Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ionic won’t sync

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I got my husband a brand New Ionic for Christmas and this morning he noticed it won’t sync at all. Is the only hope to unpair and delete from phone Bluetooth and reset up as a new device (which was the help guideline I saw on an older post). Has this not been fixed with a system upgrade or something? So confused as the watch was just set up yesterday. Thanks for the help! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
79 REPLIES 79

Hey everyone, first off please except my thanks for participating in this conversation. The fact that I’m not alone and that people are having similar but different experiences at least give me some nuances and some information when my Ionic does something strange. I will say that I made a commitment a week  ago to never again do the factory reset. If I can get it to sync even once, then my task is just to get it to sync. Something about it is very temperamental and the Bluetooth radio likes to switch itself off.  So far, for me, the connecting to transfer music and pairing headphones wirelessly  to the Watch seem to do the trick.   I have been at the depths of frustration with this thing. I am adapting to it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is seriously so frustrating. I won’t do a factory Reset again either. I myself ended up trading my blaze in for the iconic too, and have been having the same issue: today it was syncing but none of my texts would show. I ended up turning off Bluetooth on my phone and that seemed to fix it. But these quirks are annoying! I also am a huge starbucks Consumer, and had hoped I could use the app like I do the one on my phone, but I don’t think it’s the same. Maybe I’m wrong but I’m confused on how to do this. And the weather app is SO finicky—- I have to go into the Fitbit app and click on it there to update it on my watch. Real pain and I instead just check my phone 🙄 

Best Answer
Dang it!! I was hopeful! When is fitbit going to get on this problem!?!?😡

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Spent time on the phone with Fitbit support Friday. Since they can see where my Ionic has synced from time to time they don’t think there is anything wrong?!?!? I explained that I have to jump through hoops to get it to finally sync but they want to blame everything else other than an issue on their end.

Interestingly enough since I talked to them my Ionic has gotten better About syncing, and I was actually able to get Pandora working. 

Since it syncs much more reliably when it set it to search for Bluetooth devices, or when it’s connected to my Bluetooth earbuds I feel like the problem is that the Ionic is somehow cutting back the power to Bluetooth when it doesn’t think it needs it, maybe to save power?

Best Answer

Samsung galaxy j3 android 5.1.1 new fitbit ionic.

Same no sync issues.  works briefly then stops working.  Turned off always sync and 24 hour sync as sugested with no change in behavior.  No wonder they reduced the price. No software support.  No clue.

Best Answer

Joes1962 wrote:  I feel like the problem is that the Ionic is somehow cutting back the power to Bluetooth when it doesn’t think it needs it, maybe to save power?

This.   There is something going on where the fit bit either turns off it’s BT radio or doesn’t connect for long enough to sync or something. If I do something, as described in another post here, to force Bluetooth on or to force the ionic into a different mode, then it will certainly sync. It will also sync randomly during the day when it feels like it or when it gets just the right connection and it’s happy. Seems like a firmware issue 

Best Answer

Same issues here only mine worked great for 1+ months. Then two days ago the non sync cycle began. So frustrated ! 

Best Answer

Hello guys, hope you're doing well, and enjoying some healthy activities!

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about you Ionic devices' syncing difficulties. I appreciate enormously to all of you who have tried some troubleshooting steps.

I would first recommend removing any additional Fitbit devices from your accounts if you aren't using them to help improve syncing. I'd also like to suggest making sure that you're trying to sync your Ionics using a device listed as compatible in fitbit.com/devices.

Resetting the Bluetooth might be a good idea as well. Try opening your phone's Bluetooth settings, select the Ionic, then tell Bluetooth to forget the device, close your phone's settings, and then re-open the Fitbit app and try to connect to the Ionic.

After going through the set up again, then I'd say to give a try to the restart process by following these steps:

1. Press and hold the back (left) and bottom buttons until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.
  3. If your Fitbit Ionic doesn't work normally, use the instructions in How do I turn off my Fitbit device? to turn your watch off and on again.

After restarting your Ionic devices, I advise checking out these posts with useful tips to fix syncing issues. More info can be found here as well: Why won't my Fitbit device sync?

I noticed @averym's post has helped a couple of other fellow Ionic owners. Check it out here! Also, I've found this post by @mrmath3 with some troubleshooting steps. 

If this doesn't resolve your syncing difficulties, let me know and I'll be happy to work through it with you! Smiley Happy

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

FYI still not working, can't connect to wifi either to transfer music.

Really disappointed with this device, was hoping the acquisition of Pebble Fitbit would get a little more functional / a little less broken.

has anyone had any good experiences with Garmin? Thinking to grab one this weekend!

Best Answer

This is happening to me as well after 24 hours of it working find. Then a fitbit update came through and all hell broke loose.  This is my third Fitbit.  The ionic is not recognized by my computer or my android phone.  I have spent hours to the point of restarting, on and off blue tooth, new ionic setup, on and on...this is crazy!   Please advise.  

Best Answer

Sadly, I started charging my blaze again too.  Can anyone say why my phone Galaxy s7edge would work for a day and then stop syncing?  My ionic was a gift from my family.

Best Answer

I changed my clock face (I had the Trekkie clock loaded) since I received a message on my watch to change the clock face.  Syncing problems started from there. The night before was the fitbit software update.

Best Answer

Reset worked and the ionic fitbit synced to my phone! Yeah!!! Outstanding! Thank you @Jimmye!!!!  We will see how it continues to perform.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

The new fitbit Android app keeps a notification tray open on my phone and that seems to help with the syncing.  I haven't had sync issues since updating the fitbit Android app.  Used to have tons of problems.  I often still don't get call or email notifications though which is frustrating, but my ionic and Fitbit phone app are good about syncing now which is what I care most about.

OnePlus 5 | Fitbit ionic | Fitbit Flyer

Best Answer
0 Votes

I took your advice and it worked perfectly!    Thank you!!!  You saved my RunBet and StepBet results!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah!!!! The watch has a lot more tech than other versions and it will freeze when syncing at times. It’s gonna happen again and when it does I always reboot the watch (holding the main button and the bottom right button until I see the logo) and everything works !

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Update: I grabbed the Garmin for myself and it's ssoooo much better.
Gave the Ionic to my mum, and she's calling me today asking why the firmware won't update. It's connected to bluetooth headphones so bluetooth is definitely working, but the mobile app and the desktop app both say bluetooth is OFF and it can't connect to update. 

This brand makes trash products.

Best Answer

We should not have to jump through this many hoops just to get the basic features of such an expensive device to function.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I totally agree! I eventually asked for a refund but was told because it was past 30d and that wasn’t an option. They did offer a replacement which I received timely. I’m not having the sync issues (...yet), but it still doesn’t consistently give me call/text notifications. Some of the apps are still glitchy too. Like you said these are not issues we should have to live with with such an expensive devise. I so wish I’d listened to my gut and spent the little bit extra and got the Apple Watch. I continue to discourage anyone from purchasing this device. It does not provide the features fitbit promises.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
After repeated calls to tech with the same issue I eventually ask for a refund. Because I waited patiently for fitbit to fix this issue with updates I was out of the 30d window for money back option. They offered a replacement which I reluctantly accepted. It’s relatively painless. A call to tech support, firmly demand a replacement, they send an email, you confirm you opt for the replacement and then it arrives in roughly a week. At this point I’m not having the synch issue but notifications and apps remain glitchy.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes