Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long does it take to do 10,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I'm just setting up my bitfit for the first time. Just got it for my birthday tonight! Just curious how long it takes on average to get 10,000 steps in a day? I work out about 3 days a week but I run about 30 minutes and do weights. Just curious how much more I will need to do to fulfill the 10,000 steos.

Best Answer
127 REPLIES 127

With a 30 minute walk before work, walking around some at work, and walking for 30 minutes at lunch, I will usually hit 10K steps sometime during that 2nd 30 minute walk.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I suppose it all just depends on the exercise you're doing and/or general mobility. Yesterday, for instance, was a fairly sedentry day for the most part - by 6pm I had only logged about 2,000 steps overall. However, I left my house to go Fencing at 6:30 (3k mile walk there), and when I came back home later, I found I had done over 11,000 steps. (I had also dropped 2lbs, but I suspect that was water weight)

On a working day, I can usually hit the 10,000 in a few hours. Good old retail. On a gym day, less than that if I'm on the treadmill.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As i drive to my office and sit at a trading terminal most of the time I don't do mare than 2000 steps in a normal day - after work I do on average 120 steps per minute on a treadmill at 5km per hour for 30 mins and use the powerplate for 20 mins

So I guess its about 1.5 hour  to get to 10000 steps at 5km per hour

I generally try and make steps up by walking at lunch and parking my car as far as I can.

I started witha target of 5000 steps per day - I hit that most days - Highest was 15300 steps - after a visit to IKEA!

Ash

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dee

I timed myself on a treadmill at 5km per hour and did 120 steps per minute - so thats 7200 steps in an hour - to do 10000 steps I estimate 1.5 hours walking per day- A 10 minute walk is about 1200 steps

I find you normally do about 3000 steps normal activity - going to work , shopping and around the house. 

Ash 

Best Answer

I've clocked myself for an average and came up with 1.27 minutes; I like numbers and it allows me to figure out steps needed; as in a walk around the block at work vs. timing myself for 43.5 minutes to turn around...hahahahahaha! 

Some of my days I do a little here a little there, other days I can clock 12,000 or so steps in one walk.  I love it when I hit 10,000 though as the rest is just gravy as they say.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tested the number of steps on a treadmill at even walking at 6km per hour or 3.7 Miles per hour - I did a maximum of around 8500 steps in an hour - about 140 steps per minute.  I would estimate and use 130 steps per minute to work out how long I need to walk for

So for 10000 steps its 10000/130 = 77 minutes

Even for fast walker at 150 steps a minute it will take 67 minutes to cover 10000 steps

It would be interesting to see how this compares with other fitbiters?

Ash

Best Answer
Yeah I'm with you on that one Rich. The shops to my place is 1.6km (1 mi) away and I was carrying 8kg (18 lb) of groceries. My One exercise tracker tells me that was completed in 17 min at a pace of 2200 steps... So depending on height, fitness level and stride length, I'd be happy to call 10k within 80 min
Best Answer
0 Votes

2 x 45 min. in one day + another 1,000 as insurance

Best Answer
0 Votes

can you check your progress as you go along...brand new today

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes you can @nancybee What kind of fitbit do you have? I have the flex, and the lights on it will tell me how far along I am toward my goal. You can also check with the phone app or here on the site with your dashboard. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It depends on your routine, there are some days where I can't even get to 5k and I'm tired as well as some days that I am over 10k and fresh as a lettuce.

I did Zumba yesterday and made over 10,000 in 2 hours! *pats her back*Cat Very Happy

Try fitting it in within your breaks, lunches and spare minutes, every step counts!

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

Takes me on a day going to the gym if I really push myself about 12-14 hours. But not everyone is like me though...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know in miles or km, but average walking takes me about 1-1/2 to 2 hours to reach 10,000 steps. I reach that goal at least once or twice a week. I'm a distance walker, not in it for speed. Have good tunes in your ears if your alone... and have fun.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i play singles tennis.

90 minutes of singles will get you around 7500 steps

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit looks like it's accumulating my steps.  Yesterday I did around 3K..today I did more, but my band says 9K.  That's got to be cummulative.  How do I get it to only show me today's steps?

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, it's not cumulative. The fitbit automatically resets at midnight. You just did more than you think you did. 🙂

@Shari57 wrote:

My fitbit looks like it's accumulating my steps.  Yesterday I did around 3K..today I did more, but my band says 9K.  That's got to be cummulative.  How do I get it to only show me today's steps?

Best Answer
0 Votes

depends on how fast your walk/run and your stride length

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got 10,000 steps. It took the whole day. 

Best Answer
100 minutes on average

a bit faster on treadmill, 3.1, not counted steps yet
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had mine on for the first time today.  All I did was normal activity and I reached my 10,000 steps by 6pm.  11 stairs (which I was counting and it was accurate). To the gym tomorrow for some inclined treadmill, will be interesting to see if it counts as steps or stairs.

Best Answer
0 Votes