Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps while charging

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I set up my fitbit ionic last night. I left it on the charger all night and when i woke up this morning it shows 40,000 steps. It does not show specific hours so when i logged driving it did not delete the steps. How can i fix this. I also restarted the fitbit.

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
134 REPLIES 134

Mine is doing the same thing. So frustrating. Turning it on and off offers no help! Has this been resolved? If so, solution, please...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am still having the issue after several restarts. I have not tried turning off the fitbit while charging, I guess that will be my next step once it needs charging. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've had my Ionic for four months now and I just experienced this for the first time (that I have noticed anyway).  I had about 6K steps in today when I put it on the charger and when I took it off I had 17,544.

I did do things slightly different than how I typically charge it.

1.  I rested it on my laptop while charging so there is a possibility that the fan in the laptop induced vibrations into the Ionic

2.  I typically charge it on its side but this time it was sitting on the bezel/screen with the charger sticking straight up.

Although it shows ~17K steps, if I look at the graph for Daily steps there are no steps indicated for the time period the phantom steps accumulated.  Also, If I add up all of the individual lines shown in the graph it only totals 6266.  Since the phantom steps didn't show up in the graph portion it appears to me to be an error in the total step count calculation.  If the phantom steps were detected due to vibrations it should show up in the graph as well.  (BTW, I tried to upload a screenshot but I couldn't figure out how the insert/edit image feature worked.)

I am still running 27.31.1.16 as I've been afraid to upgrade to the latest version since there are many accounts of people having problems post upgrade.  However since this particular issue was never acknowledged as a software problem I highly doubt it was fixed in the latest firmware either.

Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Snowing101 @SunsetRunner Welcome to the Fitbit Community! Thanks for reporting this and for trying any workarounds found here.

When charging your Ionics, is there a possibility that something like a fan or anything similar may have been vibrating or buzzing on the same surface that the Ionic was placed? If so, please try charging it on a different surface without any vibrations and check if this situation persists. .

Also, feel free to vote for the feature suggestion indicated on this previous post. It is always good to support this kind of ideas.

@Hebrews12-1 It's great to see you in the Fitbit forums! Thanks for sharing your experience on this thread. Have you experienced this once again since you started doing the things you posted above? 

Also, I'd recommend updating your Ionic to its latest version. It is always good to have the latest one as these updates include bug fixes too (check the link I left there).

Additionally, if you would like to share a screen shot in your reply, please use the option highlighted on the screen shot below:

photossss.PNG

Hope this helps. Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer

Add me to the ever growing list of unhappy users.  It really doesn't make sense to me that this isn't an easy fix.  You physically can't wear the tracker while charging.  So why would the tracker be tracking anything while in that state?

This is obviously a flaw with the device.  A little transparency from Fitbit would go a long way.  Instead of saying there is something wrong with the way I charge it, just admit that your tracker currently has a flaw and that you are doing your best to resolve it.  Otherwise it feels like you're waiting out the return policy time bomb and then just offering 25% discounts on the next tracker.

Best Answer

Same thing for me last night. Fitbit sitting on a dresser charging logged 33,000 steps before I woke up and put it on.

Super frustrating! 

Best Answer

My Fitbit Ionic was not charging last night, it was sitting on the same spot that I leave it every night (with never ANY issues).  I woke up this morning to a notification on my phone that I had reached my goal for the day (7,500 steps) and by 6:30 it had logged a phantom 8,929 steps.  I have restarted my Fitbit several times and it has not fixed the issue.  It shows one bulk add for the steps and does not break them down by the hours like it usually does.  Where is a fix for this?? 

This issue seems to have been going on for quite some time.  These are expensive devices.  I received mine for Christmas from my boyfriend and I can imagine his frustration for spending this much money on something that isn't going to work properly.  He could have spent his money on something else for me. 

I've also noticed lately that it's not tracking my workouts like it used to.  Same work outs, just not tracking my heart rate properly resulting in an inaccurate reading for my workouts.  This is getting really frustrating!!   

Best Answer

NOT SOLVED, Fitbit. My ionic is still doing the same thing. And no, I didn’t leave it by a fan or on a surface that vibrates! (First of all, that’s such a ridiculous thing to speculate! Oh that’s right, I was charging it on my dog who moves a lot. Thanks Fitbit.)

Please fix it!!

Best Answer

I have shutdown and turned on multiple time and still have over 30k steps that happened overnight 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I have had this problem twice this week. I charge the ionic overnight and it has >40000 steps in the morning when I pick it up. I tried to restart it four times just now, but that did not change the inaccurate number of steps. Is there another solution?

Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Make sure it is by a fan or air conditioner..

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've mentioned this previously but thought it might be worth repeating.  I only have this issue when the Ionic is resting on the screen while charging.  If I have it laying on its side I don't see the issue.  

You may want to try charging it on it's side to see if that makes a difference for you.

Ionic, Pixel 2 XL
Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have this issue and it's annoying. I don't have anything vibrating like a fan near where I charge it and I always charge it on it's side. One thing that worked for me was to switch the setting to my dominant hand, which messes up the accuracy. So I think it's a sensitivity issue and Fitbit doesn't know what to do about it. I'll try moving the charger. I have not tried that yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My new Ionic counts tens of thousands of steps while on the charger.  It works properly when it is not charging.  I have tried restarting it.  It would not be an issue if Fitbit let you zero out your steps, but that is not an option.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having a similar issue; when the unit is charging or not, it is recording steps 2-3 steps per second when it is just setting on the table. I have restarted the device multiple times (~10+ times). I will let it charge overnight to see if this helps the issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes
This is clearly not a priority for fitbit, i encourage you to vote with your wallet like i will be doing.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Since I moved my Ionic charger to another outlet away from other electronics, I have not have the issue again, but I'll keep monitoring it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Even after taken off of the charger, it is still recording 2-3 steps per
second, sitting on the table next to me, pushing me over 39k steps at 9am.
I reset the Fitbit about 10 times again with no change.
Best Answer
0 Votes

That sounds like a different problem then this "Steps while charging" thread. I'd call them up for that problem. They probably need to replace yours. 

Best Answer
0 Votes