Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long does it take to do 10,000 steps?

ANSWERED

I'm just setting up my bitfit for the first time. Just got it for my birthday tonight! Just curious how long it takes on average to get 10,000 steps in a day? I work out about 3 days a week but I run about 30 minutes and do weights. Just curious how much more I will need to do to fulfill the 10,000 steos.

Best Answer
127 REPLIES 127

Reading everyone's responses is interesting.   

In my case, I can hit 5000 steps an hour on the most perfect day.  Though usually my hourly pace is about 4000 steps.  So it takes about 2.5 hours of walking to hit 10K.

Best Answer
I walk 1300 steps per km. That's a fairly active walk. If I stroll, it's closer to 1500 steps per km. I don't run!
Best Answer
0 Votes

If someone can sustain a 10 minute per mile running pace, 10,000 steps can be gotten in around an hour, maybe a few minutes more.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As a very active person it easy for me to make 10,000 steps a day. Sometimes I have to go walk in the evenings to just get 10,000 steps because I slack sometimes. I always make sure I have 10,000 steps, and 5 miles each day. Hopefully this will help you get your steps in because it is very important. Here is a tip, if you didn´t get all your steps in, go walking in the evening if you can.Smiley Wink

Best Answer

depends on many factors, health, stride length, average pace speed etc

the average walking pace is according to the British Heart Foundation

For a person with excellent fitness, an approximate moderate walking pace:

• 15 minutes per mile (4 miles per hour)
  • 9 minutes per kilometre (6.4 kilometres per hour)

A fast walking pace or speed is:

• 12 minutes per mile (5 miles per hour)
  • 7.5 minutes per kilometre (8 kilometres per hour)

An average walking pace on country and forestry footpaths is:

• 20 minutes per mile (3 miles per hour)
  • 12 minutes per kilometre (5 kilometres per hour)

Best Answer

The same for me too!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

It really depends. I do about 20 to 25 minutes of walking videos in the morning, plus I ride public transit and have to walk to transfer buses. Although I have a desk job, I make sure to get at least 250 steps an hour (I take the long way back from the restroom, and if I don't have to go, take a quick walk around the floor of my building.) I usually hit my 10,000 during my commute home when I'm transferring buses again. Because I'm vertically challenged, it takes me roughly 2,500 steps to get a mile.

All told, if I'm going at a fairly brisk pace, I get roughly 100 steps per minute.

Best Answer

Without any extra exercise type activities I hit 10,000 steps in an eight hour work day. Then usually end the day at 12-13/14 steps, my new goal is 15,000 steps which means I will need to start running with my dog and baby.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm not up to 10k a day yet, but I've found it takes me about 12 minutes to walk 1000 steps if I'm walking, so that would about 2 hours for me. If I'm just up working around the house it takes me about an hour to get 3-4k, so it would be about 2.5-3 hours that way... 

Best Answer

For me it is a bit over 3.5 miles -- I usually walk one mile in 20 minutes.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It takes me about an hour and a half (dropped 10 minutes from my time, woop woop!). I think it takes me slightly longer than usual, because I have to take mini breaks for my dogs.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Usually, I hit 10000 steps around 1-2pm ( depends on when I take my lunch break as this is when I run/walk/jog ). Looking at Today's data 42 minutes is equal 5601 steps. Adding steps from the morning ( I have a little bit of walking on my way to work ) I easily get 10k. If I don't do my lunch workout then I hit 10k by the evening. Today I ended up with 21112 steps in total, so I guess half day per each 10k would be good approximation in my case 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

By the end of my 8 hour night shift I'm usually between 7-8k steps then I'm on the treadmill for an hour and get about 9100-9300 steps. By midnight, I'm usually between 18-20k steps. This charge hr2 is a huge motivator 👍

Best Answer

If you are walking at an average pace you will get between 6,000 and 7,000 steps per hour. You can easily get 10,000 steps in under two hours. Depending on how fast you run, you may be able to get 10,000 steps in just 1 hour. It's not impossible.

Best Answer

I tracked my steps for an hour at a time on various days, and I'm averaging 7.5k-8k steps an hour. Hope this helps, Happy stepping😊

Best Answer

I can walk about 4 mph on a treadmill and that takes me about an hour fifteen, but outside a little more.

Best Answer

Hi there..it depends on how much walking you do and how fast you walk. It’s roughly about 1,875 per hour. But each person is different. I’m an active person I go to the gym 4 to 5 times a week. But focus more on weight classes, barre, Pilates & kick boxing. So I don’t get in as much steps as I would like. I hope this helped 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in my 60s and a bit heavy, but I can still log 10,000 steps in under an hour during some of my faster/longer training runs and virtually always in races of eight miles or longer.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunnerwrote:

It’s roughly about 1,875 per hour.

@SunsetRunner, did you mean "per mile" and not "per hour"?  The average person walks 3 miles per hour, and averages about 2,000 steps per mile (6,000 steps per hour). This would put a 5 mile walk at about 10,000 steps - the amount recommended by the American Heart Association.

Best Answer

It’s take a 100 minutes to walk 10,000 steps but if your walking at a faster space then it will only take 77 minutes.

Best Answer