Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic counting steps while not in use

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Starting yesterday afternoon (10/4) my Ionic began to count steps nearly continuously. I have tried to restart 4 times now, and nothing seems to fix the continuous step count.

I have completed the update, but nothing seems to be helping the sensor to act as normal. Any help would be appreciated!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
54 REPLIES 54

@SeattleRagan wrote:

Starting yesterday afternoon (10/4) my Ionic began to count steps nearly continuously. I have tried to restart 4 times now, and nothing seems to fix the continuous step count.

I have completed the update, but nothing seems to be helping the sensor to act as normal. Any help would be appreciated!

Is the Ionic counting steps even when you're not moving?  If you leave it on your wrist all day and you walk (or move), it's supposed to count steps.

Kristen | USA Cruising through the Lifestyle Forums

one cruise ship at a time!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, it’s counting steps while I’m not wearing it, while I am wearing it, while it is on the charger, etc. it hasn’t stopped. The past two days have gotten to 50k steps.

Sent from my iPhone.. May auto correct errors be on my side!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have 135000 steps today.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same problem. My watch woke me up at 2 am to say I’ve made 11,500 steps. I’m presently at 51,313 and climbing. I factory reset it after it said I was getting no steps. I was starting to wonder if it was a sensor out. I may try a factory reset again. The phone at least saves all your data 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Past 2 days, fitbit Ionic is 150,000 steps plus....same as previous comment.  

Plugged in, not, on or off.

Is there a fix?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SEKeener @SeattleRagan @Lucylove89 @Ravy @DramaQueenDiva, it's great to see you in the Fitbit Community.

I'm sorry to hear that your Fitbit Ionic is counting steps while charging or not being worn. Thanks for trying to resolve this problem before getting in touch with us.

This is definitely not an expected behavior. Please check out if anything, such as a fan, is vibrating on the same surface as the device while on charge. If so, place it on a different surface without any vibrations, and see if the issue persists. Additionally, you can perform a restart of your device by following these steps.

Please let me know how it goes.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Rebooting or resetting does not fix this. I also did a factory reset.  This looks like a defect. This is going to be my last FitBit. It’s happened with Surge, Ionic, and Blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes

HI Omar.

Fitbit ended up replacing my Ionic, since you are correct, factory reset did not fix.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Omar-Jet Thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community and for following troubleshooting steps. I noticed that you contacted the Customer Support. I'm pretty sure they will do their best to provide assistance as soon as possible. 

@SEKeener It's great to see you around. I'm glad to hear that you received a replacement Fitbit Ionic. Hope that everything works as intended from now on.

Keep on stepping.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit is doing the same thing worked on this for 3 Days call Fitbit and the guys will nice but at the end of the day they told me I was 30 days out of warranty and I couldn't get a replacement and this was a replacement for the last one I like Fitbit but just like the Aria scale it's all going out the door they gave me a discount on a new Fitbit but for the price of the ionic that's still just does not work and I also lose my corporate discount using their discount I've been a long-time customer but not any longer I won't recommend them to anyone

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, my ionic just started to do the same and have tried factory reset 3 times with no luck. I purchased in Hong Kong and now working in another country so I am sure I cannot get it replaced. 

Dear Mr. Fitbit, please confirm you won’t replace this expensive device for a new one - I am in Istanbul now so if your customer service is any good you will contact me and tell me where to replace in Istanbul. 

If not, I think I am with everyone else this is my last Fitbit. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It was definitely my last. It sits in my shower. I use apple now

V/R,

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went away from Fitbit after going through two ionics and the third finally really crapping out. I really didn’t want to get away from Fitbit, but I went to apple instead due to the malfunction and seeing multiple others with the same issue. Sometimes you gotta know when to cut your losses

Best Answer

My ionic started this 2 days ago... Its counting steps non stop, it doesn't matter if im wearing it or not. A factory reset didn't fix it... afraid it's defective. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is the Fitbit near a vibration source like a fan, dehumidifier, or even a computer CPU? It can see the vibration as steps and add false steps.

You can enter a driving record to get rid of them

Delete Steps

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, you cannot fix it all you can do is try to get it replaced as a
defective product. For the money charged this should not happen and Fitbit
is monitoring this conversation but they don’t take a proactive steps to
contact us!!!

Very disappointing.
Best Answer
0 Votes

No it's not near a fan or appliance. Its counting steps no matter the environment. I've not changed anything with the use thereof same as since I got it at Christmas. The display won't sleep (always on) as if the motion sensing is always on. It's defective, we are in touch with fit bit for a replacement. This is a known issue and a bit disappointing as it's only 6 months in use. 

Best Answer
No it’s not near anything it will add 20-30k steps in a couple of hours and
the battery just goes dead.

Why don’t you just organize a replacement for me you must know your
suggestions are time wasters!!

Prove to me Fitbit is serious about serving it’s customers and addressing
malfunctioning equipment...I have invested over 1500 US into your
products!! Where is your responsibility?
Best Answer

Dear Fitbit Moderator,

Your silence is deafening!! Why is it that you are not able to make any suggestions Or offers to deal with malfunctioning Fitbit equipment? 

I will I’ll be interested to see if you have the professionalism to respond to this community of users who all have malfunctioning Ionic Watches. 

We are all waiting to hear what practical steps Fitbit is going to take to rectify this problem. 

Game on!! 

Best Answer