Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

app for downhill skiing

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I down hill ski, cross country ski and snowshoe.  There are not specific apps for these. Snowshoeing I would use the hiking exercise app but what about down hill skiing and cross country skiing?
Thanks,

Mary

Moderator edit: added label

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@highpeakshiker Welcome to the Fitbit family! That is actually a very interesting idea. 

Currently, it is possible to manually log cross country skiing activities. However, there isn't an specific Ionic App to do this or for the other skiing activities. 

I'd recommend posting your ideas to have a Skiing App for Ionic on the Feature Suggestions Board. This way, users can vote for the idea to make it popular. Developers often check this board, so it is a good idea to post it there.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted if you post an idea! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

@highpeakshiker Welcome to the Fitbit family! That is actually a very interesting idea. 

Currently, it is possible to manually log cross country skiing activities. However, there isn't an specific Ionic App to do this or for the other skiing activities. 

I'd recommend posting your ideas to have a Skiing App for Ionic on the Feature Suggestions Board. This way, users can vote for the idea to make it popular. Developers often check this board, so it is a good idea to post it there.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted if you post an idea! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Thank you!  I will do that.

Mary

Best Answer

@highpeakshiker You are very welcome! Hope this will help other users as well and hope they will vote for the related suggestions.

Also, take a look at the Discussions Board as you will find a lot of interesting things there. Feel free to post on any thread you want. If you are looking for Fitbit friends to compete with on challenges, check this thread to add some! 

See you around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

That covers the cross country part of it. I am a ski patrol and would like to have a gps solution to track where I have been on the mountain all day and the distance. I am disappointed that this Fitbit does not have something for this purpose. My Garmin was not nearly as expensive and had a great GPS tracking app / map for my skiing and hikes.

can we expect something to do this any time in the near future or will I have to buy a different watch again?

Best Answer

@KAT1960 Welcome to the Fitbit family! Thanks for your interest in being able to track Ski with GPS.

I was making some research on the Feature Suggestions Board and found these ideas:

Please check the ideas and vote for the ones you support the most.

Also, you can currently track your hikes with GPS using the Exercise App on Ionic. All you need to do is editing the exercise shortcuts to have hike as an option. Follow these steps to do this:

• Open the Fitbit App.
  • Tap the account icon.
  • Tap your Ionic's picture.
  • Tap "Exercise Shortcuts".
  • Tap "Edit".
  • Tap the (-) red symbol at the side of any of the exercises you would like to replace and "delete".
  • Tap on "+ Exercise Shortcut".
  • Search for "Hike" and tap it.
  • Sync your Ionic to make changes effective.

Hope this helps. Try that out and let me know how it goes! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I’m finding that, after a year of owning an ionic, the hardware is great but the software is a let down. The battery life and gps accuracy are some of the best out there, but there just isn’t any way for me to use them to track my activities, such as snowboarding, surfing and SUP, in a meaningful way. I do, however, have the option to track Pilates, yoga and workouts separately. Why??? They don’t track any different metrics! I wanted to be able to leave the phone behind while participating in outdoors activities. But if my only option to track snowboarding and surfing (and other such unsupported activities) is by using the ‘hike’ option, and then changing the title in strava, I might as well start using the phone and the relevant apps again. Fitbit are missing a huuuuge opportunity here- come on, figure it out!

Best Answer

Have you tried using the app Alpine Snow to track snowboarding/skiing? 

Best Answer
No I haven’t. Does it link to the ionic and/or strava?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got an ionic today and have been fiddling around with it. I will be snowboarding tomorrow and will try out Alpine Snow. I'll update you afterward with how it works out!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sounds good! I’ve tried Trace, Ski Tracks and Slopes with no luck so far.
Best Answer
0 Votes

So Alpine Snow created a log for the exercise while snowboarding, paused the tracker during the lift ride, tracked distance snowboarded and pace (pace is logged in feet and inches though, which doesn’t make much sense to me). It did not log anything in Strava, which is unfortunate. I’ll probably use the app again since it’s been the only thing I’ve found that syncs with Fitbit. Trace is my favorite app for tracking snowboarding, I wish they had a partnership with Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I looked in the App store on my iphone and do not see an Alpine Snow app.  Is that the actual name of the app?  
Thanks,

Mary

Best Answer
0 Votes

@highpeakshiker Yes, it is called Alpine Snow and you can find it in Recently added 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@highpeakshiker yes, Alpine Snow is the name of the app. If you have a Fitbit ionic, you can find it by opening the Fitbit app on your iPhone and clicking the icon of your Fitbit in the upper left corner then clicking on the “Apps” tile on the same page as you would find the “how to use” tile. Once you click on it you should get a list of te apps you currently have. At the top of the screen you can select “all apps” from which you should be able to search for Alpine Snow. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much! I was looking in the iphone App store!! I have it now!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello guys! I'm glad to hear you're testing Alpine Snow. Smiley Very Happy If you have any questions or doubts about this new great app, please see this thread and leave your comment. The developer is gather all your feedback. 

Let me know if there's any questions present, I'll be around! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes
I just don’t see why Fitbit can’t put a ski mode under the ‘Exercise’ app. That way, it would ave HR, map, speeds, etc, and link to Strava. That way, we can continue to have all our data in one place. By using a third-party app that doesn’t link to Strava, or display any of the other useful metrics in one place, I’m no better off than when I was just using a dedicated ski app on my phone.
Best Answer

@SurfingSARBoy I totally agree, it shouldn't be that hard for FitBit to add metrics to allow tracking of skiing/snowboarding. The benefit to using Alpine Snow rather than an app like Trace is that it creates a log of the activity in Fitbit and you don't have to manually log anything... but the stats it gives are mediocre at best  

Best Answer

Hey guys @loloninja and @SurfingSARBoy, thanks for stopping by and for getting back! I'd like to give thanks for the feedback you've provided towards our product. Rest assured that our engineers and product development team use this information to further improve our products and services.

We provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on that feedback. 

Please refer to @SantiR's post to see the existing feature suggestions. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

If there's any questions present, let me know. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer
0 Votes