Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Setup Checklist

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Everyone -- I really appreciate your candid feedback on your setup experience. 

After reviewing this discussion, I want to provide tips to help you setup your shiny, new Ionic successfully. Please understand that during this process there are certain steps that can take longer, especially the Firmware update, so patience is key. This is the largest firmware we've ever released and contains more data than any of our past Firmware update releases.

During setup, I recommend connecting to a strong personal or work Wi-Fi network that requires a password (public networks like coffee shops or bookstores should be avoided). If you're not connected to strong Wi-Fi connection or using Bluetooth, the process can take as long as 2 hours or more. So please make sure your Wi-Fi connection is strong. 

With that being said, let's get you setup!

Setup checklist

1. Start by making sure your device meets the requirements
  2. Un-pair all Fitbit trackers in Bluetooth settings (if any are listed under devices in BT settings)   
  3. Remove all Fitbit trackers from your Fitbit account (If any other Fitbit trackers are setup to your account already)
  4. Turn Bluetooth off/on
  5. Perform a factory reset on Ionic (tap on Settings/ tap on About/ tap on Factory Reset)
  6. Restart your device (phone or computer)
  7. Plug-in Ionic to charge somewhere close to your internet router
  8. Go through the setup process (instructions start on page 9 of the manual) 

What if setup still doesn't work? 

Try giving it another shot. Follow the instructions above and if you get stuck, please tell me where in the process Ionic stalled.

I want to acknowledge everyone's contribution to this discussion and express appreciation for bearing with us through some of the hiccups. We're always striving to improve our product and observe user sentiment and feedback to make improvements where necessary. Rest assured that future firmware and app updates will be released incrementally to address issues experienced by users.   

Lastly, I welcome you to continue sharing your experiences here and provide as much insight as you can. My hope for all of you is a successful setup so you can start reaching your health and fitness goals with help from Ionic!  

Best Answer
345 REPLIES 345

Same issues, did not expect this from Fitbit. Finally managed to start the setup via Bluetooth after more than 5 or 6 try and factory resetting Ionic, now its been going for last 1.30 hour and its not even 25% done. Need some kind of help from Fitbit. It can not be just isolated thing.

Best Answer

The issues with the Ionic are beyond ridiculous. My new watch was delivered at 7pm today and I am still having issues with it syncing, using Pandora and the weather. I called the customer service line and although they were very nice they were quite useless. The representative told me that he had issue with his as well and he just had to "...wait for a bit" for the watch to resolve whatever issues its having. When you pay **ahem** near 300 dollars for an item and it doesn't operate as advertised that is a HUGE issue. I've never had an issue with Fitbit before but I am honestly regretting this purchase. It is now 1:52am and I am still trying to get this watch to setup properly. Fitbit gets an F- from me on this release.

Best Answer

Problem is that this happens with every single product Fitbit release. Just look in the other forums. I remember reading setup issues for Charge, the Blaze, and the Aria.

"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history."

Best Answer

Update on my issue.  I think I have resolved it !  Make sure there are no other FitBits switched on anywhere near your ionic while trying to connect via WiFi. I though my old surge was switched off however when I checked it was not.  Since switching it off the connection errors have reduced very infrequent (not gone away completely) however I am now able to change clockfaces and manage the watch.  

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Problem is that this happens with every single product Fitbit release. Just look in the other forums. I remember reading setup issues for Charge, the Blaze, and the Aria.

"The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history."

That's why Fitbit's in the financial situation they're in 😞

Best Answer

No other ones in my house but when I messed with the clockfaces today one change reported as failed (wifi) via the app but had completed correctly on the phone. Seems to mirror what I saw yesterday on first setup where at some point it had updated correctly but there was some lack of comms between watch and phone to confirm (remedied upon reboot and re-pairing the device).

On the plus side after the initial setup shenanigans I am so far liking it a lot. Comfortable, personally like the looks, decent screen, excellent battery life over night (not yet done any GPS tracking as a tad under the weather).  Hopefully the initial (no doubt rushed for deadline) bugs won't put wider adopters off.  It is what I wanted, a mildy smart exercise watch that supports swimming and has battery life that doesn't have me tied to charging.  I couldn't cope with an Apple Watch, I'd be constantly fiddling with it..

Best Answer

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Received my Ionic this morning, took it out of the box . Opened the app on my Android phone and in about 30 minuets or so, I did not time it. I was up and running . Connnected with app and wifi on first attempt. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was never able to get mine set-up.  Called customer support and wasted an hour of my lunch break with no solution.  Blamed it on my office wifi.  Already shipped it back....

Best Answer

Same here. I had to ship back as well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

First I was told by customer service that there were no other issues and that I was the first one. I explained that I know I’m not the first one. They then said, they had a problem with theirs. For $300, that can buy me a lot of things that work out the box. 

Best Answer

@Bill145Great news... That was my experience and only took 10 minutes to be active....... BUT,... the big but... It is now into 85 minutes doing the Bluetooth upgrade of the Ionioc Firmware...and it's only at about 40%.... WiFi kept failing even though it connected.

I'm on Internet Fibre with 92 mbs download. Any other updates for Android are immediate,. including the Fitbit App.

@Bill145 wrote:

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Received my Ionic this morning, took it out of the box . Opened the app on my Android phone and in about 30 minuets or so, I did not time it. I was up and running . Connnected with app and wifi on first attempt. 

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just on 2 hours to update Firmware via Bluetooth.

Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey. How do you set back to factory settings? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi,

On the watch swipe left to the setting app. In the setting app choose about, the scroll down to reset which is second from bottom.

James

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I don’t have the watch anymore but from what I remember you go into settings then scroll down to factory reset.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much 😊

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you 😊

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have never posted in here, because I never disliked a fitbit till now.  It is the fitbit Ionic. It took me over 2 hours to set up and it still will not connect to the wifi. I even had the tech guys at work help me and they couldn't figure it out. I was going to get the blaze prior, however I saw the Ionic was coming out. I like the blaze much better, I will be returning the ionic for the blaze. Much need work for this ionic.

Best Answer

@Scoobydoo18 No issues here, but WiFi will not work on Fitbit at 5GHZ, works on 2.5GHZ for me.

@Scoobydoo18 wrote:

I have never posted in here, because I never disliked a fitbit till now.  It is the fitbit Ionic. It took me over 2 hours to set up and it still will not connect to the wifi. I even had the tech guys at work help me and they couldn't figure it out. I was going to get the blaze prior, however I saw the Ionic was coming out. I like the blaze much better, I will be returning the ionic for the blaze. Much need work for this ionic.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Absolutely LOVE my blaze. Just hope I can set it up again now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes