Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic suddenly died

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've come to think it is unethical to recommend that anyone, for any reason, buy Fitbit watches. Beyond their other problems (like the brace of different cables that all do the exact same thing, but just have to be entirely different), they die. They just quit, totally and forever, for no reason. Well, except bad design and construction. 

Like so many others, I've just experienced Fitbit sudden death syndrome. For the second time, personally. Of the 7 we've owned, 3 have just died for no reason.

The Ionic had just been charged about 3 hours before, was working fine all day. I turned my wrist to check the time and thought, "Wow, sunlight must be really bright... I just can't see the screen AT ALL."

Yeah... no such luck.

My Charge 2 died this way. My brother's Blaze also. 

Why we kept buying these things, I have no idea. I know none of us will make the mistake ever again. 

This is on top of having to deal with the constant hassle of a entirely separate charging cable for EVERY DIFFERENT MODEL. Even if the rest of the family has Fitbits, you have to make sure someone has your specific model if you want to borrow their cable

Why? They all do the same thing. They're not even complex chargers. Just to force you to buy more of their cables, obviously. 

And then there were the regularly cropping up bluetooth sync problems. 

I liked the Ionic for it's sleep tracking and it's swimming features, along with some others.

But now this Ionic has failed, the second Fitbit I've owned personally to do so, the third in our family. These haven't had rough treatment at all. They just die. A lot of people have this happened. Some get replacements, only to have those die, too. 

I've tried all the steps I could find searching all through forums - resetting, factory resetting, resetting then connecting cable while holding buttons down, etc.

It's just dead and gone.

Well, not gone - still sitting here, reminding me of how stupid I was to buy keep buying Fitbits, and wasting money on stuff like bands. 

I think mine is less than a year old, but I can't find the receipt. 

And much the reason I'm so annoyed and cynical here is that, reading through the MANY, MANY others who've faced this same problem, over multiple Fitbit models, it looks like the best I'll get is a discount coupon to buy another one, another hunk of junk that'll day around the end of the warranty period. Or, even if it's within, I'd better be able to find that receipt, or I'll be SOL. Again.

Or would be. Fool us twice, shame on us. Fool us three times... what the heck is wrong with us? 

Fitbit should replace something that just dies for no reason. They should stand behind their products. I'm so disgusted that they don't. 

I'd like to think I'll receive something other than a "Warm welcome", but I'm pretty sure that's all I'll get, and it'll have all the warmth of somebody pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
70 REPLIES 70

I hate to tell you this but you might as well toss it out you will never get it back,i tried for 2 months they tried to sell me a new one (BS) If you have a warranty good luck .

Best Answer
0 Votes

Received as a gift for Christmas 2019....it has died.   Followed all the “instructions“ as how to get it charged again.   Nothing.   Suggestions are appreciated.    

Best Answer
0 Votes

Since it is within a year I want to tell you to ask for a replacement, but more than likely you'll have to replace it again within a year and a half.  I speak from experience and so I tell you to just scrap Fitbit, never buy it again and go with another brand.  I had been an avid Fitbit user for years until my Ionic died and they did nothing.  Now I use a Samsung and love it so much more!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for this. They are such a poor company. I try to spread the word and warn potential customers off.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry. I can’t really suggest anything- apart from making sure you give online feedback to warn others potential customers.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks

I agree 100%. I'll never touch Fitbit again

Best Answer
0 Votes

After 19 months my fitbit Ionic died, it was a good watch up until then. My mistake was forgetting to remove it before i went for a swim, when i got back it rebooted itself then died and has not worked since. I tried all the steps - nothing, tried to charge it, device just gets hot and does nothing - bricked.

Decided to throw it away and never purchase another fitbit again, I was dumb enough to believe i would get an electronic watch that lasts at least 3 years. This is my second fitbit device, first one lasted 14 months, but failed as i dropped it on a tiled floor so was understandable.

Switching back to my Omega and using my iPhone for an alarm clock - simpler but at least i can use it for everyday stuff and watch wont die if i wear it for a 10 minute swim.

Best Answer
0 Votes

For me also it is happening. Some thing wrong. I bought one year back now it not working

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Fitbit Versa dies after swimming club.  My Fitbit was replaced three times because it died after swimming withint the warranty time frame.  Alas, with Covid, my club swimming pool was closed, yet it re-opened and after 3 swims my most recent Versa bit the dust, died, gone by-by.  I vowed that I would not get another Versa because it is false advertising that this tracker is waterproof - it is not as you can see by the many people who post that it dies after it gets wet.  The Versa does not track bicycling well at all - and with all of the tips of what you need to do to get it to track - its not worth the hassle.

So it is on to a better quality watch.  I've heard Garmins are good yet I'm going to research around.

I bought 1 Fitbit Versa watch, which turned into 4 with all of the replacements for it dying after swimming.... and will not buy a second Fitbit watch.  They are poorly made.

Fitbit tracks steps well and that is all.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a member of the Fitbit Versa dies after swimming club.  My Fitbit was replaced three times because it died after swimming withint the warranty time frame.  Alas, with Covid, my club swimming pool was closed, yet it re-opened and after 3 swims my most recent Versa bit the dust, died, gone by-by.  I vowed that I would not get another Versa because it is false advertising that this tracker is waterproof - it is not as you can see by the many people who post that it dies after it gets wet.  The Versa does not track bicycling well at all - and with all of the tips of what you need to do to get it to track - its not worth the hassle.

So it is on to a better quality watch.  I've heard Garmins are good yet I'm going to research around. I will never buy another Fitbit or recommend Fitbit to others.

Fitbit tracks steps well and that is all.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Absolutely ---- Fitbit are a disgrace

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes