Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ionic suddenly died

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I've come to think it is unethical to recommend that anyone, for any reason, buy Fitbit watches. Beyond their other problems (like the brace of different cables that all do the exact same thing, but just have to be entirely different), they die. They just quit, totally and forever, for no reason. Well, except bad design and construction. 

Like so many others, I've just experienced Fitbit sudden death syndrome. For the second time, personally. Of the 7 we've owned, 3 have just died for no reason.

The Ionic had just been charged about 3 hours before, was working fine all day. I turned my wrist to check the time and thought, "Wow, sunlight must be really bright... I just can't see the screen AT ALL."

Yeah... no such luck.

My Charge 2 died this way. My brother's Blaze also. 

Why we kept buying these things, I have no idea. I know none of us will make the mistake ever again. 

This is on top of having to deal with the constant hassle of a entirely separate charging cable for EVERY DIFFERENT MODEL. Even if the rest of the family has Fitbits, you have to make sure someone has your specific model if you want to borrow their cable

Why? They all do the same thing. They're not even complex chargers. Just to force you to buy more of their cables, obviously. 

And then there were the regularly cropping up bluetooth sync problems. 

I liked the Ionic for it's sleep tracking and it's swimming features, along with some others.

But now this Ionic has failed, the second Fitbit I've owned personally to do so, the third in our family. These haven't had rough treatment at all. They just die. A lot of people have this happened. Some get replacements, only to have those die, too. 

I've tried all the steps I could find searching all through forums - resetting, factory resetting, resetting then connecting cable while holding buttons down, etc.

It's just dead and gone.

Well, not gone - still sitting here, reminding me of how stupid I was to buy keep buying Fitbits, and wasting money on stuff like bands. 

I think mine is less than a year old, but I can't find the receipt. 

And much the reason I'm so annoyed and cynical here is that, reading through the MANY, MANY others who've faced this same problem, over multiple Fitbit models, it looks like the best I'll get is a discount coupon to buy another one, another hunk of junk that'll day around the end of the warranty period. Or, even if it's within, I'd better be able to find that receipt, or I'll be SOL. Again.

Or would be. Fool us twice, shame on us. Fool us three times... what the heck is wrong with us? 

Fitbit should replace something that just dies for no reason. They should stand behind their products. I'm so disgusted that they don't. 

I'd like to think I'll receive something other than a "Warm welcome", but I'm pretty sure that's all I'll get, and it'll have all the warmth of somebody pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining. 

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
70 REPLIES 70

I am a member of dead fitbit ionic team now,,,

Suffered from same issue,, with 39% battery in the night, came up in the morning with dead ionic 

Best Answer
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry??

Au revoir!

Dominick Stuart

Moderator edit: Removed personal information 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delayed reply. 

I appreciate the details mentioned and for letting me know that you've contacted our Support team. Rest assure that each case is reviewed individually and the option provided is based in the Fitbit Warranty. If you have any questions about the option you were given, you can contact our team back and they will be happy to continue assisting you. 

I'll be around if you need further assistance. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had mine for 1 yr and 4 months and its now dead too.  I didn't even use for the 1st few months either.  this is the 2nd fibit that hasn't last 2 yrs.  I have the charge HR and the band didn't last more than 6 mths so they sent a new one and then that one didn't last 6 mths but then I was out of the warranty period so it was useless.  Now my Ionic doesn't even last 2 yrs.  Why would I ever buy another Fitbit if it barely last 1 yr

Best Answer

I have joined this unfortunate club as well... and the only response I am getting is it is out of warranty!! It is a 4 month old replacement! Surely Fitbit should see there are obvious problems since some sort of update.

Best Answer

Press and hold the left button at the same time press and hold the lower right button until you see the icon that should work.

Best Answer
That didnt work either
Best Answer
0 Votes

I thanks for your suggestion, I have exhausted the support and did everything asked. Hours and hours wasted. Reading thru the threads above mine there seems to be a common problem with an update over the weekend many many people are having the same problem. FITBIT as a company should recognize this and admit there is a problem and do the right thing!

Moderator edit: all-caps

Best Answer

It got this far then lost connection to phone... or that’ s what it says, I reckon it’s toast!!! Come Fitbit admit there is a problemIt got this far then lost connection to phone... or that’ s what it says, I reckon it’s toast!!! Come Fitbit admit there is a problem

Best Answer
This is the same company who knew there was a Bluetooth connectivity issue
with their software and the new version of Android, but still directed
people to the FAQ when they complained about it. They admit nothing, even
as they run the ship headlong at full speed into an iceberg.
Best Answer
0 Votes

all my issues were solved by costumer support, thanks.

are you interested knowing how, read my post here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Ionic/Farewell-Fitbit/m-p/3677246#M105814

Best Answer
0 Votes
My Fitbit ionic died after a year. I was offered a new one at a 40%
discount. I guess that works out to a 20% discount on each with one still
working and one not.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delayed reply. 

I appreciate the details that you've shared and for continuing participating in the forums. Sorry to hear that your Ionic stopped working, thanks for letting me know that you've contacted our Support team and you have been given an option. As mentioned before, our team reviews each case individually and the option provided is based in the Fitbit Warranty. If you have any questions about the option you were given, please reply back to the case you already have with them. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Add me to the list my ionic did the blank screen of death over the weekend. 

Will not reset, will not do anything.   

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community @SunriseRun426. Thanks for the details mentioned. 

I've shared your post with our Support team and they've mentioned you already have a case with them. Please continue the communication through email, they will continue assisting you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

A replacement Fitbit ionic that I received has died in about 9 months. That ionic replaced another that had died , yet because my original $300 purchase was almost 2 years ago , the best I get is a crappy offer for 25% off ?  

There is obviously something wrong with the ionic . Mine has died after doing the update on the app and the firmware update . Worked fine before . 

Best Answer

Add me to the list. 

50% battery last night - now nothing

There must be something fundamentally wrong with the item if so many people are having exactly the same problem in such a short space of time.

Best Answer

Another one bites the dust.  

23 months and my Ionic died.  

I just read that Apple is offering free repairs for their iPhone 6S. The issue they have seems very similar to the problem with the Ionic. Has Fitbit made any attempt to find the component that is failing and causing Sudden Fitbit Death Syndrome

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-iphone-defect/apple-rolls-out-free-repair-for-iphone-6s-dev...

Best Answer

Mine crapped out after 15 months....something is seriously wrong with these devices and should be recalled before any other unsuspecting customer buys one. I would NEVER recommend a Fitbit product to anyone. My wife just bought one a month ago from Costco. We are taking it back before it has a problem. 

Best Answer