Works:

The primary purpose of these monthly challenges has been to keep track of your daily step goals for the month; though many of us track other things as well, like body weight exercises, sleep, trips to the gym, logging food, etc. This is not a competition to see who can do the most of whatever, instead it is a challenge to measure your consistency. So whether you do 1k, 5k, 10k or even 40k steps a day, this is measuring how many days out of the monthly total you can hit your goal.

Some might have a constant goal of 10k steps every single day and others might have a variable goal throughout the week, (and some might even plan days off!) for example.
Monday -> Friday = 10k steps a day
Sat & Sun = “6k steps a day,” or “not tracking”

Regardless of how you structure your daily goals, the only thing that matters for the monthly challenge is whether or not you reach what you set out to do.

Suggested Posting Format
1) Post either your constant or variable step goal.
2) Keep track of the # of daily goals achieved out of the monthly minimum and or monthly total

Although you certainly don’t have to post daily, you’ll likely stay closer to what you set out to do by updating the thread several times/week

Injury Notice
If you injure yourself during the month and need to scale back due to the injury, then all you have to do is adjust your goal for that period. If you normally do 10k steps a day but pull a hamstring and decide to do minimal walking (2k steps a day), then all you have to do is change your goal.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer
202 REPLIES 202

June 14

900 JUMPING JUNE JACKS (a set of 30/day) 

14/30

15K steps/day

14/30

1 pushup/day 

14/30

16 weight-lifting days

7/16

50 floors or more for 20 days

10/20

Sleep 6+ hours 12 days or more during the month

3/12

Out on our walk today, Jayhawk found a turtle to bother ... .  No drama.  Turtle stayed in recessed mode, and Jayhawk lost interest.  Probably a good thing for Jayhawk.  He might not have enjoyed a sharp snap on the nose!

No.  It is NOT a frisbee!No. It is NOT a frisbee!

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott,

Nice picture. I'm surprised Jayhawk isn't wired.

@benvegi,

Welcome back. Will you post some pictures?

18 06 15 1248.JPG

18 06 15 0119.JPG

Best Answer

16.5 K yesterday a bit over 2800 burn

A weekend without a baseball tournament!?!  Whatever shall I do with myself? 

Best Answer

15 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     12/20

Swim 2x per week                                                      4/8

Dance 6 hours a week (minimum)                          2/6    7.5/24

One Coach workout or bike ride per week              2/4

Community Council Member

Helen | Western Australia

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

June 15

15/30

15K steps/day

15/30

1 pushup/day 

15/30

16 weight-lifting days

8/16

10/20

3/12

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

June 15

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 10/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 15/30

- Weights — 12/30 days - 7/12

- Lose 2 kilos (4.4 pounds) [CW 66.8 kg] — I’ll only report this end month)

The only ‘goal’ I hit yesterday was doing my JJs, unless carrying baskets of wet laundry to hang up count as weight lifting. 😂 

Lots of things (invites, concert, etc) going on so might be a total wash-out weekend. Will do the best I can. 

Best Answer

@Jotex,

I never considered that a washout day could refer to hanging laundry out to dry.  Sounds like weight lifting to me.

@NellyG

More pictures if you have them.  I thought you were doing dance videos before I saw the picture the other day.

@Ennay,

No tournament this weekend? Maybe you could try something like jogging. 

I was tuckered out yesterday, but I rescued it with some lawn raking when it cooled down. This morning, I'll lighten the workload by jogging longer in the morning. I may move one of my cars into the garage and start shooting some baskets for exercise. Guess I'll need to buy a basketball.

18 06 16 0413.JPG

Best Answer

16 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     13/20

Dance 6 hours a week (minimum)                          2/6    7.5/24

One Coach workout or bike ride per week              3/4

@GershonSurge I havent seen any more photos of us. I know one ofbthe photographers is off on holiday now so it may be a while ....

Community Council Member

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

@GershonSurgeI was thinking maybe along the lines of cleaning but jogging sounds more fun.

15K yesterday a bit over 3000 burn. 

I need to end this week at least caught up.

Best Answer

18 06 17 0223.JPG

Thanks to a late start, I missed weight lifting yesterday morning. I tried to get it done in the afternoon, but one of my cats had a different idea. She wanted to lay on my lap for awhile. I increased the length of my morning jog from 30 minutes to 70 minutes. As long as it doesn't result in any aches or pains, I'll keep doing it. 

The rock project is done for now. The next step will be to plant grass, but it's impossible now with the heat and the quality of the soil. I'll probably spend the rest of the summer adding compost material to the top and plant in the late spring. I'm learning to only work on one major project at a time. After the deck, I may start painting the house. 

Best Answer

17 June

10,000 steps a day                                                     14/20

Dance 6 hours a week (minimum)                          4.5/6    10/24

Community Council Member

Best Answer

70 steps short of 13500 yesterday.  a little over 2800 burn

HOT here, well hot for here.  Going to need to get my walking in either early or late.

Best Answer

June 17

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 11/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 17/30

Was under my step count both Friday and Saturday, but made it with +/- 1,000 extra. Whew! Have a good week Peeps!

P.S. A couple of shots of some of my roses this year. 😍9F4E4DB1-9282-45CE-A39E-D135485B742B.jpeg

36C41178-86B4-4558-96E5-74A241C713BA.jpeg

Best Answer

June 17

17/30

15K steps/day

16/30

1 pushup/day 

17/30

16 weight-lifting days

8/16

11/20

3/12

Saturday, Jane and I took a class with the kayak club we belong to to learn how to get back into a kayak on the water.  Not so easy; especially if you happen to be alone.  In that case, you need to put something boyant on the end of your paddle so you can use the paddle as sort an outrigger stabilize the kayak while you pull yourself up without turning it back over.  It turned out that I was pretty good at turning it back over.  Finally got the hang of it, but now have bruises up and down my legs for all the fun :-).

Today I went on a group bike ride from the two Washington Monuments that are in Baltimore and DC.  (Yes, Baltimore has one too; smaller, but with more character).  The round trip is about 95 miles.  Round trip from my home would have been about 109 miles.  I didn’t do the round trip.  Hit the wall at around 70 miles and found a Dunkin Donuts at about 76 miles to hang out in until Jane could come and get me.  I think the problem was that is was too hot too early in the season.  (Started in the 70s, but got into the 90s after lunch). My legs are still cramping six hours later. I bike ride a lot, but I don’t do a lot of long bike rides and have not done a 100 mile ride in about 15 years.  But I saved the route on my Garmin and will give it a go on my own after I get a few more 50-60 mile rides in this year.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

@Baltoscott

You earned some donuts after the long ride.

@Jotex,

I love your rose pictures.

Yesterday, I decided to try to fix my old lawn mower that died last year. I decided there was something clogging the fuel line, so I turned the mower on its side and shook it a few times. Then, with the mower on its side, I primed it. Then I turned it upright and it started on the first try. The bad news is it's bigger than my new mower, and I can cut the lawn 10 minutes faster. Now, I'll need to find other work to do on lawn mowing days.

18 06 18 0735.JPG

Best Answer

Alright @Baltoscott and @GershonSurge — you guys gotta stop talking about donuts 🍩 or I’m gonna lose my willpower to resist!!! 😅

@GershonSurge — you are so funny, bemoaning the fact your new lawnmower is more (too?!!) efficient!!! 😂😂😂

Best Answer

Well I needed 15765 yesterday to catch up to my "pace bunny" for the month.  Had a pretty good walk in the heat. At about 5 pm I started feeling sick but we had dinner/movie plans for fathers day.  Got home from the movie lungs on fire and a raging fever and went to bed with 15,3XX steps.  At 10:30 got the call that the small theatre I manage got vandalized.  Put the fitbit back on and went to clean up glass.  So I got 17,216 steps yesterday.  But today I will be bed bound when I am not calling glass companies and shuttling kids to activities.

window 1.jpgwindow 2.jpg

Praying that my daughter doesn't get this. She is leaving in the morning on a trip to DC and New York that she has worked all year to pay for.    They are expected to walk around 20K steps everyday

Monday report.
Steps 230951 - 1451 steps ahead

Burn 46581 - 681 calories ahead.

Weight loss month to date:4.0

Best Answer

@Ennay That sounds a really tough day.

18 June 

10,000 steps a day                                                     15/20

Dance 6 hours a week (minimum)                          4.5/6    10/24

Community Council Member

Best Answer

June 17

18/30

15K steps/day

17/30

1 pushup/day 

18/30

16 weight-lifting days

9/16

12/20

4/12

Got the steps done a little early today.  Floors and weight-lifting too.  Missed both steps and weight-lifting yesterday.  When I decided to do the bike ride I knew I would miss the weight-lifting goal; but I kind of thought I break 15K steps on my 76 mile bike ride. Sadly the count was only around 9K when the battery on my Ionic ran out around 3:10 pm.  I had a full charge, but it seems that with GPS on, it is only good for about 8 hours.  (Apple Watch 3 also gave out.  My Garmin bike computer was down to 30% after I got to DC, but I had a usb battery to charge it up some while I ate my smoothie for lunch). I put on my CH2 and picked up a few more steps when I got home, but couldn't get to 15K.

Sure, I can make it back to Baltimore.  Not.Sure, I can make it back to Baltimore. Not.

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 3.26.49 PM.png

@Ennay -- hope you are feeling better, and the vandalism is really galling.  Also, sorry it is so hot and muggy for your daughter's trip East (typical this time of year), but there is a lot to see and we do have AC, so she'll probably have a good time.

@Jotex - no donuts were sacrificed in my trip to DD.  I got an OJ and a big glass of ice and used a dozen napkins to wipe my sweat off the table while I waited for Jane to pick me up.  

@GershonSurge -- I am gradually replacing my outdoor gas gadgets as they stop working with electric because I apparently don't have the foresight to drain the gas at the end of the season so that they work more than two or three years in a row.  

Scott | Baltimore MD

Best Answer

June 18

- 11,000 steps (daily average) - 12/30

- 900 Jumping Jacks 30 x 30 days - 18/30

@Baltoscott — fair enough about the donuts. But at just the mention of DD my mouth started watering! 🍩😂

Best Answer