Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic Stopped Working

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Have had this watch for 18 months, taken good care of it with no issues.  Spent $300 on it at launch, and now I’m told I can spend another 160 to replace it.  Super disappointed with FitBit.  I’ve been a loyal customer up to this point, but unless FB makes this right, I will take my business elsewhere.  Sounds like there’s a big issue with the Ionic.  FitBit should stand behind their products, and either offer a repair service, or a free replacement.  For $300, a watch should last three years at least!

Best Answer
78 REPLIES 78

Yes fitbit are pretty good to deal with providing replacements while within warranty. However i bet your replacement fails within a similar time period. Ive had it with fitbit and now purchesed a Garmin. Also gone for chest strap to get more accurate HR readings on exercise.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well I wish you all the best with the new gear. My Ionic was out of warranty which is only a year here in NZ so I was pretty chuffed!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

sorry to hear you did not get a new Ionic  My warranty was for just one year also  I will not replace with a new fitbit because I feel they should last MUCH longer for the price. My son has had an apple watch for years with no problem and I have heard others had good luck with Garmin.  Loved my Ionic when it worked but 18 months is not reliable  product and they do not repair them either

Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess I should be happy that my Ionic lasted 23 months, but as of today, it is dead. I was an early adopter, and bought by Ionic after writing my MBA capstone on the rise of smart watches, the fall of fitness monitors, and Fitbit's position of strength as a value leader compared to Garmin and Apple. I bought Ionics for myself and my wife, and also invested quite a bit more in FitBit stock. I was disappointed when the promised oxygen sensing functionality was  dropped but  stuck with the brand. Now, almost two years later, after reading this forum and all the posts, I also sold all my FitBit stock and will invest in a more mature market leader like Garmin or Apple.

Best Answer

Actually, I did get a new one, which I really appreciated.  I know in NZ Fitbit are no longer reviewed or rated by our Consumer agency given the reliability issues experienced by NZ users.  

Of almost 800 Fitbits purchased by Consumer NZ members, 16% had faulty construction and a further 10% had battery, charging or connection problems.

Consumer NZ head of testing Dr Paul Smith said the Fitbit result was disappointing. “Fitbits generally do well in our fitness tracker testing and we’d expect more from such a well-known brand. But the reliability of these products means we’ll no longer be recommending them.”

Dr Smith said only half of Fitbit owners were “very satisfied” with the product and just 40% were “very likely” to repurchase the brand.

However, survey results showed making a reliable wearable device was possible. Apple smartwatches led for reliability with just 3% needing repair and four in five owners “very satisfied” with the product. The next most popular fitness tracker brand in the survey, Garmin, also scored higher than average reliability.”

I do hope this improves as the product when working is great!

Best Answer

Glad you got a new one  Good luck with it  I really loved the Ionic when it worked and the firbit community but will buy a watch next time that is more reliable  

Best Answer

Exactly the same for me. I searched "Fitbit Ionic suddenly stopped working" and found not only this thread but half a dozen other threads of what seemed like hundreds of ionic owners all saying the same thing. It's too bad, I really liked the Ionic's looks, but I have three Garmin watches going back 8 years and every one still works perfectly. I guess I should have never switched.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Same sentiments! I was pretty pleased that they replaced my Ionic!

Have you requested a replacement??

Dave

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
How do you request a replacement?
Best Answer
0 Votes
If it is under a year just message fitbit they will walk you threw a few steps.  If it is longer then a year good luck buy a differnt brand. Samsung or one of the other brands Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note9.
Best Answer
0 Votes
They will on the first one under a yearSent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note9.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got mine about 14 months ago. I've heard others say Fitbit offered a discount on another one if it was over one year old. But I really don't want spend hundreds again on a device that I get just over a year out of.

For now, I just pulled out a four year old Garmin I had in a drawer, charged it, and it worked perfectly. 

Best Answer
Stay with garmin or something other then fit bitSent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note9.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I emailed Fitbit support and they guided me from there.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Agree - looking at an Apple Watch now. I have been a dedicated Fitbit user for a while, but 300 is a lot for it to not last long.

Best Answer
0 Votes

SAME ISSUE - just stopped working. Fitbit would acknowledge the issue - they say buy another one.

Best Answer

Frustrating - a known issue and you don't acknowledge it. You just tell people to buy a new fitbit. Why do they break in less than 2-years.

Update:

Poor quality = FITBIT. I ran into a similar issue and am going to buy a GARMIN instead

That is the way to go. I had the same issue and they told me to buy a new Fitbit. 

Just ran into the same issue. A real problem with the Fitbit quality. 

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer

**ahem** it. I continued to pester and they eventually gave me a replacement. That one has gone a further two years without any problems. I know the NZ Consumer organisation has stopping testing Fitbit as their reliability problems are less than acceptable.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

I am impressed. 

Best Answer