Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Setup Checklist

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Everyone -- I really appreciate your candid feedback on your setup experience. 

After reviewing this discussion, I want to provide tips to help you setup your shiny, new Ionic successfully. Please understand that during this process there are certain steps that can take longer, especially the Firmware update, so patience is key. This is the largest firmware we've ever released and contains more data than any of our past Firmware update releases.

During setup, I recommend connecting to a strong personal or work Wi-Fi network that requires a password (public networks like coffee shops or bookstores should be avoided). If you're not connected to strong Wi-Fi connection or using Bluetooth, the process can take as long as 2 hours or more. So please make sure your Wi-Fi connection is strong. 

With that being said, let's get you setup!

Setup checklist

1. Start by making sure your device meets the requirements
  2. Un-pair all Fitbit trackers in Bluetooth settings (if any are listed under devices in BT settings)   
  3. Remove all Fitbit trackers from your Fitbit account (If any other Fitbit trackers are setup to your account already)
  4. Turn Bluetooth off/on
  5. Perform a factory reset on Ionic (tap on Settings/ tap on About/ tap on Factory Reset)
  6. Restart your device (phone or computer)
  7. Plug-in Ionic to charge somewhere close to your internet router
  8. Go through the setup process (instructions start on page 9 of the manual) 

What if setup still doesn't work? 

Try giving it another shot. Follow the instructions above and if you get stuck, please tell me where in the process Ionic stalled.

I want to acknowledge everyone's contribution to this discussion and express appreciation for bearing with us through some of the hiccups. We're always striving to improve our product and observe user sentiment and feedback to make improvements where necessary. Rest assured that future firmware and app updates will be released incrementally to address issues experienced by users.   

Lastly, I welcome you to continue sharing your experiences here and provide as much insight as you can. My hope for all of you is a successful setup so you can start reaching your health and fitness goals with help from Ionic!  

Best Answer
345 REPLIES 345

let's get this out in the open. This product is broken. Irreparably.

The plethora of syncing issues.

The horde of ridiculous connectivity issues and the inability to bypass them. 

Second FitBit I've had to deal with and these issues are only getting worse. I imagined that prior learnings from past releases would make a difference. My mistake. 

It is clearly apparent that functionality and usability do not factor into any design decisions being made here. 

Question, I guess, is... does anyone imagine these issues are being assessed or resolved by the "engineers"?  

Issue resolution log:

===============

FitBit stops syncing overnight with zero changes to anything

FitBit refuses to sync after:

i) Resetting FitBit

ii) Resetting phone

iii) Resetting router

iv) Flushing, removing and reinstalling app.

v) Removing unit from account and attempting to add device again

Device pairing now fails outright. 

vi) Device pairing fails after following steps (i) through (iv) again. Repeatedly.

vii) Factory resets permits pairing to progress.. and the device pulls the same update it did.. yesterday... from scratch.

How is any of the above remotely acceptable on a brand new device? 

Couple of questionable design choices:

i) Why do I need an on-unit, on-phone/desktop *and* web-based configuration methodology. 

ii) Why, for the sake of all that is cute and furry, the need to use the phone's MAC? Why would the phone matter at all? No need for location services if you apply GUID at point of fabrication. 

iii) Surely, by now, the insane number of connecitvity/syncing issues should have been resolved? The software base and its evidently broken network/comms stack has to be one of the worst I have seen to date. 

So, I guess kudos to the team for the most un-'smart' watch out there?

Update:

Following second factory reset and update the unit has remained functional for more than a day.. .cautiously optimistic this one is now working. 

Developer hint: Maybe confirm if the firmware version before automatically pulling it again?

Best Answer
I well walk you though it.They do work

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S8+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I made an account for this forum just to discuss the HR issue with the Ionic...

**However** the HR data is the ONLY issue I have had with both of my Ionic's. (I returned the first to make sure the HR issue wasn't just a defective unit.)

Syncing, step count, GPS, sleep tracking, apps, watch faces, auto-on display etc...All work well for me. (With my particular phone)

They may have failed to ensure smooth operation with every phone, but they did manage to get it to communicate well with some devices.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Based on the suggestion on Averym’s Post ...

@averym wrote:
Been having similar issues. One thing I have discovered is that the ionic does not like to sync with multiple devices . If you have migrated from another fitbit, turn it off. I can’t get the ionic to sync to new or alt Wi-Fi but by turning off my other iPhone and other fitbit device I have got it to work reliably . Try that.or try reinstalling on your phone.

Avery 

Not sure if this is what actually did it, but I DID turn off my Fitbit Blaze this morning (via “Settings” - had’t known that was even possible until reading help articles yesterday) before again trying to connect my New Ionic. IT WORKED on the very FIRST TRY!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Moderator edit: removed personal info

Best Answer
Sounds like our experiences for two days. Definitely think they have a software issue. Finally relented, put back in the box and took back to the store, where I discovered many Iconics have been returned. Looks like they released this a little too soon. Still waiting for two days for level two support to respond. Could be they are working on a code fix.

Nana 52
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about you Ionic devices. I appreciate enormously to all of you who have tried some troubleshooting steps.

I see that some users have shared tips through this thread. For example, if you're having issues setting up your Ionic devices, then I recommend trying what @Sgt_Major posted here. However, if you've done that to no avail, then I suggest making sure that you're trying to set up your Ionic devices using a compatible device.

If, on the contrary, you have been able to set up your Ionic devices but are having problems syncing, then I noticed @averym's post had helped a couple of other fellow Ionic owners. Check it out here!

For further troubleshooting steps, you can refer to @CarlosCFitbit's useful post here or you can also check out this solid post by @MattFitbitSmiley Happy

I have also found steps on how to transfer your personal music to Ionic in one of @ErickFitbit's posts right here

I really hope this helps guys!  Feel free to post back. I'll be happy to help further!Smiley Very Happy Smiley Wink

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

Just upgraded to the Ionic from the Surge.   Ionic is transmitting data to the app but will not linkup via Bluetooth so no phone or text messages coming through.   Been working on it a couple days now so patience starting to wear thin.   Advice?    I’ve don e everything but factiry reset

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just bought an Ionic on the 29th, upgrading from a Surge, and I've had nothing but problems since. Having had a look at this page I'm now VERY worried I've bought a dud here. I could have bought a Garmin but stuck with fitbit for the ecosystem.

My Ionic synced once, when I set it up. Since then it can't sync. I've removed the device and readded, multiple times, restart bluetooth, followed the guide but now the app just says "Found it!" and Connecting is just spinning round.

I'm about to factory reset, which I don't want to do since I have 4 days of effort on there. Disappointing, but more worrying this might happen again.

Can we get some kind of statement as to why the Ionic is so poor at syncing because so far I've not seen any explanation of this. If we can't get one then I'll probably return it and go for the Garmin.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Factory reset and I'm now repaired. I'm not happy with that as a solution though, I lost all my progress for one thing, but the other is that I'm not confident this won't happen again. I'll monitor it, but I'd still like to know if this is an acknowledged fault and there's a fix incoming. If not then I'm going to exchange this weekend for an alternative.

Best Answer
0 Votes
So frustrating - my time is important and to release something like this is unacceptable. I work in the Tech field and this should go back to software and development. Took my iconic back. I have a regular fitbit ulta - no issues.
Best Answer
0 Votes

After finally getting my iPhone to see my New Ionic Fit bit it has stopped syncing. Last sync was Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017. No idea what to do now. I would hate to have to remove may device and then re-add it due to how long it took to originally connect. 

Anyone having problems with recent syncing? Tried searching for info but nothing that appears to answer the problem ... yet. I’ll continue to search.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KarenCat wrote:

After finally getting my iPhone to see my New Ionic Fit bit it has stopped syncing. Last sync was Sunday, Dec. 31, 2017. No idea what to do now. I would hate to have to remove may device and then re-add it due to how long it took to originally connect. 

Anyone having problems with recent syncing? Tried searching for info but nothing that appears to answer the problem ... yet. I’ll continue to search.

After searching for help and trying to follow a few, nothing worked. I tried ...

restarting my iPhone

restarting my Ionic

logging out of Fit Bit app

Nothing worked

I then tried uninstalling Fit Bit app

Reinstalling Fit Bit app

SUCCESS! All of my data was synced as soon as I opened the Fit App again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you migrate phones and you keep the old one active, turn off the blue tooth on old device as it may sync to wrong device and you’ll be fiddling with the new device not knowing what’s up.
When al else fails, shut down all Aps and turn off blue tooth and Wi-Fi, turn back on and it will probably work.

Avery 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, I gave up and took the watch back until they have the bugs worked out of the software.
Best Answer

Hi. I got the ionic as a Christmas present. It works great but I can’t find any of my friends to challenge. It has all my old contacts from when I had the flex but I can’t find new people (and they can’t find me). What do I need to do? 

Thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m not sure myself. I have sent out several challenges but never had anyone acknowledge or accept so I don’t even know if they got the challenge. I finally got mine to synchronize and Bluetooth to my phone after three factory resets.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

So why did it work for the first month, but after that quit syncing?!? Can't even get notifications anymore.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Go to the community tab. Add friends, ho to options. Fitbit will scan your address book for peoples emails that match. The Fitbit master list. If you have friends. Email addresses or Facebook addresses or Fitbit name like mine is Avery M,
Email me and I’ll you to a challenge
Then when you see other people on the challenge that look compatible, ask them to be your friend and then when daily and weekly challenges come up you can invite others or be invited
I’m in 2 different groups, daily, weekly and weekend warrior with a combination of the people in the group
Our weekly is crazy with people doing 65-100k on the work week challenge, with many lead changes and we all push each other

Best Answer
0 Votes

Please find another way to update the firmware and to transfer music other than wifi, i.e. Bluetooth or ???.  I had no idea that a "strong" wifi would be required and it took over 12 hours for the firmware update.  I have tried multiple times to transfer music and was only able to get 4 songs onto my Ionic. You need to have in the setup instructions that nobody else can be on the wifi.  I love the Ionic otherwise.

Best Answer
0 Votes