Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the most amount of steps anyone has ever walked in a single day?

I am just curious about the most steps walked in a single day. I have 45,000, and it was tough getting that badge.

Best Answer
259 REPLIES 259

It has been a a few years but my highest step count was 65,194 steps.
But with 940 floors!

HansvH_0-1655394212313.png

Best Answer

C81F7567-C950-4702-A9FB-76371FFDF779.png

today

Best Answer

That’s a crazy amount of steps for a moderate amount of activity. Here is mine for same day. This is partly why I now believe it’s better to go by zone minutes instead of steps. Doing heavy work just doesn’t involve steps but that doesn’t mean it’s easy to get your amount of steps,  which are very suspicious 🤨 

A3EF6E2B-4A07-49B8-BA45-3EA2B8DE51D3.jpeg

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hans,  mine is 65thousand and change also. A Boston Marathon plus more day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I did 101,000 in one day. Started at midnight, finished 1400hrs.Ron

Sent from the all-new AOL app for iOS
Best Answer

Yes I think we agree that with a long, long dedicated effort 100,000 is possible. But it a huge effort so it’s annoying to see people claim it’s easy and they do it all the time! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have wondered this myself.  At a normal pace for me of 6000 steps-per-hour that would work out to 144k steps if I managed to go for 24 hours.   I have done a walking challenge on my birthday for the past 5 years where I need to do a minimum of {Age * 1000} steps so it gets tougher each year.  This year I needed 43k but woke up early to avoid the heat and had that done by 10am.   I finished out the day with 64795 - a personal best of over 10k steps.   I'd love to break 100k one day but everything from my hips down hurts like hell today! 🙂   Good luck to all those trying for 100k+ !

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, @JimMR, that's a big target!  How did you get on?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PeteVanFleet That's a really nice challenge, at least for the age you are now, but there will come a time when it's barely possible!  I'm 65, so although I usually have one or two days each year where I manage about 70,000 steps (in organised walks, with dog walking added on at both ends of the day), it would take a special effort to turn out such a day on my birthday.  Best of luck in keeping that up!

Best Answer

Perhaps @SpeedyPotato could describe how he or she achieved those steps and the other stats.  It does seem odd to get over 80000 steps from less than five hours' activity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Vidd,
I was in a 200 mile race that stretched over 4 days.  Not much time to spare, so I power-walked 18-20 hrs a day, with about 2 hrs of sleep per day.  Here was the result:

IMG_1968.jpg

I got over 100k steps/day for four days (if you measure days starting at 9:00am). The race also included about 9000' of climbing per day (900 floors).  It was pretty brutal, especially in the middle of the night.  I had a lot of help, including volunteers cooking food at aid stations, and friends walking with me during some of the tough parts.  Here is some of the scenery we were rewarded with:
IMG_1278.jpg

Best Answer

Thanks @Vidd !   I like the fact that the challenge will eventually become impossible!   I hope that it motivates me to stay healthier as I age and that I make it to that point!  

Best Answer

Wow, what an adventure, @JimMR!. Congratulations on sustaining that effort over four days.  Lovely scenery as well - where were you doing this?  And how did you feel after it was all over?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good thinking, @PeteVanFleet!.  As it's just the one day you have to hit the target, then you could be doing so for a couple of decades or more yet!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Vidd This was a race much of the way around Lake Tahoe, in Calif/Nevada.  The Tahoe 200.  An amazing experience, well organized, well supported.  I actually felt pretty good at the end -- my intention was a low-drama finish without beating myself up too badly.  Main issue was the sleep deprivation.  I finished in 95 hours (4 days); the leaders finished in about 56-60 hours; they probably got 200k steps/day for 2 days in a row.

I can't really recommend doing this sort of thing, but (I'm 59 and not a super-athlete) it is quite surprising to discover what your body and mind can do when pushed towards the limit.

I think it is possible for someone to accomplish @PeteVanFleet 's  Age*1000 birthday challenge well into their 70's, and perhaps even past age 80.

Best Answer
0 Votes
hmmmm
well I use a kinda weird strategy
step 1 relax for like 10 days?
step 2 follow the graph
day 1,5k
day 2,10k
day 3,20k
day 4,40k
day 5,20k
day 6,10k
day 7, 5k
day 8, all day relax, might get below 1k
Day 9,10k
Day 10,25k
day 11,50k
day 12, you feel so energetic you just do 100-150k

And here’s my step count strat
Walk, jog, run, sprint, cycle, sprint, run, jog and finally walk. All for 30mins and I got 20k+

80k steps in 5 hours is kinda possible
Just reallyyy hard
1 second = 12 max steps, 6 average.
Let’s say 8.
8x60=480 per minute. Since we are humans let’s say 460 per minute, which equals 27.6k an hour. Let’s make it 25k for we need breaks. 25k X 5 equals: more than 80k, in fact more than 100k.
If we use full energy and potential,
10 steps per second. 600 in a minute. 36000 an hour. In 24 hours it’s possible for 500k?
feels weird, but I’ll see you when I have done it.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

E1A9305E-7A9A-4FF0-BBDF-DF27F082C934.png

Best Answer

I think this is the stuff of fantasy.  3 steps per second would be very fast indeed:  your suggestions of those much higher numbers don't make any sense, @SpeedyPotato.

Best Answer

@Vidd it is fantasy 🙂 the cadence of 480 (walk, run, jog) is rather impossible. Here's an example of a metronome set to 480bpm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkbymd-RRDc

Now try to walk/jog/sprint to match feet and clicks.

3 steps per second are 180spm and is absolutely doable (for most trained runners 180spm is a kind of 'base' cadence). The highest cadence I kept for a reasonable time was 240spm which is 4 steps per second but that was steep downhill (and the way I run it is shortening the stride and maximizing cadence). Running 200-215spm isn't impossible and lots of runners do it. However, @SpeedyPotato mentioned cycling which doesn't really count steps but adds them as a side-effect of bumpy rides. The only way to get steps consistently during the ride is to put a watch on the ankle and spin with crazy high cadence. Now, with low resistance reaching a cadence of 300 (150rpm) is possible. Although, if I search through my logs, I see the highest cadence of 140-145rpm (280-290spm) I won't say it isn't possible to spin that fast but it's **ahem** exhausting. But personally, I wouldn't artificially inflate numbers by adding cycling "steps" into step counting. For me, steps are steps, cycling is cycling, no relation. Anyway, at the end of the day, it's an individual matter how to treat cycling.

Best Answer

Oh, without any doubt, @t.parker!. @SpeedyPotato seems to inhabit a fantasy world.  I'd been thinking of walking when assessing 180 spa, and that would be a serious power walk!  But I agree with you about it being a typical runner's pace - I remember when Mo Farah broke the record for distance in one hour that I had a go at working out how many steps he would have done, and getting his stride length from that and the distance he covered.  He was going at roughly 180.  

As a musician, I often think in terms of beats per minute, so I know pretty instinctively what normal steps speeds feel like - and which numbers can be taken as cobblers!

I think we agree!

Best Answer