Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps while charging

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I set up my fitbit ionic last night. I left it on the charger all night and when i woke up this morning it shows 40,000 steps. It does not show specific hours so when i logged driving it did not delete the steps. How can i fix this. I also restarted the fitbit.

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
134 REPLIES 134

I charged my Versa overnight whuke I slept. When I got up I put it I'm and it says over 8000 steps have been taken. Already reset Versa twice which doesnt help. I charge my Versa on a dresser. It has happened a few times now. How do I fix this

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! Thanks for your continuous participation on this thread regarding Ionic counting steps while charging. 

Please perform a restart on Ionic as a first step.

Some of you may already know this. However, sometimes this happens as a result of a fan or anything that may have been buzzing or vibrating on the same surface that Ionic was placed on. If this is the case, please try placing Ionic on a different surface without any vibrations and check if the same persists. 

If the same persists or it continues to happen even when charging on a non vibrating surface; the best thing to do is to report this to customer support. They should be able to check further and help you out with the best solution available. I can help you to create a case in you behalf if needed. 

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

What works for me is that i charge my ionic using my Surface pro, charges without adding any steps if i use my computer then steps are added. hope this is of some help. 

Best Answer

What a great idea! I'll just go out and buy a $1000 laptop to make sure my fitbit calculates steps properly, even though the functionality is already in the device, its just being calculated incorrectly in one part of the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes
@SantiR wrote:

Hello everyone! Thanks for your continuous participation on this thread regarding Ionic counting steps while charging. 

Please perform a restart on Ionic as a first step.

Some of you may already know this. However, sometimes this happens as a result of a fan or anything that may have been buzzing or vibrating on the same surface that Ionic was placed on. If this is the case, please try placing Ionic on a different surface without any vibrations and check if the same persists. 

If the same persists or it continues to happen even when charging on a non vibrating surface; the best thing to do is to report this to customer support. They should be able to check further and help you out with the best solution available. I can help you to create a case in you behalf if needed. 

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

No, this doesn't work. As has already been displayed (and seemingly ignored), the device is incrementing two different counts (as shown by the different numbers within the app display), being differentiated by the app but the device is showing the correct steps AND the 'phantom' steps.

This is a software fix, not hardware.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes it does work, it works for me unlucky it was just an idea

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having the exact same problem.  Different charging locations, different chargers, et cetera.  It is an intermittent problem.  I'm sorry but I don't buy the "microvibrations" excuse.  Nothing about the acceleration patterns of very fast vibrations mimics any human motion.  It seems to just be the device losing its mind for some reason.  Also tellingly is that the graphs no longer match the total step count when this thing happens, not even close.  The graphs match more the actual step counts.  I don't know why this is listed as solved it is most decidedly not solved.  Yes I've done resets.

Best Answer

I've recently had the same issue, first time in a year of using this device.  I took my ionic off for the night and had about 13,000 steps.  When I did a sync in the morning,  I had 20,000 extra steps!

After reading through this,  I'm realizing that it probably has to do with a very loud air conditioner that has been running through the night.  

So restarting the watch, doing a factory reset, changing the location of charging, and logging driving just don't seem like "solutions" as it's clearly a fitbit glitch. 

I don't wear my watch while I'm sleeping, so I've just been turning my device off at night, and that works for now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My ionic just started doing all the tings defined in this thread. I have restarted it about a dozen times. I have even factory reset it and  reset it up again. It is sitting on the charger on my nightstand and it counts steps, then reboots. Over and over. Thoughts? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did it and the problem is still there, there are any other thing to do or I have to return it?

Best Answer
0 Votes

How do I do a restart so my ionic stops tracking steps while it’s charging? Do I remove it and re-add it?

Best Answer

I'm not sure what you mean by removing and re-adding it, but you can shut down by going to Settings > About > Shutdown. Press the button on the left side to start it back up.

I've actually never charged it while it is shut down. The watch may start back up when you connect it to the charger.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Kel322 @Cfamily @Ddragnlade Welcome to the Fitbit forums! Thanks for your participation on this thread regarding Ionic counting steps while charging. 

If you haven't done so already, please perform a restart on Ionic, this is good to do as a first step.

Sometimes this happens as a result of a fan or anything that may have been buzzing or vibrating on the same surface that Ionic was placed on while charging or not being worn. If this is the case, please try placing Ionic on a different surface without any vibrations and check if the same persists. 

If the same persists or it continues to happen even when charging on a non vibrating surface; the best thing to do is to report this to customer support. They should be able to check further and help you out with the best solution available. I can help you to create a case in you behalf if needed. 

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! 

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Hi,

I just bought a FitBit Versa this week and I am having the same issue.  Every time I get it off the charging dock (I charge it at night while I sleep), it shows I've done thousands of steps, which I obviously did not do while I was sleeping. I have restarted the device but it still shows the inaccurate steps. 

I see that most of these comments regarding this problem are from 2017.  Do you have any new updates or resolutions for this issue?

Thanks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Update: I also see the comments from 2018 but nothing new on this fix.  I have already tried shutting down my device and changed the location of the charging dock.  These steps have not fixed the problem.

Best Answer
0 Votes

the False steps issue is NOT fixed as of August 1, 2018. Ionic is sitting by itself, not connected to the charger and walked 60,000 steps overnight!

Best Answer
I was tired of the step issue.. I called customer service and I was told they would look into it.. so I sold my Fitbit and got a Apple Watch.. now I’m happy..

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I had luck with charging my Ionic sitting on its side instead of on its
face.

Others have said this didn't work for them but it is worth a shot.
Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer
0 Votes
I was tired of this issue.. I would call customer service and they would say they were looking into it.. so I sold my Fitbit and got a Apple Watch..

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I went to my dashboard to log my activity as driving (I know I wasn't wearing my Ionic but it said I took 55000 steps in one day) but my steps haven't negated. Help?

Best Answer
0 Votes