Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps while charging

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I set up my fitbit ionic last night. I left it on the charger all night and when i woke up this morning it shows 40,000 steps. It does not show specific hours so when i logged driving it did not delete the steps. How can i fix this. I also restarted the fitbit.

Moderator edit: edited title for clarity

Best Answer
134 REPLIES 134
Just so you know we have not had any issues since changing locations away from the fan.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I put my Fitbit ionic on charge overnight and it said I had done over 23000 steps while I was asleep this has happened twice now and I’m getting sick of it as it’s a brand new watch. I had the charge 2 and it never happen while on charge in the same place.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I was just charging mine at my desk here at work and got 10,000-plus extra steps! The agent said next time try charging at a location that doesn't have any vibrations. 

We'll see if that solution works!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Renster wrote:

Yes, I was just charging mine at my desk here at work and got 10,000-plus extra steps! The agent said next time try charging at a location that doesn't have any vibrations. 

We'll see if that solution works!

I'm not buying the agents' explanation, I mean that's the whole premise of Fitbit, is it's supposed be highly accurate, at detecting "false steps" and the like (I'm pretty sure there's a % quote somewhere, in the marketing).

I saw this once, right after I got it, and then last night (only about 1400 last night), and then today, between when I got back from a ride (33mi, no steps, except foot-down at stops). I walked around the house a little, and dinner, and all of a sudden I picked up 5000 steps (in maybe 30 minutes, and no I wasn't doing laps around the house), and I bet I had 500, give-or-take.

This is particularly annoying, because I primarily use steps/HR, only occasionally turning on the GPS.

I mostly ride (bulk of intentional exercise), and I prefer to not charge it that often, and mileage isn't a key factor, I already have it tracked otherwise.

It won't matter much when I'm pedaling, but it's going to be bad if it starts to double-down when I'm walking, or similar, it's kind of losing it's point (of existence).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Add me to the phantom steps club - 46,210!  Overnight, sitting on my dresser, not charging with latest firmware.  Now, I agree this shouldn't be happening, but I think there's something to the 'fan vibrations' theory. 

I left the watch on my dresser overnight several times before without issue.  However, after thinking about it, I realized that this time I left it flat on surface of the dresser, whereas previously I left it on its side.  And yes, I have an air purifier on my dresser that also doubles as a white-noise generator for the bedroom.

So I'm going to experiment tonight and leave it on it's side again.  For now, I've simply rebooted and it seems to be working fine.  No need for factory reset.

BTW, this issue is not "solved" by reseting 3 times.  And what difference does 3 make over 1?  Does a single reset not fully reset the device?  Doesn't ring true...

Samsung S8 Plus with Android 7.0, Ionic (27.32.10.20)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Since that first night of getting over 10k while charging I moved my watch to the same location I used to charge my Blaze at and so far have not had a single mysterious step get recorded.  I think that having the fan on next to the ionic while charging definitely had an impact on creating these mysterious steps that appeared.  I'm not sure if it is the vibrations or the airflow that caused it though. But the fan is on a concrete pillar and it is only a small fan so I doubt there was much in the way of vibrations for the ionic to pick up on, so my guess would be the air flow or change in air pressure passing over the watch that caused the extra steps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i left my ionic on charge over night & somehow managed to clock up 60k in steps?!?!?

any wonder i woke up exhausted😂

any suggestions?

Best Answer

@mountie12 wrote:

i left my ionic on charge over night & somehow managed to clock up 60k in steps?!?!?

any wonder i woke up exhausted😂

any suggestions?

One would suggest getting a ball and chain (if you already have a ball and chain, then get a real heavy steel ball and chain 😉 ) to stop you from sleepwalking overnight. You can also place a few hundred thumbtacks on the ground just outside the bedroom door to wake you should you start sleepwalking again. 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try charging on a spot that does not have any vibrations.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Did not work and still gives false reading

Best Answer

The re-start 'solution' is not working for me. I'm still getting steps added whilst charging. I've just returned a TomTom Adventurer for (massive) inaccuracy and would rather not do the same with my Ionic. I have become used to the Fitbit App (it's my fourth device from the company) and I really like the Ionic.

If it is a vibration issue, then there should be ways of sorting the problem as it seems to be negatively affecting a lot of customers' experience of the product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same bug.

Restaring is not working

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had to send mine back and the replacement works flawlessly. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried restarts & factory resets, and I've moved it to different places whilst charging to eliminate the possibility of vibrations from computer fans or anything else that might cause the watch to register steps. The problem persists.

I'd be much happier, it instead of mugging their users off, Fitbit simply acknowledged there's a bug in the device that needs a fix. Surely it makes sense that while charging that the watch can ignore inputs from all of its sensors as it's not being worn, so why not turn them off during charge?

Best Answer

wrote:

Surely it makes sense that while charging that the watch can ignore inputs from all of its sensors as it's not being worn, so why not turn them off during charge?

@JAH67That seems like a reasonable request to me, why don't you pop over to the "Feature Suggestion" area and post a Feature Request then put the link here and I'll gladly vote for it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I charged last night and 62,000 steps were present this morn with no movement.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Guys this has been discussed many times in this forum over the past weeks. It seems to be a severe and common bug. I haven't experienced it yet thankfully, but really feel for those of you that have. 

There is already a suggestion over in the features thread to turn off tracking when on charge, it is here: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/No-tracking-when-charging-for-Ionic/idi-p/254515...

I would like to stress how important it is to search the forum for previous threads and suggestions, just to ensure that all issues and ideas are consolidated and focused in one place, rather than scattered and diluted across the forum. This will surely make our voices louder for the Fitbit team.

Best Answer

Why is this thread marked as solved when people are still having this issue?

Best Answer

@LeeCoplandwrote:

Why is this thread marked as solved when people are still having this issue?

Because the person who originally posted this thread got answer that solved it for them, you see it is the original poster that gets to click the "Solved" option if a reply that was posted worked for them. If others are still having issues then either they haven't read all the posts on this or other threads or their problem is not quite the same as the original posters.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Good point.
Best Answer
0 Votes