Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 -- Lose 20 pounds by Mother's Day -- 2015!

Hi!  I just saw a thread from 2014 where a group of mom's and non-mom's set a goal to lose 20 pounds by Mother's Day.  Anyone want to start one for 2015 with me?  I have about 35 pounds to lose total, but 20 by May sounds like a good goal to me. 

I am going to try to get my 10,0000 steps in and I am joining a gym this weekend to add strength training and cardio. 

Best Answer
469 REPLIES 469

Hey Everyone.. 

Anyone have any tips on warding off hunger?  Just had a big smoothie for breakfast: 1.5 cups of greens, 1 small banana, one small tangerine, 1.5 cups of water.. delicious!   I know I will be hungry in an hour . 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would add some protein to your smoothie. Either some greek yogurt, peanut
butter or eat a hard boiled egg. Our bodies need some protein! Good luck!
Best Answer

Hello, everyone!  I started this thread yesterday (or the day before?) and am so excited to see so many people here and encouraging each other.  One of my biggest challenges to healthy eating is that I procrastinate work, housework, errands, etc. by fooling around on the computer and then I don't have time for a healthy meal so I end up gragging something that is not healthy.  So, personally, I am going to try to limit my time obsessing on here to a reasonable number of check-in's per week.  I know other people really benefit from frequent updates and encouragement and that checking in on the chat helps people be mindful of their goals and actions, so don't let me hamper that!

Yesterday, my husband and I joined a gym that has childcare and my kids loved the playroom, so I am happy that I will be able to workout without feeling too guilty about dropping them in the babysitting room.  Also, I'm planning to start doing group exercise classes there with cardio and strengh training -- I work much harder with an instructor giving direction and when I can see my classmates working hard. 

20 pounds in 16 weeks will be tough for me because I am very, very undisciplined, but I think I will feel so much better if I'm healthier, so here goes!

Best Answer

Oh, and Canada, I agree with CMoore -- I am always hungry in the mid-morning if I don't get enough protein at breakfast and, for me, I am always hungry if I "drink" my calories, or get them through soup or yogurt.  I need to chew something to feel like I ate enough.  So, I would have an egg (soft boiled or poached, no added fat), maybe with whole-grain toast for some fiber and long-lasting carbs (no butter).  And then I'd lighten my lunch a little, or eat it later and not have an afternoon snack.

Best Answer
You have made a great plan. Now work your plan. I am doing some of those
things. I take the steps to the 3rd floor every day. I need to park
farther away. I only park far on days that I am late. We have a line
dancing class after work on Tuesday and Thursday so those days I go up to
10000. I will work on doing more the rest of the week. I eat relatively
well by packing my lunch, eat breakfast every day and aim for a balanced
dinner. My spouse brings in "bad" items and I get off track. It's a big
problem.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Drink more hot liquid. I drink a 3 cup size hot green tea with honey or
sugar. That helps. Chew gum. Brush your teeth. Get away from the food. Try
4 smaller meals a day so it is time to eat again sooner. Sleep more. Thats
one I have to work on.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yeah! I spend a lot of time on the computer too. I need to stop doing it
late at night and go to bed. My plan is to get more sleep. My Fit bit is
showing me how much I need to change that. You can connect with others when
you get the time.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the tips. Daily accountability works for me to keep me on track. Thanks for sharing everyone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I eat oatmeal Canada, it seems to expand in your stomach and ward away cravings, at least for me 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm up for joining this one.

Not exactly that interested in Mothers day but still it's a good target date.

Question, How do you possibly get anywhere near 10,000 steps a day?

I walked 4 miles on Thursday and it only took me to 7,500 steps?

Maybe I have to take smaller steps Smiley LOL

Will be running shortly.

SW: 216

CW: 204

GW: 181

Best Answer
0 Votes
10,000 steps is about 5 miles give or take

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess that makes sense then.

Walking 10,000 takes a long time though! No idea how most people would fit it in.

Much easier to run it. Roll on my knee (post ACL op) getting better 🙂

Best Answer
You can walk in place during commercials or on the phone, put laundry away one category at a time...all the socks, then shirts, hula hoop, take your phone outside and walk around taking pictures of things.

I figure the walking is just general health and happiness, then you need to workout...walk faster, run, lift weights, dance etc

SC

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Break it in to 2 or more sessions per day
Best Answer
0 Votes

Day 4- Thanks for all the tips.  I added protein powder to my smoothie and I'm trying to drink more liquids to stay full longer.  Let's keep trying to hit our 10 000 steps!

Best Answer
0 Votes
I would love to join! Is there a certain place to sign up?
Best Answer
0 Votes

thanks ladies! Enjoying the tips.

Best Answer
0 Votes

HOW IS EVERYONE DOING?

Day 4- confession. I ate all my calories by 5 pm. Yes, one of those days at work!

Now, finally home and only have 2566 steps so I am heading down to the treadmill to watch my favourite series on NETFLIX and walk my way to hopefully another 7000+ steps.

Good luck everyone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

LOL I always eat all my food by 5pm. 7000 steps is really good, working out keeps you away from food and burns some extra calories to boot. I wish I had a treadmill! Though I live in a 1 BR condominium. I have one of those cheap sub $200 elliptical that worked great for the first month then it broke, they sent me a replacement part and I fixed it, but now it squeaks unmercifully! You get what you pay for I guess. Good luck to you! It's hard I know, lets try together 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would like to join this group challenge.  I need to loose 30 lbs and agree that 20 is a good start.  

Best Answer
0 Votes