Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Not Tracking When Screen Off

ANSWERED

Until the most recent iOS update, the Fitbit App on my iPhone 11 Pro would accurately track my distance using GPS when I manually started a run.  It would continue to track even when I locked my phone screen. As of the iOS 17.4 update, GPS stops tracking through Fitbit when my screen is locked.  I confirmed that my Fitbit location services are set to “always on,” but it’s still not working.

Anyone else have this issue or a solution?

---

Fitbit released an app update three days ago (version 4.13), but unfortunately it didn't address this issue.  It has to be a software problem. I would be interested to know if anyone who hasnt updated their iPhone to ios 17.4 and uses the fitbit app on their phone to track walking/running is having this problem.

---

Just curious, did you also update your iPhone with ios 17.4?

Best Answer
73 REPLIES 73

Just yesterday - after more than a week of the problem - because the forum suggested it. The version before ios17.4 didn't work either... I have yet to try the new version with my walk today but I am not hopeful...

Best Answer

@Jbe77 @waterpolo_mom , Thank you for your messages and Feedback. I'll pass your information to our team, and let them know. 

They are still working on a solution. I'll update this thread should I get more information. 

I appreciate you keeping us updated. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer

Hi Juan, wanted to bring it to your attention that for the last few days I’ve been using the run shortcut on my Fitbit to log my runs (as opposed to starting the exercise in the phone app). I’ve been running this exact route for almost two years and my Fitbit has always shown it as 3.0 miles. Every time that I’ve done this, using the Fitbit itself, it keeps coming up as 2.83 or 2.84 miles instead of 3. And since it doesn’t think I’m running as far as I have, it’s showing a slower pace too. The phone app clearly isn’t working, and now going through the Fitbit isn’t accurate either. I’ve updated the app to the newest version too and it still has this problem. This is ridiculous.

Best Answer

waterpolo_mom_0-1711197802134.png

it now appears that my fitbit isn't tracking my sleep properly... not sure what to do about any of it now…

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also having this same issue, it won't accurately track my route if anything other than the Fitbit app is on the screen (any other app or Lock Screen kills the GPS accuracy for the duration it is used). This is literally what I use the Fitbit for.... incredibly frustrating. I have an iPhone 15 pro max and running iOS 17.3.1.

Best Answer

Hi everybody ! Thank you for your reports and information.  

As mentioned our team is aware of this and is still investigating. Your information will help our team identify the issue at hand. 

I appreciate you sharing your screenshots and keeping us updated. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer

I’m experiencing the same and it is very frustrating. 
I have moved to using other apps (MapMyRun integrated to MyFitnessPal integrated to Fitbit) and with the same phone setup (phone locked and in pocket), MapmyRun records the gps route perfectly in the background and then stores the exercise in Fitbit, of course with no details of the exercise other than distance, time, and heart rate.

I just hope that the issues with the Fitbit iOS app can be resolved so that the app can be used for what it was intended. Otherwise I may be shifting to using these other apps. 

Best Answer

Here are some screenshots 

IMG_4337.png

IMG_4339.png

This one shows how far off the street it is from yesterday. 

IMG_4340.png

This is what it used to look like before it broke. 

IMG_4341.png

This shows that it tracked as a run, not everything as a walk. 
Please fix it makes my watch almost useless without this tracking. It also is absolutely horrible for my runs not knowing my pace or distance. 

Best Answer

I have an android and it's doing the same thing.  It's like the GPS locks and doesn't advance

Best Answer

I am missing the map and heart/pace etc. It was tracking fine last week. I noticed that somehow the GPS had been switched off and the run hadn't been recorded at all. I turned GPS back on within the run on my watch but although it records my runs now I am still missing the map, lap breakdown etc. 

Best Answer

Hi

I have exactly the same problem. I leave my phone at home click exercise then run - when I get back chunks of the run are missing on the map but time is still recorded, thereby giving a false reading of time per KM

It's very frustrating as this used to work. Can you make it a priority to fix as it must be affecting lots of runners.

Thanks 

Best Answer

Mine is the same iPhone 12. Strava works just fine but like you the Fitbit GPS is not working- rather irritating tbh 🙄. I have tried resets and all updates but still the same. 

Best Answer
Thanks for yours support

Greating;

Re Leisberg
Best Answer
0 Votes
my issue is similar for my walking. i walk everyday and as soon as the
screen locks on my android it freezes the GPS tracker. I can't find
anywhere in the settings to figure out what is going on.
Best Answer

ColtsFanDay_0-1712017679503.png

Here is what it’s doing!

Best Answer

Hi

i have same issue. I know my loop is 2k. But with phone on gps shoes <2k resulting in slow pace. 
very frustrating 

Best Answer

Same exact problem with the iPhone app. Incredibly frustrating. Watch GPS is inaccurate at best and now with the phone app unable to track when the screen is off is no good. Renders it useless. Needs a fix ASAP. 

Best Answer

I agree!  I have been having this issue for a few weeks now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
So if we are all having this issue what do we do?
Best Answer

I don’t know, I have tried everything suggested.  No fix that I can see.  

Best Answer