Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Setup Checklist

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Everyone -- I really appreciate your candid feedback on your setup experience. 

After reviewing this discussion, I want to provide tips to help you setup your shiny, new Ionic successfully. Please understand that during this process there are certain steps that can take longer, especially the Firmware update, so patience is key. This is the largest firmware we've ever released and contains more data than any of our past Firmware update releases.

During setup, I recommend connecting to a strong personal or work Wi-Fi network that requires a password (public networks like coffee shops or bookstores should be avoided). If you're not connected to strong Wi-Fi connection or using Bluetooth, the process can take as long as 2 hours or more. So please make sure your Wi-Fi connection is strong. 

With that being said, let's get you setup!

Setup checklist

1. Start by making sure your device meets the requirements
  2. Un-pair all Fitbit trackers in Bluetooth settings (if any are listed under devices in BT settings)   
  3. Remove all Fitbit trackers from your Fitbit account (If any other Fitbit trackers are setup to your account already)
  4. Turn Bluetooth off/on
  5. Perform a factory reset on Ionic (tap on Settings/ tap on About/ tap on Factory Reset)
  6. Restart your device (phone or computer)
  7. Plug-in Ionic to charge somewhere close to your internet router
  8. Go through the setup process (instructions start on page 9 of the manual) 

What if setup still doesn't work? 

Try giving it another shot. Follow the instructions above and if you get stuck, please tell me where in the process Ionic stalled.

I want to acknowledge everyone's contribution to this discussion and express appreciation for bearing with us through some of the hiccups. We're always striving to improve our product and observe user sentiment and feedback to make improvements where necessary. Rest assured that future firmware and app updates will be released incrementally to address issues experienced by users.   

Lastly, I welcome you to continue sharing your experiences here and provide as much insight as you can. My hope for all of you is a successful setup so you can start reaching your health and fitness goals with help from Ionic!  

Best Answer
345 REPLIES 345

Is Fitbit reading any of these because I paid a lot of money for this and I would like it to work they way it is suppose to that means stop telling me it is not connected to my phone and fully connect to my phone.

Best Answer
That is why i am returning the ionic, not worth $300.00

--
Patti Cardenas
Best Answer
I know several people who love the blaze. i will be using that with my
alta.

--
Patti Cardenas
Best Answer
I returned as well.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I also had issues with this, very similar to what you all described, and I followed almost the exact same process (keep resetting everything). After about the first hour, I began getting frustrated and that's when I found this page. While reading all of your responses, something all of a sudden was different. Not sure if this will help anyone, but maybe if someone from fitbit is reading it can help diagnose the issues.

When it didn't work:

Note: At this point, I verified that I had the latest version of the app in the Play store, and restarted my phone and bluetooth several times. I have strong, fast Wi-Fi.

1. Sometimes it wouldn't accept the code on the screen (there are no other fitbits in the house)

2. If it did accept the code, the Wi-Fi setup would give rapid errors, and adding manually would not work.

3. The screen on the watch would stay at the fitbit logo, or change back to the setup notification.

4. The watch never functioned, and only said to go to the fitbit.com/setup site or got stuck on the logo.

When it did work:

1. The device failed setup after restarting the phone again, so I quit the app, "unpaired" the watch in the settings, and started again, exactly as I had before.

2. After entering the 4 numbers again, I noticed a green check mark on the watch face. This is the first time I had seen this.

3. The screen immediately changed to a wi-fi symbol, and found my network normally. It connected and is now downloading the update. Everything looks good.

I think the key here is getting that green check-mark on the watch face after entering the four digits. Not that I know the key to getting that, but it looks like you need that to proceed. Just what I observed. I wish everyone good luck! I would consider myself advanced when it comes to tech and I still found this frustrating. My surge was a pain too but worked great after I got it synced.

Device Specs:

Phone: Moto-X Pure 2015 (Android Marshmallow)

Watch: Ionic (obviously)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good Luck. We all got to the green check mark. Me about 5 times. The watch still was not fully functional. Still wasn’t staying connected to the app and not all stuff worked. Hate to say it. Your in for a roller coaster.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
My experience with the Ionic is improving so I am glad I didn’t throw the towel in on the 2nd day. I still lose connection when changing a clock faces however they do change despite the error messages. the normal syncing is now working fine too.

No music app like pandora in the UK and no wireless payment available in the uk. Hope they can add connectivity to services such as Spotify or Audible in the future. It is a bit limited at the moment so not yet worth the extra but I am hopeful things will improve over time.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I returned it and got the blaze. Way better then the ionic

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Good choice. I Love the blaze.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes

Installation and setup process for version 27.30.3.2. I only used the iOS app, not Windows 10, which seemed to be a culprit for others based on discussions here. 

1. 11:37 am – Plug in to charge, battery is already over 90%+ (best guess based on battery icon) out of the box.
  2. 11:38 am – Connect via Bluetooth (iOS), set up WiFi connection, start "Setting up Ionic..." process. Ionic display displays a progress bar from left to right while the download process occurs.
  3. 11:41 am – Download at 11%, 31 minutes (estimated) remain.
  4. 11:47 am – Download at 43%, 12 minutes (estimated) remain.
  5. 11:54 am – Download at 77%, 5 minutes (estimated) remain.
  6. 11:59 am – Download complete, installation begins.
  7. 12:00 pm – Display on Ionic goes green (success), unit reboots. After reboot, the progress bar restarts, indicating installation progress. No estimate is displayed in the iOS app like it did for the update download process.
  8. 12:05 – Installation progress over 50%, based on progress bar displaying on the Ionic display.
  9. 12:08 – Display on Ionic goes green (success), unit reboots. After reboot, clock face displays and iOS app shows “Ionic is ready” message.
  10. 12:11 – Select a clock face to install since I know this was an issue many are having. Start syncing process, “Installing Apps…” message displays in Ionic menu, Ionic reboots and new clock face shows.

Additional notes:

Minor Bug: Select a new clock face to install, then while it is installing navigate to the “My Clock” section of the iOS app. While downloading/installing the “< Ionic” button (top left) was fluttering on/off. Added slight unease but not really a problem.

I did not have any issues setting up the Starbucks app or the Weather app like others have had. I added my card number in the app, synced, and the app worked on Ionic. I added 2 zip codes in the app, synced, and saw the results right away.

I am upgrading from the Blaze and was very happy with it after only a few hours. I wasn't sure if I wanted to upgrade, but I'm rather technical and figured I could fight through any issues... I am pleased so far, I didn't really have to fight through anything. It's a little slow/laggy when loading apps, but it's tolerable. My heart rate is showing higher than it regularly did with the Blaze... I'll give it a few days to see how things turn up.

Best Answer

@TunaFin Wow. Thank you for sharing this! I've moved your post to an existing thread about the same topic so others can utilize the info that you've provided.  

As for the display fluttering while installing a clock face, thanks for pointing this out. If possible can you share a video of your experience?

Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all. I've moved the thread to my newly created floated post to give everyone more guidance on setup. Let's continue this discussion and help each other setup Ionic!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I can relate. I am going through with the same problems.  If I wasn't a Fitbit fan I would of returned this watch and stayed with my Blaze.  I have already wasted over two hours on setting this up. Let's hope this works and the update is installed when I wake up in the morning.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just bought my fitbit Ionic. Literally a few minutes ago. Have tried to use it to no avail. Am currently unable to set up the device. Experience has been as follows:

Connect Fitbit to computer. 

Enter 4 digit code to connect bluetooth with Fitbit. 

Connect to Wifi to update - FAILED. 

Try again - FAILED. 

After multiple attempts I decided to check the 'Set up Wifi later' option. 

Upon selecting this option, it tells me that the Fitbit needs to update. 

So I click update. 

Now it is updating...but I am not sure whether it has connected to the Wifi or not. 

Can anyone shed some light on the situation. Have been an avid fitbit user for quite some time, but all these bugs are making me regret this purchase. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 2 update:

My Blaze was definitely faster and more responsive when dismissing notifications (individually or clearing all at once)... the Ionic feels slow and sometimes doesn't recognize my swipes on notifications... I'm not sure what is going on there but it isn't smooth and feels super laggy.

I'm also showing 45 floors climbed today... when I really only did about 8. I was on an Arc machine (elliptical-like cardio) at the gym this morning and after 1 hour it was saying I climbed 15 steps. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

Weather is still working. I haven't charged the battery since buying and setting up the device yesterday. 33 hours in and battery is at 61%, not bad.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess I was lucky? I only did the last step when I got my ionic. I left my previous charge hr 2 still connected as  well as sitting next to the ionic while the ionic was getting the firmware update. it's been a couple days now and both fitbits are still connected to the fitbit app. ionic is syncing fine all day. and charge hr 2 will sync when I'm at home where it is slowly draining its battery.

Update: Adding note that I did this with an iPhone7plus with ios11 in case fitbit team is taking note of where the problems lie that others are having. wifi router: asus ac3100

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wizll wrote:

I guess I was lucky? I only did the last step when I got my ionic. I left my previous charge hr 2 still connected as  well as sitting next to the ionic while the ionic was getting the firmware update. it's been a couple days now and both fitbits are still connected to the fitbit app. ionic is syncing fine all day. and charge hr 2 will sync when I'm at home where it is slowly draining its battery.

Lucky indeed. I was not so fortunate. Wish I had the same story as yours.  

Removing my Blaze and Charge 2 from the app seems to have smoothed things out for me somewhat.  Still can’t get GPS to work properly indoors but it will connect when I’m outside, be it very slowly. 

Im just relieved it’s syncing. 

I guess i cant use my charge 2 anymore without having to always set it up as a new tracker.  Hopefully it gets worked out.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I ensure I have the most current firmware? Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update.

The fitbit seems to have updated itself, I think.

However, it still says that it is not connected to the wifi. Everything is quite slow to say the least is working. You'd expect something to work just fine after spending $500NZD for it. 

There is no option for the wallet though. Is that a New Zealand thing? On my Fitbit App, there is no option to include a card for the wallet app. Surely that's a bug...

Best Answer
0 Votes