Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ionic won’t sync

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my husband a brand New Ionic for Christmas and this morning he noticed it won’t sync at all. Is the only hope to unpair and delete from phone Bluetooth and reset up as a new device (which was the help guideline I saw on an older post). Has this not been fixed with a system upgrade or something? So confused as the watch was just set up yesterday. Thanks for the help! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
79 REPLIES 79

Hi, If you have paired to more than one device Ionic may be confused about which device to sync to.  Switch off Bluetooth on all bit one device and try syncing to that device.  Hope this helps!

Best Answer

Thanks for the suggestion! So he doesn’t have it paired to anything but his phone. And he’s never had another Fitbit before. He tried unsync and turning off Bluetooth and it can’t find his watch now. Ah! I feel so badly as this was supposed to be a great gift lol. 

Best Answer

Mine stopped syncing as well! I’ve deleted and reloaded the app 6 times! Nothing works!!!!!!

Best Answer

Im having same issues.  So frustrated i want to send it back.

Best Answer
If you are on an Android device, for some reason android 7 does not work with the ionic. I had to update my phone to android 8 for it to finally work
Best Answer

I am having the same issue.  Soooo frustrating.  Any ideas how to fix this??

Best Answer
Ive sent an email to fitbit for a fix whether it be an update or whatever otberwise i want my money back.  I prefer my blaze.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer

I'm having the same problem. I was able to sync it when I first set it up but then it lost connection and I haven't been able to sync at all for the past 2 days. This is so frustrating. I had the fitbit Blaze before and got the ionic for christmas. 

Best Answer
Mine appears to have stopped syncing, as well. All day sync is on. It last synced at 6:22 p.m. It will start a sync but after several minutes, the app just shows the spinning arrows, the line is at the halfway point and not progressing, and I have lost about 2000 steps (which is about 1600 less than my One was showing for the same period). One won't sync, either - it has said "looking" all day. This is beyond frustrating. I've had issues with Steps all day long on day 1 of use, issues with heartrate and now issues with a sync. Leaving me to ask, does anything work? Doesn't seem like there are many answers in the community. I have a small window of opportunity to return and exchange for an Apple Watch. I wanted a Fitness tracker but it seems this can't do the job.
Best Answer
Im in exactly the same boat.  So frustrated that i sent fitbit an email i want a refund.

Best Answer

Yeah I think mine will be returned. Tried to update the clock face to something simple as the one I chose yesterday said it was a larger file. Can’t even do that. It’s missing way too many steps, too. And Even though it now claims to have synced twice in the last hour, I’m missing several hours of steps and 4 hiurs of 250+ steps so it hasn’t actually synced since 6:22 p.m. even though it says it synced at 1 a.m. Such a frustrating experience,

Best Answer

Don't feel that bad. I just purchased the ionic today. I have been messing with it for six hours and I haven't been able to do anything with it because it will not up date.

Best Answer

Oh, my people!!! I've found you!  Jesus.  My wife bought me a new Ionic for xmas.  Bought it from Kohl's.

Started trying to get it to work (not even work well, just work!!!) christmas morning.  Spent about three hours of family time half with my family, half frustratedly beating away at the Ionic, fitbit app, help pages, support pages, forum threads... jeez!!

Issues I have encountered in three and a half long days...in no particular order:

1)will sync fine for hours...then will randomly get spotty (and be able to recover and sync)...and then will stop syncing entirely

2)will tolerate sharing BT several times as I use other BT devices through my phone...then suddenly will lose the BT connection and go into spottyness

3)will get so unusable that I can only go through the COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS workaround process of Unpair from phone, remove Ionic from account, turn off phone BT, restart phone, factory reset Ionic, reboot phone, reactivate BT, add Ionic to my Fitbit acct, and then pray that the tracker actually GETS the update done successfully

4)will torture me over getting wifi connected to finish updates...and then will never again show WiFi successfully hooked up (from the "WiFi" status bar in the Ionic's onboard settings menu)

5)will work fine and update the app for a couple of HOURS...and then start the #1 issues and suddenly my account will lose ALL data from those previous two hours...

I'm at the point that I'm most of the way through a week off and this thing cannot do the MOST BASIC THING A FITBIT TRACKER SHOULD DO: sync to my **ahem** phone and update my **ahem** activity stats

Best Answer

Similar issues here - synch was fine for first two days, then yesterday started having issues.  Finally managed to synch after several hours, but today having issues again.

I'm not willing to accept a solution that involves me having to reset the ionic - this should just work.

My understanding is that for the synch to work, your ionic needs to talk to your phone AND the phone needs to be able to send the data to the fitbit servers.  I wonder if the fitbit servers are overloaded and are not responding to the requests quickly enough?  I've noticed slow response on the fitbit.com web-dashboard, so maybe the problem is with their servers?

If this doesn't improve soon then I will be returning my ionic for a refund.

Best Answer

another thing I've noticed: when I have the bluetooth menu open on my iPhone SE, the Ionic's connection status flickers from "connected" to "not connected" every few seconds.

this matches up with what I see in the app, where the radio (((o))) icon flickers green for a second or two, the phone starts trying to sync with the Ionic, and then it aborts and goes back to a gray icon and says "looking..."

I have NEVER had this kind of trouble with my Charge 2 HR.  It's been a champ.

....and just now, 8:14am, after 30+ minutes of screwing around with trying to get the tracker to connect, having rebooted the phone, rebooted the tracker, plugged it into the charging cable, cycled bluetooth on the phone, and watched them both spend 15+ minutes unable to connect...it suddenly connected just enough to sync. 

Is this just a matter of "you need to be patient"??  Because the Charge 2 HR syncs any time I open the app or swipe the app screen, less than 10 seconds, every time.  This thing seems to connect whenever it darn well pleases and spends significant amounts of time not connecting even when you have done everything in the guide.

Best Answer
I have played with it for 2 days.  We just got a return authorization number and sending it back.

Best Answer

I finally got the clock face to update last night (well, way earlier this a.m. than I wanted to be up). I think it might be the app. I deleted my One last night, which was also not syncing. It would not repair. Just before I gave up I found a solution for that, which I tried this morning and that worked, so both devices synced this a.m. and I got credit for the total steps, which were higher/more accurate on the One. I still don't have credit for 4 hours of hourly movement that I achieved, which is weird because that information can be found on past days for the One, so it should populate.

Just now, I tried to sync and it wasn't doing anything, still saying last sync at 9:30 a.m., but the step count was accurate to my Ionic. (I had the One off for a bit earlier so the Ionic step count is currently higher than the one.)

I can't tell about heart rate accuracy because my polar with chest strap is dead and I need to get a new battery to see how they compare. Step count on Ionic seems a little better today but it's still missing steps when I only go 20-30 steps. I'm going to try and call FitBit help tonight or this afternoon and see what they say. If I can get the steps to be a little more accurate and the syncing continues to work I'm going to try to be patient with it. But that's a big "If."

I took a relatively easy yoga class today and the calorie burn seemed accurate, heart rate maybe a tiny bit high. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I fixed my synch issue:

• Force shutdown the fitbit app on my android phone
  • Opened bluetooth settings on phone and up-paired the ionic
  • Paired with the ionic again, from same bluetooth settings screen
  • Opened fitbit app again and did a manual synch

I had to do a very similar thing yesterday as well.  I am running an older version of Android on my phone, so I'm going to update that later tonight to see if it helps.

Best Answer

Has anyone on this thread had any luck?

I'm still having weird intermittent sync issues.  I can spend ten-twenty minutes screwing around with it and then boom it'll link to my phone and sync...and then lose it for another twenty minutes or an hour.

I'm still having weird issues with wi-fi setup...I'll teach it my home wifi router and range extender and then go look in the settings menu and find the "IP Address" field on the "About" submenu and it says "wifi is off" ... should it be doing that? Is that wrong? I have no idea!

I'm learning to deal with it the way it is....it DOES seem like if I relax and stop stressing about it needing to connect now NOW NOW then it seems to eventually sync and work.  Connectivity issues though are very strange given my other experiences with FitBit trackers.

Best Answer