Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resetting Fitbit Ionic

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Folks, when all else fails, try resetting your Ionic.  Here is how: Press and hold the left and bottom right buttons together, until the Fitbit icon appears, then release.

The reset has always worked for me when things get hookie and hopefully will for you as well!

Moderator Edit: Format

Community Council Member

Gunny | Richmond, VA (USA)

Ionic Adidas Edition, Versa Special Edition, Aria 2 & Flyer | iPhone & Windows 10

Take a look at the Fitbit Help site for further Assistance & Information.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Folks should be aware that the restart procedure as described by @GySgt_Seidell is definitely not a "when all else fails" solution.  In fact, it should be your very first solution.  It is quick and easy and will not affect your data in any way.  

Any time your Fitbit seems to be misbehaving a restart is a very good idea. If it doesn't work the first time, try it at least twice more!  There will be no harm done, and it is very likely to get everything working again.

The  factory reset has a much more dramatic effect.  It will certainly erase any unsynced data (so you might lose a lot of steps -- unlike in the restart procedure when you won't lose any -- and you may also lose various settings and need to re-set up your Ionic completely.  So, please, only do that when advised by Customer Support -- or if all else fails!  Here is how to do that (from the manual)

"Factory reset Ionic to erase apps and all personal data from the device, including credit and debit cards you added for Fitbit Pay. If you want to give Ionic to another person or wish to return it for a refund, first complete a factory reset: On Ionic, open the Settings app ( ) > About > Factory Reset."

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
176 REPLIES 176

Thank You Cat Happy

Best Answer
Here's the Factory Reset Procedure too in case anyone needs it and can't do via the App or Watch the normal way:

Remove the Ionic from your account.
Delete the bluetooth pairing.
Press and hold all buttons on the device.
Wait until the Fitbit logo disappears, then release the bottom right button.
Wait until you feel a vibration, then release the other buttons.
You will probably see a red X message, just ignore that and setup the device again.
Best Answer

Folks should be aware that the restart procedure as described by @GySgt_Seidell is definitely not a "when all else fails" solution.  In fact, it should be your very first solution.  It is quick and easy and will not affect your data in any way.  

Any time your Fitbit seems to be misbehaving a restart is a very good idea. If it doesn't work the first time, try it at least twice more!  There will be no harm done, and it is very likely to get everything working again.

The  factory reset has a much more dramatic effect.  It will certainly erase any unsynced data (so you might lose a lot of steps -- unlike in the restart procedure when you won't lose any -- and you may also lose various settings and need to re-set up your Ionic completely.  So, please, only do that when advised by Customer Support -- or if all else fails!  Here is how to do that (from the manual)

"Factory reset Ionic to erase apps and all personal data from the device, including credit and debit cards you added for Fitbit Pay. If you want to give Ionic to another person or wish to return it for a refund, first complete a factory reset: On Ionic, open the Settings app ( ) > About > Factory Reset."

Best Answer

Worked for me. Thanks. 

Best Answer

might work for you...but not for me

I've just received what is, so far, a piece of useless metal

1. the update process took 90 minutes before I could even 'use' it

2. it is stuck on 'clock error'

3. I cant choose another clock face (well I can but same error)

4. app says something hasnot finished installing...that'll be why it doesn't work...but it doesn't finish installing it

5. left and bottom...yes I've tried that...diddly squat difference.

fitbitt is doomed. apple+garmin will bankrupt it by Christmas at this rate

Best Answer

tfk wrote: 

fitbitt is doomed. apple+garmin will bankrupt it by Christmas at this rate

I don’t wish fitbit bad or anything, but really, how many times am I expected to reset this thing? Also I lost all my sleep activity and morning activity. I didn’t realize my tracker needed to be reset.......again. 

Best Answer

"Folks should be aware that the restart procedure ... should be your very first solution... If it doesn't work the first time, try it at least twice more!"

What a bunch of Restarting the watch never fixes anything. The hardware and software are not changed at all by restarting the watch - so how can anything be fixed? Restarting the watch may get the watch temporarily working again (if it does that much), but only until the next time that it fails.

The only reason Fitbit support suggests restarting as the first "solution" is because they don't have the skills to do proper problem determination and write a bug report for the development team.  Fitbit saves money by not investing in a properly-qualified customer support team. This attitude is detrimental to the quality of their products, but that doesn't matter to Fitbit - they already have your money.

Moderator Edit: Format/Word Choice

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner, it really depends on what your problem is...  If your Fitbit won't sync, then a restart often fixes it.

I had a more serious problem with my Ionic when I first set it up.  It was missing several apps, including a crucial one -- the "settings" app.  

A restart caused the missing apps to appear and the problem has not recurred.  For earlier versions of Fitbits restart was often the complete solution, as sometimes the device gets stuck in some background activity that the user can't even see but which interferes with ordinary function.  With a restart the activity is closed down, and things work well again.

I don't know about you, but when my computer is misbehaving I also begin with a restart -- as before it will close down any activities that have got its (metaphorical) knickers in a twist.

So I would say it is ALWAYS a good idea to try a restart.  It may very well work, and if it does, it saves you a lit of bother and gets you going again, and has cost you almost no time at all.

Best Answer

yes @Julia_G and thank you for your replies

but your analogy is misplaced.

we seem to have all restarted our devices...just like we would with the once infamous windows 3-fingered salute of doom.

but that hasn't fixed it for us with our new Ionics

what seems to be required is a complete re-installation of the metaphorical windows.

this sort of situation just should never happen when you start a new device with out-of-the-box apps.

even Microsoft OEM resellers test that their device works when you receive it. they don't test for all the many thousands of pieces of junk software that you may later install on it.

I ain't got no junk installed on my Fitbit...as you have very very (very....did I say very) few apps in your app store.

Best Answer

Hi, @tfk, my "analogy" was not false: I had what appeared to be a serious problem with my brand new Ionic (missing apps) and a restart did indeed solve it.  I only mentioned this because a previous person posted that a restart never solves anything.  This is false.

I then mentioned that this tends to be my approach with my computer too, and that also often "solves" problems.  I know it sounds like voodoo -- and 90% of me believes it is voodoo!  But the other 10% is (sometimes) willing to acceot the explanation that shutting down all background activities can, indeed, reset things.

I don't know why you refer to my app store!  I don't have an app store...  

Best Answer

The restart of your watch did nothing to fix the defect that caused your problem with your Ionic having missing apps. Why were the apps missing? What change(s) does Fitbit need to make to its software to prevent this problem from happening to future customers? You haven't got a clue, and you clearly don't care about improving the quality of your software.

Regarding your other example of the device getting stuck in a background task that is hanging.... What task was hanging? Why was it hanging? What changes does Fitbit or the app's authors need to make to prevent the task from hanging in the future? Again you don't seem to care or want to improve the quality of the Fitbit software.

With the opening of the app store there are going to be many apps from many authors all with the potential to hang or cause other difficulties for the Ionic watch. A primitive support approach of "restart the device" just isn't going to cut it going forward. The support team is going to have to do its job and learn to properly diagnose problems and  report them to development.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner you would be a great person to have on the other end of the support line. I suspect strongly that you know what you are talking about.

Shame you don't work for Fitbit 😉

@Julia_G .... I'm assuming you do work in some way for Fitbit...apologies if not.

Best Answer

@tfk, I do not work for Fitbit.

Best Answer

Hey GySgt Seidell... You are my saviour... I was so frustrated... I was getting nothing form Fitbit... Thanks for your advice...

Mark

Best Answer

LOL is all I can say

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I did everything. Holding the two buttons did not help. No fitbit logo. only the light of the hearth rate detection place lights. İt does not reset. 

Best Answer

Did that. Twice. Now how do I reset the 8500 steps it gave me while I was asleep and it was plugged in on the table in the other room?

Best Answer

Thanks. The reset worked

Best Answer

it didn't work, there is nothing to do to get screen response, even plugging it to the charger!!

My Ionic will give me a heart attack someday !! 

Best Answer