Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Setup Checklist

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Everyone -- I really appreciate your candid feedback on your setup experience. 

After reviewing this discussion, I want to provide tips to help you setup your shiny, new Ionic successfully. Please understand that during this process there are certain steps that can take longer, especially the Firmware update, so patience is key. This is the largest firmware we've ever released and contains more data than any of our past Firmware update releases.

During setup, I recommend connecting to a strong personal or work Wi-Fi network that requires a password (public networks like coffee shops or bookstores should be avoided). If you're not connected to strong Wi-Fi connection or using Bluetooth, the process can take as long as 2 hours or more. So please make sure your Wi-Fi connection is strong. 

With that being said, let's get you setup!

Setup checklist

1. Start by making sure your device meets the requirements
  2. Un-pair all Fitbit trackers in Bluetooth settings (if any are listed under devices in BT settings)   
  3. Remove all Fitbit trackers from your Fitbit account (If any other Fitbit trackers are setup to your account already)
  4. Turn Bluetooth off/on
  5. Perform a factory reset on Ionic (tap on Settings/ tap on About/ tap on Factory Reset)
  6. Restart your device (phone or computer)
  7. Plug-in Ionic to charge somewhere close to your internet router
  8. Go through the setup process (instructions start on page 9 of the manual) 

What if setup still doesn't work? 

Try giving it another shot. Follow the instructions above and if you get stuck, please tell me where in the process Ionic stalled.

I want to acknowledge everyone's contribution to this discussion and express appreciation for bearing with us through some of the hiccups. We're always striving to improve our product and observe user sentiment and feedback to make improvements where necessary. Rest assured that future firmware and app updates will be released incrementally to address issues experienced by users.   

Lastly, I welcome you to continue sharing your experiences here and provide as much insight as you can. My hope for all of you is a successful setup so you can start reaching your health and fitness goals with help from Ionic!  

Best Answer
345 REPLIES 345

The Ionic had a very rough long tiring setup. 

1st Try- red bar in app said it needed the update 

2nd Try- would not connect to home WiFi 

3rd Attempt - removed Ionic from app. 

4. Factory reset watch

5. Would not connect to home WiFi 

6. Tried Starbucks WiFi - Fitbit customer support says does not connect to public WiFi 

7. Factory reset on watch, error with red x stating data issue

8.Factory reset. Reset went well but didn’t connect to Bluetooth and yes Bluetooth was turned on and off several times and was away from other devices. 

9. I have an IPhone SE so I tried setting it up on the iPhone 7 Plus, and same issues happed as above.

10. Factory reset - all went well, connected to Bluetooth and WiFi 

11. No updatimf error on app for the first time so it looked promising. 

12. Syncing issue with watch and app. At this point, I started at 5 pm - 12 pm with this thing then went to sleep and work up at 3am and hit sync on the app and it finally worked. 

All this time, I was patient with customer support walking me through everything except the falling asleep part. I’m not upset but I hope Fitbit will at least send me a watch band or flyer for my time and patience. I hope this helps someone.

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity  

Best Answer

Had similar issues. Wouldn't sync with blue tooth. Reset. Wouldn't connect to wifi. Reset. Wouldn't download firmware update. Reset.

Only time I've ever had this happen with a Fitbit product. This is the first time I've ever posted here and did it solely to report this problem.

Best Answer

Had no issues at all, other than the software update took 1/2hr. I literally took it out of the box, plugged it in, launched the app on my phone, added the Ionic as a device and sat back and waited a bit. Oh, I had to type in my network wireless key at one point too.

Easy 

Best Answer

I had and am still having a similar experience. Yesterday I updated to the latest firmware. On my phone screen it said to be patient as this will take 5-10 minutes. It took 10 hours after being connected to my Mac overnight  — and then a long chat with the Help Desk. Frustrating!

Best Answer

I am on my third attempt to get this working with my iPhone 6+.....Quickly beginning to regret this purchase!

Best Answer

When setting up my New Ionic I get as far as entering the 4 digit code. After that the wifi set up says it can't connect to the ionic and when I go to bluetooth the update fails. Have tried the troubleshooting advice but nothing helps. Any advice appreciated?

Best Answer

I had the same- ended up restarting my phone and then entering the WiFi details in the app.  All was OK...with the WiFi but still not managed to use the watch as the firmware update fails repeatedly. To think I moved to fitbit because I got fed up with Garmin's dodgy software.... Things can get better can't they?

Best Answer

I had the same issue. Spent 5 hours and finally got it to work after multiple factory resets but still didn’t get to enjoy it because  after getting everything installed and getting past the update, the watch won’t stay connected to the app. The Bluetooth won’t sync so nothing can be customized such as changing the watch face. I tried it on two different iPhones. iPhone SE and IPhone 7 Plus. Both have the most up to date software. For $300 it should not be this hard. I know what I’m doing so i know it’s not me.

Best Answer

I know the feeling. I had no issues with my Fitbit Alta HR but I just had to have the latest technology and sold off a good thing. Never got the Ionic to be 100% functional.

Best Answer

It took me 3 attempts on the last attempt I removed all the existing Bluetooth connections on my phone and did a factory reset on the watch.  Managed to install but the watch seems to keep dropping the connection and I am now left with Clock Error as my message.  Pretty disappointed to be honest.  For this price it should be much slicker.

Best Answer

Same issue - can't connect to wifi. Update is way over 10 mins. via bluetooth.  For $300 this is terrible. The ionic is on a short leash and will be returned if things dont improve soon..... 

Best Answer

Mine is nothing but an expensive paperweight. I haven't been able to even get it turned on properly. I've been going back and forth with customer service all day. At this point even if I got it working I wouldn't trust the unit to keep working so I'm going to insist on a replacement in the morning. 

Best Answer

Much the same experience here.

Took an hour of many reboots and turning things on and off.

Reading a few others experiences, my best bit of advice to people setting it up for the first time would be to skip the Wifi. It honked up the Ionic pretty bad and seemed to lock out the Bluetooth.

Yes, it will take a little longer to sync that first time, but it seems the Bluetooth is at least a LOT more reliable than Wifi. Also you can turn the wifi on and try and set that up once the Bluetooth and sync is reliable.

Also, stick with it. It is worth it.

I had a rough start, and am still finding bugs, BUT, the screen is sunlight viewable and it seems they got the GPS dialed.

Other than that, functionally, its a super slow to sync Blaze. Looking forward to the updates.

Best Answer

Sorry to hear some are having problems with their Ionic.  I, personally, have NOT had a single glitch with the Ionic.  Some of the problems people may be experiencing, may have to do with the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth connection, opposed to the Ionic, since the Ionic is relying on those connections to accomplish some tasks.  I know, in the past, that has been a problem for devices that I would connect to my PC.  However, once those connection issues were resolved, things worked as they were supposed to.  Just some thoughts on what may be happening.  Again, my Ionic has not glitched once, but then again, I have NOT had any issues connecting to the two services mentioned above.  Good luck folks and keep the faith, the Ionic is worth the effort, IMO.....

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer

Two hours plus in here, several attempts switching from wifi download to Bluetooth download and still not updated. Now using my phone 4G to make sure connection speed isn't the issue. Says its updating on this attempt but not seen the original progress bar that appeared on the watch face the first time, or any indicative update time since.

Absolutely shocking out of the box experience. Using my 950XL , was considering swapping to my ipad to try a different OS but from your post doesn't fill me with hope.

Best Answer

I did get the firmware update to load via bluetooth (took about 2.5 hours) but still can't connect to wifi.  Going to give it a good look over the weekend and maybe give support a call to see if wifi issues can be resolved.  Definitely not an issue with my network - I'm in IT and know my way around troubleshooting technology.  First impressions are that the watch is nice looking and I guess some quirks are to be expected this early on.  Just hope they aren't significant enough to make me want an RMA.....

Best Answer

Thanks Camperguy (ditto on the IT bit !).  My Wifi connected for the very first setup and gave me the progress bar but once it bombed out half way in then that was that, can briefly connect to wifi at best now.

I'll kick off a fresh attempt and leave it for the 2.5 hours + now I've got a timeframe and know it actually might be doing something in the background.

I like the look and feel of it for sure, screen looks bright, would have been nice to well...actually have used it by now of course! Fingers crossed.

Cheers, Alex

Best Answer

Sorry to hear others are having a problem but maybe it is not the Ionic maybe it is their Wi-Fi or other devices as mine was running right out of the box.

I avoided the desire to slap it right on my wrist and actually started to charge it while setting up the device. I set up Wi-Fi with no issues (Verizon FiOS). If you are having issue with your Wi-Fi, you might want to check to ensure access through the firewall. I also have a dual-band router and although the Ionic cannot connect to 5GHz, it connected to the 2.4GHz band without issues but having dual-band does reduce the traffic to make connections easier. The Ionic cannot connect to WPA enterprise, or public networks that require logins, subscriptions, or profiles so there are some other potential issues that you should check out if you are having a problem. I would also suggest testing your Wi-Fi signal strength to make sure you are getting a good signal and if not move closer to your router for the setup.

The new Firmware did take about 20 minutes to update but the new IOS on my iPhone 8 took about the same amount of time. I also set up the Ionic to the Wi-Fi in my gym and at work and no problem with either of these networks and both are public networks.

Bluetooth pairing with phone worked well but took a little longer with my PowerBeat3 headphones but that was my mistake because I thought I could pair the headset to the Ionic similar to what I did with the iPhone. I should have read the instructions for the PoweBeat pairing and that would have been completed a lot sooner.

The Pandora setup look a little longer and I made the mistake of putting the watch on and test out different features while stations were synchronizing. This process took maybe four hours but like I said, I was wearing the watch playing with it and also went out of the house because I just had to test the Starbucks app so I am sure that played into why it took so long. I would suggest if you are going to set up Pandora leave the watch off and charging until this process is complete. BTW, the Starbucks app worked without any issues and worked out this morning listening to Pandora and that worked fine.

Hope this information helps and best of luck.

Best Answer

Hi, well another 2.5 hours of "updating on phone" and connecting signs on the watch. I'd already restarted the phone a few times but watch was stuck on the fitbit sync logo.  Had to hold all the buttons in till it turned off and restarted.

Removed it from the phone Bluetooth and app. Re-added, it connected again ok to Wifi just fine (as it had when first connected). Then went through the intro screens on the app.

So effectively it had either updated correctly the very first time, or unannounced the last time (I'm thinking the latter as after the first failure the app kept trying to update it).  Anyway, I seem to have something to test now 🙂 .

Not an ideal experience however..... I can imagine a lot of users giving up.

Best Answer