Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Ionic counting steps while not in use

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Starting yesterday afternoon (10/4) my Ionic began to count steps nearly continuously. I have tried to restart 4 times now, and nothing seems to fix the continuous step count.

I have completed the update, but nothing seems to be helping the sensor to act as normal. Any help would be appreciated!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
54 REPLIES 54

Fitbit stepped up and is sending me a replacement Ionic, their customer service was helpful and responded quickly. Luckily I was in the warranty period and fingers crossed that the new Ionic they send me won't have the same malfunction.   

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good to hear I sent an email to their customer service yesterday and
waiting to hear back I will push for a replacement too...
Best Answer
0 Votes

We talked to the customer service through a chat online on the Fitbit site.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome and thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community @Sunking @rletchford @Lucylove89 @Rogdean. Sorry for the delayed response. I regret to hear that you are experiencing difficulties with the steps registered by your Fitbit Ionic. 

@rletchford Thank you for following our troubleshooting steps and for your feedback. I noticed that you contacted Customer Support. I'm pretty sure they will do their best to provide assistance as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience.

@Lucylove89 I'm sorry to hear that you have gone to a different company. Our team is constantly working to improve Fitbit products and services. In order to see if we can provide assistance I opened a case with Customer Support. They should be in touch with you on the next days.

@Rogdean I'm glad to hear that you will receive a replacement Fitbit Ionic. Thank you for letting us know and thank you for your kind words about Customer Support.

Thanks for your support @WendyB.

If you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Hai ricevuto la risposta che stavi cercando? Accetta il post come soluzione!

¿Has recibido la respuesta que estabas buscando? ¡Acepta el post como solución!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did contact Fitbit support, but they would not replace the Fitbit Ionic as they said I was outside the warranty period - from my perspective this is a JOKE!! The device is clearly defective and for the sum of USD$300.00 it should have a shelf life of more than 18 months.........I don't think that FItbit is doing the right thing by its customers when a device is clearly defective whatever your warranty period........

Unfortunately, you don't have my support anymore and you can be assured I am not recommending Fitbit to anyone moving forward - this is the second time I have had a device fail and gotten no support from Fitbit to replace - I am over it with Fitbit devices malfunctioning and then getting no support from Fitbit to replace them. 

Best Answer

Thanks for getting in touch @rletchford.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel like that. We really appreciate your time and effort while dealing with this situation. I apologize for any inconvenience this could have caused to you.

Feel free to contact us if you have any question.

Have you received the answer you were looking for? Choose the post as the best answer!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Really? That is your answer to a problem that has been going on for almost 2 years? Sorry for the inconvenience?

You know exactly what the problem is, so own up to that and tell us all how to fix this. If it is your own software upgrade that broke this, then again own up and replace our devices even if we are out of warranty....same if this is a hardware issue. Clearly if this step issue stops while you are charging and then starts right back up once you stop charging and it happened to almost everyone after a software upgrade...you know what the problem is.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit Community @brbates99.

Thanks for your feedback. To evaluate your case I sent your information to Customer Support. Please check your inbox on the next days. Please check your inbox on the next days. They will let you know how to proceed.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My watch is doing the same thing, I am at 18 months and spoke with customer service to go through all the same trouble shooting steps only to be told they couldn't do anything because I was outside the warranty period.  I find it appalling that they clearly know about this issue as there are multiple threads on here, and are refusing to acknowledge or rectify it. I will certainly be switching to another company for my next device as I am incredibly disappointed in Fitbit after spending $300 on this watch.

Best Answer

This is how they wanted to help me😤

Hi, 

We see you haven’t taken advantage of our 25% discount offer. As we value you as a member of the Fitbit family, we increased our 25% discount offer to 40% .

Please use the new link below as the original link will no longer work. This offer expires in 15 days and only applies to a new Fitbit device. This offer cannot be combined with any other offers

If you have any questions, please reply directly to this email.

Happy stepping,
Team Fitbit

* This offer applies to the price of the tracker only, not tax and shipping costs. This offer can only be applied towards one Fitbit tracker currently in stock. This offer is not applicable to Fitbit Ace or Ace 2. This offer cannot be combined with any other offers and it cannot be transferred or resold. This offer cannot be returned, redeemed for cash, or applied as payment on any account except where required by law. The discount link expires 15 days after receipt. This offer cannot be applied toward any Fitbit products that are available for pre-order only.

Fitbit and the Fitbit Logo are registered trademarks of Fitbit, Inc.
Fitbit, Inc. — 199 Fremont Street, 14th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105
ref:_00D40N2lj._5000b1U6gSr:ref

Best Answer
0 Votes
I ended up switching to apple. I’m not going to say it’s better, but thus
far I’ve by far less issues. This was the one time I was disappointed with
Fitbit and my whole family utilize Fitbit, but I’ve had less issues with my
Apple Watch. The glass doesn’t break as easily as “guerrilla glass” and I
can still go in water with it and be safe. I’m a beach person and kayaking
is also a past time. I’ll take the price and run with what’s more feasible
including the lifetime guarantee. I paid for quality
Best Answer

Thanks for sharing, I will be falling you just as soon as I have the funds.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I wasn’t rude nor polite. I just switched over and spent the 500 for a
lifetime warranted Watch. I ignored their email. Someone addressed them for
not responding and they finally addressed me months later. I’d rather
replace than keep upgrading or spending money on something defective
Best Answer

I told them I was not going to accept anything other than a new device. They are up to 50% off now even though i have told them 3 or 4 times now I will only accept a new device. They know exactly what is causing this for sure and just will not do the right thing to keep customers. If you factory reset the device the issue does not happen for me. However the problem with that is they require you to install the latest update to use the device, when you get the latest update BAM the issue is back. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
So what you are saying there is a conspiracy by Fitbit to defraud it’s cus
and force them to buy new devices? It would be great if someone could find
evidence of this fraud.
Best Answer

Actually you said that, what I said was they know what the problem is and they are unwilling or unable to fix it. Instead of providing a replacement device, they are trying to get users to buy another device with no guarantee that the new device won't break in the same manner.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The latest update even failed. I’ve since gotten devices from Fitbit for my
family prior to me not knowing the device was defective. It was also my
second defective device. My first one, the guerilla glass shattered. My
second was the steps. First it wasn’t counting steps at all, factory reset
and every second of my life was a step.
Best Answer

Welcome and thank you for visiting the Fitbit Community @Laurenroth11 @SunsetRunner @Lucylove89 @brbates99 @rletchford. Sorry for the delayed response.

@Laurenroth11 I noticed that you contacted Customer Support already. I'm pretty sure they will provide assistance to your case.

@SunsetRunner @Lucylove89 @brbates99 @rletchford Thanks for your feedback. For those who haven't tried it already, you can perform a factory reset of your Fitbit Ionic by doing the following, but keep in mind that you apps, stored data, personal information, credit and debit cards, and saved settings will be deleted from the device:

On your device, open the Settings app > About > Factory Reset or Clear User Data.

Feel free to contact us at any time.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Overall, I agree. A 50% discount on my near $400 device is not a deal
Best Answer
0 Votes
HI Folks.

I had this problem in Jan 2019. Went through all the requirements that
fitbit asked of me, and they sent me a replacement. I did spend time on
phone and tried everything with them before they sent me one that worked
(perhaps it was new or refurbished) - New one is fine since then.

With Gratitude
Best Answer
0 Votes