Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic stops tracking exercise during workout

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Ok this is the last chance for my fitbit...

Had for over a year and love the app, heart rate, sleep and step counting. However when it comes to exercise...?

Last 3 weeks

a) 12 miles into a bike ride the screen went blank. I had been monitoring the stats til then and didn't hit any buttons. I tried holding two buttons to reset and it then showed '0%' in red. I tried resetting again and it restarted showing the logo. I started the bike ride tracking on the ionic again and it tracked the last bit. Very annoying. Then 4 days later the bike run turns up in my stats but with 4400 mins as the duration and the 12.35 miles done til the blavk screen. Battery was 90% at start.

b) runs in last few weeks have regularly stopped part way through a run. Black screen appears, '0% ' in red, try resetting again and logo appears them clock face ( as abpve). Started run exercise on ionic again. Few mins later went to black screen again. This time I can't get it to restart. Get home and when I sync it shows the first distance and short second distance. Unacceptable.

So...can this be fixed?. I am meant to be exercising not worrying if my watch is working.

Fast coming to the conclusion that i just use my phone for recording runs and bike rides and then manually add them to fitbit.

If I had known it could do exercise I could have saved the money and stuck with my charge 2!!

Moderator edit: word choice.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It's nice to see you around @gladtobe, @SunsetRunner and @5miles. I'll be glad to assist you with your Ionic workout inquiry.

This is an issue and our team is currently working to fix it. As @SunsetRunner mentioned, I would recommend to manually logging it. 

@5miles, your walks might not record correctly. Fitbit does not connect with chest straps.

Let me know if you have more questions.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
45 REPLIES 45

The issue you observe may be related to the long unfixed bug. About logging, I do exactly that - I log manually. Gave up on tracking. The Exercise app crash happened so many times that I just don't bother tracking anymore. I log it though as I want to see a complete number of calories burnt computed throughout the day. I think it can be fixed. Will it? I don't think so, otherwise, such critical issue would be addressed within a week or two from being reported releasing an update with a hotfix.

Best Answer

Hi,

This sounds like there is a problem affecting outdoor workout tracking? I will use mine (if I buy one!) for mountain walks, some gym stuff and swimming (I know it will only record laps and cannot pair with an external chest strap (unfortunately)). So I'm concerned it will not track the walks. Have I understood the problem correctly?

Regards

Keith

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's nice to see you around @gladtobe, @SunsetRunner and @5miles. I'll be glad to assist you with your Ionic workout inquiry.

This is an issue and our team is currently working to fix it. As @SunsetRunner mentioned, I would recommend to manually logging it. 

@5miles, your walks might not record correctly. Fitbit does not connect with chest straps.

Best Answer

Thanks for your reply. I’m wondering why my walks wouldn’t register properly?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back to us @5miles. Your walks wouldn't register properly because of the exercise issue. 

When it gets resolved they should register properly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the same problem with my Ionic.  How will we know when the problem is fixed?  This is the main reason why I have the device and I would really like to know when I can start using it again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Andrea

thanks for your reply. Do you have an idea of a date when the update will be rolled out? That’s assuming it’s software related. Just to clarify the problem, does the device fail to track activity even when tracking is selected rather than just when it should auto detect an activity?

ANd does the issue affect every divice similarly? There must be a lot of these on wrists around the world. 

Thanks for your help

keith

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your participation in our forums @JustEd and @5miles. I´ll be glad to continue assisting you with your concerns.

@JustEd, our team may not be able to provide a fix in the immediate future. We'll continue to monitor the situation, and keep our team informed of the impact to you and other customers. We understand that this isn't the resolution you're hoping for, but rest assured we're always working to improve our products. You can check this post. It has latest updates about this issue. 

@5miles, I don´t have an estimated time about an update. What´s reported about this issue is that exercise app crashes during exercise. You can check the post I shared above.

Please let me know if you have more questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same problem with the Ionic just quitting in the middle of a swim.  It stops tracking, then goes dark, reboots, then is unresponsive.  It had the incorrect time when it finally started again, 30 minutes after I finished my swim today.  I’ve also had days when no stairs were recorded.  My home office is downstairs, I go up and down many times each day.

I’m glad to hear a fix is in progress - I hope it is released soon!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Marsha,

I’m holding off buying one at the moment. It’s a concern that it’s taking so longer to resolve. Hope they do though. I really like Fitbit and want the functionality of the ionic and the coach service. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for getting back to us @MarshaWilcox and @5miles. I really appreciate your patience and  comments.

Our team is working to fix this issue soon.

Keep on visiting the forums. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I believe I am having the same issue but usually occurs when I start the exercise.  It happened on my swim app and the exercise app and I restarted the clock and seemed to work.  Any advice on correcting it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the forums @A5kil3s! It's nice to see you around. Let me help you out with your exercise inquiry. Thank you for letting us know that you restarted the watch and it seemed to work.

Do this happen every time you start all the exercises or only with swimming? Does it happen every time you start exercise mode?

I'll be waiting for your response.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Andrea - yes, I believe this is my first time to post in the forum. 

I have had the Ionic only a few months and really like it, so far!!  Love the swim app feature - I am not good at counting - so it gives me a good idea how many laps I have gone.  Wish it would count Kicking laps though!  (So I am still trying to figure out the best way to handle that.)

So, I have noticed it happening in both the "Swimming" app and in the regular "Exercise" App.  [I use the Exercise App - when I mix in a variety of exercise like Cardio followed by another form of exercise (e.g., elliptical / TRX) so I do not have to start and restart.]   It does not happen all the time, but its has happened a handful of times since I got it.

Appreciate any advice you have!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for getting back to us and for answering my questions @A5kil3s.  At this time your watch won´t count your kicking laps. Please let us know if you find a way to make them count.

Did you notice if you stopped during your swimming exercise when your Ionic stopped tracking? It could be the stops you make on your cardio activity when the exercise stopped.

Try exercising without stops and let me know if the activity stops. 

I´ll be waiting for your response. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thats the weird thing with this.  It stops within the first few minutes that I start the activity and am engaged in my activity.  So I will restart it a second time - like the first time did not even happen.  And it usually goes then.   (Has only happened once while I swam, but a handful times it happens in the exercise app.)  I know it sounds strange. 

Oh, one more question about the swim app.  I have it set on 25 yds, but it undercounts the yardage.  Thinking it is due to flip turns and/or streamlining  - do you have any suggestions to correct that?

Again, thanks for getting back to me!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your explanation @A5kil3s. What you just described it´s related with this thread's main issue.

Our team is already working on a fix for it. Let's hope it gets released soon.

Regarding your question, flip turns can undercount yardage but they are necessary or you'll return in more time. Do you think this affects the result in a mayor way? I would adjust the pool length but that's only a suggestion.  

Catch you later. 

Best Answer

I reported this issue earlier. The support team spent quite a bit of time
with me and walked me through a factory reset of my Ionic. It took more
than 2 days to re-download the music I had on it, and get it set up as it
had been.

My advice to those with this problem - Don't do a Factory Reset. It didn't
help. My device failed and rebooted the day after I got it set up again.

Moderator edit: removed personal information and format.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for visiting the community and for sharing your experience with this issue @MarshaWilcox

Our team is working to fix this issue soon.

Keep on visiting the forums.

Best Answer
0 Votes