Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Not Tracking When Screen Off

ANSWERED

Until the most recent iOS update, the Fitbit App on my iPhone 11 Pro would accurately track my distance using GPS when I manually started a run.  It would continue to track even when I locked my phone screen. As of the iOS 17.4 update, GPS stops tracking through Fitbit when my screen is locked.  I confirmed that my Fitbit location services are set to “always on,” but it’s still not working.

Anyone else have this issue or a solution?

---

Fitbit released an app update three days ago (version 4.13), but unfortunately it didn't address this issue.  It has to be a software problem. I would be interested to know if anyone who hasnt updated their iPhone to ios 17.4 and uses the fitbit app on their phone to track walking/running is having this problem.

---

Just curious, did you also update your iPhone with ios 17.4?

Best Answer
73 REPLIES 73

Yeah I don’t know. @JuanFitbit stopped responding to this thread weeks ago and Fitbit apparently won’t fix the issue. 

Best Answer

I have exactly the same issue and no longer track my runs with my Fitbit it’s totally pointless.  If this isn’t rectified soon I will be saying bye bye to all Fitbit models and shopping elsewhere. 

Best Answer
I agree.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just downloaded the recent Fitbit app update for iPhone, version 4.14, and it didnt fix the problem.  Fitbit app GPS is still not tracking when screen is off.

Best Answer

Hi everybody ! Thank you for your reports and information.  

As mentioned our team is aware of this and is still investigating. Your information will help our team identify the issue at hand. 

Just to clarify! I marked my post as Best Answer, so other users who visit the thread know easily that we are aware and working on a solution. 

I appreciate you sharing your information and keeping us updated. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the update.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
It's very frustrating and they don't seem to be concerned at fitbit.
Best Answer
I agree. It’s one of the reasons I wanted the watch to track my runs.
I don’t know whether it’s anything to do with Google taking over?
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Nope I ordered a new one thinking it was only mine and then come across this thread and sent it back. My friend did the same and when she realised it was no fault of her own too late to return it.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
No they don't seem to be. They will be missing out on a lot of sales.
Best Answer
I am wondering the same thing! I didn't link my fitbit to Google, on
principle. But maybe it still had an effect?
Best Answer

10000% - I went from considering the Fitbit Premium membership to now being ready to smash the device and get a Garmin. Not impressed with the "answer"..

Best Answer

I now use my 25 yr old £10 M&S watch to time my laps

Best Answer
0 Votes
They have me a whole lot of things to do ignoring the fact that I said
there is a large community of people with the issue. However, after
trying everything they said and nothing worked I turned off my power saver
and now it's working.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Oooooh I will try that! Did you mean the power saver on your phone or on your device?

I went for a 15KM run today (according to strava data) and also using my fitbit app + the device directly to track the run per other peoples' advice and  the phone app randomly stopped tracking at 5 km, but registered as a separate exercise... My device said I went 13.89 km but the GPS data is an absolute mess. Pink is what the "GPS Connected device" registered as the run, blue is the approximate route I actually took. Seriously so frustrated!!  Stupid run.PNG

Best Answer
0 Votes

My maps are bizarre too pointless using the tracker full stop 

Best Answer
0 Votes

unbelievable, this should be prio 1 in 5 minutes…

Will move away after being a customer since 2015 if this persists.

Was running with gps on my charge 5 (not ideal, super erratic and barely useable). But guess what? As of today that stopped finding gps lock.

What an atrocious way to mess up a product and platform.

Best Answer

Totally agree am using Strava atm 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm on Android and I think I am having the same issue. Got a Charge 6 a few days ago. When I start a workout on my charge 6 with dynamic GPS, it connects to my phone and uses it fine. But when I lock my phone (or just don't touch my phone after starting the workout), it vibrates and switches to the built in GPS instead. Only way to make it track is to end the workout and start another, or to keep the phone unlocked in my pocket. 

What a weird and frustrating bug! 

Best Answer

Doesn’t look like it will be fixed anytime soon either 

Best Answer
0 Votes