Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ionic won’t sync

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my husband a brand New Ionic for Christmas and this morning he noticed it won’t sync at all. Is the only hope to unpair and delete from phone Bluetooth and reset up as a new device (which was the help guideline I saw on an older post). Has this not been fixed with a system upgrade or something? So confused as the watch was just set up yesterday. Thanks for the help! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
79 REPLIES 79
I kept reading concerns. I saw where someone said to reset the ionic and then it would sync. They were right. Hold the bottom button on the right down and at the same time hold the main button on the left. Hold long enough to see the Fitbit logo of dots. Then release. Your Fitbit is reset. It should then sync.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

My issues seem to have been fixed for the moment.  Key things I did:

• Unpaired my bluetooth headphones from my phone, and haven't re-connected them.
  • Upgraded Android from 5.1.1. to 6.0

If things continue to be okay for a few more days then I will try reconnecting my headphones and see if things still work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone. So sorry to hear so many are having the same issues! I ended up having to totally reset the ionic, delete the bluetooth from the phone (iPhone, in settings told it to forget the ionic bluetooth network and made sure no other fit bits were on it), and then re-set up the watch all over again. This seems to have fixed it for now. But we will see what happens. hopefully the kinks have been worked out now!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I got my Ionic for Christmas and set it up last week. Worked fine for a day then started having issues. At this point I’ve had to do a factory restore 3 timesbecause it will sync fine for a day or so then start having issues. WiFi has never seemed to work right. What I’ve found is that eventually it will start syncing again, then it will work for a couple of hours then start acting up again. When it acts up it is like my phone sees it then it goes away, then it sees it again then it goes away again. It won’t stay connected long enough to complete a sync cycle. 

This is with iPhone 6 running the latest firmware. I’ve even deleted and reinstalled the app a few times. I had a Blaze for several months before I got the Ionic and never had any trouble with it! I’m really getting frustrated. I’m thinking this has to be a software issue because when it is working it works fine. Fitbit has 45 days to get this right or mine is going back for a refund. 😕

Best Answer

I returned mine already, we shouldn’t have to deal with this frustration with a $300 watch. I got an iWatch instead for only $50 more and i can focus on my workouts now instead of my watch 

Best Answer

Ugh. I was just about to post that I hadn’t had any problems since the two very frustrating evenings last week,when it failed to sync on both Wed. & Thurs. (I had to unpair my One which I wasn’t happy about, since it’s still more accurate than the Ionic despite stride adjustments, resets, etc.

But, I just checked the app and nothing has synced since 7:26 p.m.

It’s doing the same thing again...step,count shows up as current but the progress bar gets stuck halfway through the sync. As I’ve learned the hard way, this means it hasn’t actually synced and the step count will revert back to what it was 3 hours ago. If I unpair and repair it I lose half my steps for the third day out of the 7 I’ve had the device. At this point, it can’t handle the most basic functions: step count is off by 1600-1800 a day and it can’t sync. Heart rate seems high,too.

Best Answer

Ok, after a few more days I’m finding that if my Ionic doesn’t want to connect I can usually make it work if I turn on the Bluetooth pairing function in settings on the Ionic. Then the ap will go ahead and sync while the watch is looking for Bluetooth devices. 

I feel like this is all something that Fitbit can fix in a firmware update and or maybe app update. Now whether they do or not...

Best Answer

Same issues!!! Can’t connect with Bluetooth or WiFi. Called tech support and went through the painful process of turn Bluetooth off/on, devises off/on, made sure devices up to date, removed Fitbit from iPhone, lastly did Fitbit reset with no resolution to the issue. Super frustrating!!  

Best Answer

Same problem called tech support. Nice guy no help. They released the Iconic way before the bugs worked out. The marketing department overruled the engineers and this watch is falling on its face.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

If an update is released it’s basically useless if I can’t connect.

Best Answer

I unfortunately have to join this group.  My ionic synced at first - had it for a week - also was supposed to be a great xmas gift.  I have trouble syncing it every time, I have to do my boo-doo dance and press all sorts of buttons and turn on and off - and then just maybe Ill get the data off my watch.  I am going to give it til the end of this week.  If nothing seems to improve, I am sending it back to amazon and I will be visiting my closest apple store.  Sad, sad that Fit bit released this without having the bugs resolved. 

Best Answer
Fitbit responds by only use my iPad no my s8. It won’t sync to it either. I have always been a tech junkie and bought a lot of useless crap over the years but this ranks in the top three. A 3 hundred dollar watch with the functionality of a 30 dollar watch. It’s already getting old hearing about how people love their Apple Watch and telling them the iconic wouldn’t make a good fishing weight. It hasn’t worked well enough to even test out in the pool. Probably sparks.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

Got my Ionic for Christmas and it's about as reliable as a meth-head on payday. To say that I am disappointed with this expensive device is an understatement. It seems like its half-baked, at best. Have to do a reset just about daily in order for it to sync with the app. I'm giving it a week, but my suspicion is that it'll be going back to Fitbit and replaced with an Apple or Garmin product. 

Best Answer

I just tried something and it worked - don't know if it will every time or if I was lucky.  Opened Fit Bit Connect - Tapped the Sync now option and then on my ionic went into setting and bluetooth and had the watch search for a new device - the next thing I know the fit bit connect application is syncing with my ionic.  If others try this and it works - would you let me know..... Thanks and sorry we have to be in a group - having this discussion....ARG!!!!

Best Answer

I have found two fairly reliable ways to sync this device. Pair headphones with the ionic ... boom. Syncs and stays sunc (lol)... or use Fitbit app on computer to connect to transfer music.  Boom, it syncs.  This is bizarre. I am happy that I have a work around which works but yeeeesh.

Best Answer
0 Votes
So far I am connected. I’ll let you know if it reverts back. Thank you!!!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Update: paired my Bose SoundSport with My Ionic today. Ever since it syncs flawlessly with the app! Will update if this changes. Crazy!

Best Answer

Guess I spoke too soon. Got crazy and decided to try to set up WiFi and that not only failed, but not sync is intermittent again. Man this Ionic is buggy as hell. 😕

Best Answer

Simply chiming in to register the fact that bluetooth sync is TERRIBLY unreliable!

Really garbage.

I love it otherwise, but am worried that if the losing sync issue keeps up like it has I will fall out of love.

Also, Fitbit Pay is a joke if we all have to setup new accounts with one of 2 banks to use it.

I read a review that said Fitbit provided preloaded cards to reviewers to test Fitbit Pay; which one(s) did they use? Where can we get those?

Best Answer

Same issue 😞 I can't:

• Use bluetooth to control the music on my phone
  • Get reminders to move
  • Check the watch battery on the app (says nearly empty even though it's 100% - won't update)
  • See sleep data in the app

These features are all basic things that I could have gotten from a cheaper model so I'm not sure why they don't work on what's meant to be the top of the range? When I'm home after work I'll try the delete-and-set-up-again fix but honestly that doesn't seem like a great way to get my Ionic to sync every time I need to use it.

Best Answer