Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voluntary Safety Recall of Fitbit Ionic Smartwatches

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

ionic_product.pngFitbit, in conjunction with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), announced a voluntary recall of Fitbit Ionic smartwatches, which the company introduced in 2017 and stopped producing in 2020. The battery in the Ionic smartwatch can overheat, posing a burn hazard.

The health and safety of Fitbit users is our highest priority. We are taking this action out of an abundance of caution for our users. We will offer a refund to Fitbit Ionic customers.

This voluntary recall is specific to Fitbit Ionic devices. It does not impact any other Fitbit smartwatches or trackers.

If you have an impacted Fitbit Ionic device, please stop using it and visit our webpage where you’ll find:

• Answers to common questions
  • Information on how to receive a refund 
  • Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.
Best Answer
6,642 REPLIES 6,642

I read a  US report online at 3pm today regarding the Ionic recall. I'm in the UK. I went through the Ionic refund process straight away, got registered, received  the codes by email. My Ionic was disabled and deleted by Fitbit, by 5pm, I had ordered a new Sense, two sport wristbands, and a years Premium, For €180, (about £150). Apparently, my order is being despatched. Due in 3 to 5 days. Refund to follow in 6 weeks or so. About £250 if the UK gets the same as US.

Best Answer

When I click on the link I get stuck at the first page after entering US and State and it just spins. Been like this for over an hour. 

Best Answer

@Lee10562 I think they are overwhelmed and their websites can't handle all the traffic. 

Best Answer

Is this for real? thought it was a scam 

Best Answer

Nathan, How fast was the PAYPAL refund?

Best Answer

@peterbea142 wrote:

I read a  US report online at 3pm today regarding the Ionic recall. I'm in the UK. I went through the Ionic refund process straight away, got registered, received  the codes by email. My Ionic was disabled and deleted by Fitbit, by 5pm, I had ordered a new Sense, two sport wristbands, and a years Premium, For €180, (about £150). Apparently, my order is being despatched. Due in 3 to 5 days. Refund to follow in 6 weeks or so. About £250 if the UK gets the same as US.

Pays to be quick off the mark it seems.

My request went through, they've removed my Ionic from my app but I haven't received the e-mail with the codes yet (been an hour) so unlikely I'll order anything tonight; I guess they're overloaded but I expected the e-mail with the codes would be automatic, or that there would at least be one confirming the process was happening.

Best Answer

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your question about the Ionic recall.

We’re offering the discount off a range of products that offer similar features to Ionic, along with our latest improvements and new features. To learn more about the Ionic recall and how to get your refund, visit our webpage at help.fitbit.com/ionic, where you’ll find:

* Answers to common questions

* Information on how to receive a refund 

* Access to a special discount on select Fitbit devices, bands, and services, if available in your region, for a limited time.

Thank you for your continued support and being a member of the Fitbit family.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

My registration has been stuck on the intake.sedgwick.com page for a couple hours now.  It just spins.  So once we complete the registration process our Ionic will be deleted from the account and we will lose our ability to sync our information until we get a new device? 

Best Answer

@RogerLuech wrote:

My registration has been stuck on the intake.sedgwick.com page for a couple hours now.  It just spins.  So once we complete the registration process our Ionic will be deleted from the account and we will lose our ability to sync our information until we get a new device? 

Yes, it gets removed from the Fitbit App and won't sync anymore.  I haven't tried to readd mine, presumably they won't let that happen.

Getting a new device gets put off until you get the voucher of course... seems that side of things has slowed down.

Best Answer

Hi, the same happened to me as well. I called the refund contact number and the rep stated that your Iconic must be synced to your account for the registration to go through. I have since brought a Versa 3 and discontinued the Iconic on my account. To get the refund I must sync the iconic back to my

account and go through the refund process again. Not a happy camper.

Best Answer

It's ridiculous that Fitbit is in the wrong but yet they make the customer have to try over and over just to access the refund page and than we have to wait up to 6 weeks for a refund

Best Answer

@HughT wrote:

Hi, the same happened to me as well. I called the refund contact number and the rep stated that your Iconic must be synced to your account for the registration to go through. I have since brought a Versa 3 and discontinued the Iconic on my account. To get the refund I must sync the iconic back to my

account and go through the refund process again. Not a happy camper.

After reading that I tried to readd mine to see what would happen.

It appears to start to add the Ionic but then there is a message "this device has been locked and cannot be paired".  So I can't readd it to try and go through the process again, guess I'll get my code eventually.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought an ionic Dec 2017 from Amazon, then another ionic August 2019 directly from Fitbit, then another replacement May 2020 that was given to me under warranty. I spent a total of $ 642.90 Canadian. My ionic devices do not work and I cannot connect it. It was completely dead and I have it tossed out. I'm now using a Versa 3. I still all my order confirmation. I'm hoping this is enough information to process a refund. The person I spoke to said I have to connect my device. I hope this she's incorrect. 

Best Answer

Unfortunately the website appears to be swamped, just getting through the 'registration' page then after entering my information it just spools with a logo spinning endlessly, once I got an error message and had to resubmit.  I have 3 Ionics so wonder if I have to go through this 3 times or if I can do it all at once.  I tried live chat and they couldn't help me and directed me back to the website.

Best Answer

You may notice some technical difficulties on our registration page. Please try again later. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

The only reimbursment method is PayPal (my country is Poland). I don't have a PayPal account. What should I do?

OnePlus 6 OxygenOS 10.3.9, Fitbit Ionic 27.72.1.0, Fitbit App 3.40.1
Best Answer
0 Votes

@YojanaFitbit What about my situation? I registered successfully and was able to submit my reference number for the discount. However the email for the discount is completely missing the code. 

Capture.PNG

Best Answer

@jonpete I haven't received the PayPal refund yet, it stated it may take between 3-6 weeks. 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

So it looks like you have to immediately stop using your Ionic and wait for a new device to arrive?

I wish they would let you use it until the replacement arrives.

Best Answer

They should for sure, it's 100% Fitbits issue but they make the customer suffer

Best Answer