Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic GPS not connecting

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The entire reason I bought the Ionic is because it has a dedicated GPS chip inside the device, meaning regardless of my phone reception, my run should be tracked via the dedicated GPS, well I've been on a few runs now and the watch gets stuck on "Connecting..." and it never connects to the GPS which is a bummer because I don't want to have to take this back and spend an addition $300 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity 

Moderator edit: Word choice

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@SlipperySix This is usually because of the gps not knowing where it is and having to poll all available satellites rather than knowing which satellites to actually look for before calculating its position. This takes a lot longer than when doing a start when the gps has a rough idea of where it is.

The process is quicker if you keep the Ionic stationary the first time it tries this, as moving it further complicates the process. Once done, subsequent start ups should be quicker

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
44 REPLIES 44

@SlipperySix This is usually because of the gps not knowing where it is and having to poll all available satellites rather than knowing which satellites to actually look for before calculating its position. This takes a lot longer than when doing a start when the gps has a rough idea of where it is.

The process is quicker if you keep the Ionic stationary the first time it tries this, as moving it further complicates the process. Once done, subsequent start ups should be quicker

Best Answer

I set it outside on the ground for about 10 minutes while it was connecting and it finally did. I went out back into an exercise and the GPS connected much faster after that. Thanks for the input friend!

Best Answer

Thanks this worked!

Apple Watch Series 3 GPS Cellular Nike , Ionic (Retired), Charge 2 (Retired), One (Retired)| Left the FitBit ecosystem.
Best Answer

Mine regularly loses reception on a run and fails to reconnect unless I stop and wait.

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer

This. All the time and it is beyond frustrating. 

It connects right away but then a half mile in to my run it just disconnects. Clear skies and no trees in sight. 

Best Answer

And again... :(And again... 😞

Lost GPS reception multiple times yesterday while out running. Today again on my bike. Clear skies and no obstruction.

Decided to bite the bullet and switch to Garmin - ordered a Fenix 5 Plus this afternoon. So after 2.5 years (and an Ionic, Aria and Surge later), it's adiós Fitbit!

Fenix 5 Plus. Previously Ionic and Surge. Google Pixels 3 and 5. Aria. Chromebook. Deezer and Audible.
Best Answer

And once again!And once again!

This afternoon's run. Took a few minutes to reacquire a GPS lock. Seems to be dropping off almost every activity now.

Best Answer

Since i have bought Ionic, i have run two 10K marathons, both the time it lost GPS connection. At first one it calculated 9.58km and on second run it never connected after 6km. I cannot stop during a marathon. Yes i started running only after GPS was connected. Please help fix this.

Best Answer

Buller..Buller?

Anybody?

Im having this issue as well

Send me your ionic?

Moderator Edition: Format

Best Answer

My problem was fixed after i did this. Before every run I shutdown and start ionic. No it doesnt disconnect.

Best Answer

@preshx18 I'm so glad to hear that the problem was resolved. Thank you for posting the update here. Don't hesitate to get back if you see something unusual and I'll be glad to help you.

@Superruss Thank you for joining us in this thread! I'm sorry to hear that your Fitbit Ionic GPS lost connection. I would like to follow up on this and would like to know if the issue persists or if it got resolved. Also, there are times that cloudy weather may affect the connection, also tall buildings.

If you see that the issue persists, please restart your tracker as described in this help article and try another activity using the GPS connection and see if the issue gets resolved.

Keep me posted on the outcome! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

Wait, I'm having the same problem, what did you do to fix it?

Best Answer

@Jjic wrote:

Wait, I'm having the same problem, what did you do to fix it?

Yes, I bought a Garmin Fenix 5 Plus.

Best Answer
well few days later my watch stopped working. then i called up the call
centre, sent them videos and they replaced my watch. Now no problem.

One thing that helped me is before a run, now i restart my watch and GPS is
not lost during the run.
Best Answer

That's good to hear @preshx18.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is really starting to 'rustle my jimmies', I bought this watch because one of the key features was in-built GPS so I don't have to bring my phone along on runs. I find myself having to wait 15-20m every time pre-run just so it finds my location.

Multime restarts, factory resets, re-syncs, nothing seems to help this issue. I'm currently waiting 15m with it sat outside trying to find the loc...

Best Answer
I got a new Iconic watch-just slipped under warranty by mere hours. Seems a to be working ok.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine seems to be better, but GPS could use more power, even trees block it,
how does your phone GPS in comparison?
Best Answer
0 Votes
One of the main reasons I got a replacement was because GPS was dropping off and hard to connect. This was like in the 12th month of owning it. The new has dropped connection a couple of times but I don’t know if it was user error or what. I use STRAVA whenever I go mountain biking so if one falls off I’ll still have some kind of record.
Best Answer