Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Firmware release - 27.31.1.29

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi all!

I am super excited to announce the release of Fitbit OS 1.2! (Firmware Version: 27.31.1.29)

We've begun to roll out this new firmware to 10% of Ionic users. This is a progressive rollout, and all Ionic users can expect to have it within a few weeks. We roll out releases in phases as a cautionary measure so that we can monitor performance closely and make adjustments if needed. This firmware update includes:

Feature update:

What’s fixed:

• We fixed an issue where some customers’ clocks didn’t update after switching time zones.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers experienced syncing issues after interrupting clock face installation.
  • We fixed an issue where some customers noticed the Exercise app crashed after double tapping an exercise.
  • This release also includes bug fixes and stability improvements.

Click here to view our Fitbit OS help article!

Instructions for updating your Ionic can be found here.

I would also recommend updating your Ionic over Wi-Fi as this can greatly reduce the time it can take to get set up. For more information on connecting your Ionic to Wi-Fi, check out this article

If you run into any trouble updating your Ionic, I can also recommend reviewing these troubleshooting tips

Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback on the latest release. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know! 

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
447 REPLIES 447

I have had syncing issues occasionally.  What has worked for me is to turn off the bluetooth on my phone, wait about 10 seconds and then turn it back on.  After doing this, my Ionic always begins syncing immediately.  Maybe this will work with yours.

Best Answer

Thank you. I have tried this without success. Only solution that works is resetting everything. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'll have to give that a try.  Never waited that long, after all, in nanoseconds that's an eternity.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fantastic update!  Please note the sarcasm. The install was easy but the gps tracking went from bad but acceptable to what is this thing even doing.  Unfortunately I like many others want nothing more than to return this beta device but are outside of the return window. Another month of this and I'll just buy the Fenix 5 and give this to my 8y/o at least he won't care about the accuracy......

Best Answer

Hi.

just bought an ionic on Saturday. I am having problems syncing to my app. surely when I started my ionic it would of the new firm ware.

Best Answer
0 Votes
If you just bought it it was likely in someone’s inventory and will need the update I bet. Just use the blue tooth if you have issues. Takes longer but it works. Now if the heart rate monitor would work accurately life would be good.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

The latest update finally brought reliable notifications between the ionic and my phone. What I believed was broken through this latest update was exercising/heart-rate monitoring. My heart-rate during exercise has dropped considerably, sometimes to even lower than my normal activity. HR has become inaccurate. Weather still doesn't work since day 1.

To be fair to consumers, fitbit should print on packaging that the ionic only works with a list of phone models instead of having people who trust the brand to go through a lengthy period of grief with no solution. Many of these people (myself included) wanted to have a refund but fell out of the refund window when we eventually gave up after spending a frustrating 100 man hours voodoo-ing on various solution suggestions which didn't work.

Utterly disappointed!
Best Answer

Whilst i seem to be lucky in firmware update only took 20 mins extremelly disappointed that i have had to restart my ionic twice to trigger syncing and after firmware text notifications stopped unless I restart. Trying to sync to Samsung A5. PS I have now removed bluetooth sync and using wifi its now syncing immediately and receiving all texts and notifications.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi All,

My Ionic was working quite well before the update (except that my paywave stopped working and I had to manually remove my cards).  However, after this update I have a few issues:

- steps are only counted with exaggerated arm movements. Holding my arm up looking at my watch while I walk does not count steps.

- HR seems to be higher during exercise but need more time to be sure of this.

AND THE BIG ONE:

- My Ionic is now just a watch on my wrist.  The screen swipe and all buttons simply make my Ionic vibrate.  I have done about 6 or 8 resets and also removed the device from my account and re-added it but still the same issue. It is still sort of counting steps and heart-rate but I can't open any functions on the watch or view any apps.

I have had 3 Fitbits over the years, and so far this device (the most expensive) has been extremely disappointing.  The bugs are way too obvious to have slipped through testing.

Best Answer

@Stixywrote:

Hi.

just bought an ionic on Saturday. I am having problems syncing to my app. surely when I started my ionic it would of the new firm ware.

Most new devices, no matter what it is (phones, computers, etc) need to be checked for updates in the software.  

@Stixywrote:

Hi.

Best Answer

I have also had some issues with my Ionic after the firmware update, specifically during runs.  My GPS is less accurate than before the update (short by 0.5-1 mile over a 6 mile run), and more concerning is my step count is way down now.  I am short 3,000-4,000 steps over the same distance.  It does not even track with the GPS.  Rough math shows me taking over 5'-5.5' per stride.  I am only 6'3 and am not sprinting.

Have not noticed any other issues yet, but will keep an eye out.  Please help!

Best Answer

All Sorted. thought I had tried everything until I realised I hadnt powered the ionic off and on again. Works a treat now.

Best Answer

All Sorted. thought I had tried everything until I realized I hadn't powered the ionic off and on again. Works a treat now.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It’s working fine now. I deleted everything, app from phone, device from app, everything I could think of, and started from scratch, restarting all.
It now appears to be working on my iPhone X.

This is not the first time I have had to do this; it is just a shame that one must jump through these hurdles when upgrading.

Bill Campbell
Best Answer
I’ve noticed that I am losing a lot of steps in comparison with my wife, which has always been the case, shorter stride, etc., but it is much worse now. I haven’t drilled down to the exact cause, but it may not be counting steps as effectively.
Also, I have noticed the HR monitor runs a bit high.
I have an Apple Watch, which I am not using, but I recall that I lost interest early on because it seemed so beta. I’m feeling a little like that now. Almost like it was released too early, and is more promising in its future potential. I’ll hang in for awhile...

Bill Campbell
Best Answer

THANK YOU

Now it is working on my Iphone6s also. Why could nit the support team tell me this? I have many times removed the Ionic but have not deleted the app before.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had deleted the app several times, but not until I disconnected the device from my account, THEN deleted the app, then restarted everything, did the update “take.”

Bill Campbell
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks all sorted now.
I shut down the ionic and restarted that seemed to do the trick.
Best Answer
0 Votes
ERRM Thanks for that bit Harsh !!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Lauscher, I for one am getting a little tired of your continued use of that word.  If you don't have anything useful to post, why don't you just cool it. You would be doing this old fogey a favor.

Thank you.

Best Answer