Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you following a program, or doing your "own thing"?

Diets Don't Work, so they say..  I've dieted many, many times and always ended up gaining it back.  I've tried cutting down and mindful eating (vs shoveling it in) - but unless I have some structure to follow I just don't do it.  I am picking up my exercise with my new fitbit, but can't overdo it because of bad knees.. I have a LOT to lose and find it hard to take baby steps.   I'm trying to change several habits at the same time.  I am succeeding with moving more, but not much else.  I do not need another failure to add to the long list of attempts.

What are you doing successfully?  Thanks!

Best Answer
253 REPLIES 253

I am doing my own thing; sort of.  I now eat smaller portions, have increased my fruits and vegetables.  I have eliminated all soda.  I have two cups of black coffee in the morning and then drink nothing but water.  When I go out to eat I get smaller portions or my wife and I will split something. I also increased my physical activity and am participating in Couch to 5k program.  We are finishing our forth week of an eight week program and I run my first 5k on 20 September.  

The majority of my weight gain has been over the past 18 months since I quit smoking.  I didn't gain the weight over night and it will take time to work it off.  I believe that it comes down to making a lifestyle change.  Make gradual changes - not everything at once.  The key is that whatever you choose to do be healthy, patient, and smart.

Best Answer
Wow, so enlightening and inspiring. ?Thank you guys for all of these postings.
Best Answer

I cut out 99% soda and slowed on the beer. Candy is my vice, especially chocolate. Ive found my biggest obstacle is portion control. Whew...especially pizza!! I can easily down 6 slices of pizza in one sitting. I have ot force myself to eat one at a time. I wait about 15-20 minutes between portions of whatever Im eating. I drink 1/2 gallon of water a day (with Hawaiin Punch drink mixes). I rarely ever exercise. I tried it, made a plan, got some equipment. Im just honest with myself, Im lazy. So I chose self-deprevation. Its hard to go to bed hungry, to drink flavored water all day. I WANT SUGAR!! I remind myself of the people of this world that are hungry also because of their situation, and that makes me thankful I can choose to be hungry. 

On the weekends, we all ride our motorcycles and have lunch somewhere. My lovely wife and I split our meal; portion control ya know. I drive a rig for a living and rarely do any more physical labor than the job requires.

I started 15 Feb at 232lbs, today (25 Aug) Im 209lbs. Just gotta stay focused and find ways that fit your personality and lifestyle. Good luck all.

Member of The Patriot Guard Riders.
Associated with The POW/MIA Foundation of Jacksonville.
Volunteer at City Mission Center – Jacksonville, FL
Best Answer

Sounds like what you are doing is working for you- You didn't put the weight on overnight so it wont come off like that. I appreciate your candor- Afraid to say that I too am lazy- So I walk- That is one reason I got  my fit bit so that I can realistically track how much I really walk vs what  I thought it was- You know  really 735 steps but to me it was 1 1/2 miles (LOL) I just want carbs that all.  Keep up the good work!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow good work- Shawn T-25 I have seen the commercials and they're  crazy.  Good idea that you try and change your eating habits by giving up one thing at a time. I know soda is an especially hard drink to quit.

I am working hard on kicking the candy and cake stuff it is getting easlier but man do I love the carbs. Thats a tough one.

I agree that once you start reading about nuitrion Its scary what sugar alone does to the body. Its scary how we all become slaves to some yummy thnig that is really just food-

Good luck...................

Best Answer
0 Votes

Congrats on losing 30 pounds!

I have been counting calories for 105 days. (I did not have my fitbit the entire time, so prior to that, I was writing it down.) I have eaten from 950 to 1050 a day. Being a woman and older, who can't walk too much, due to bad knee, I have still managed to lose from 1 to 1 1/2 pounds a week. Some weeks I don't lose any, and some weeks more than a pound. So I am stating my weight as a weekly average. I want to lose 15 more pounds and then maintain. I know getting closer to goal it gets harder. Those who have a lot to lose take it off faster in the beginning. However, the pound to a pound and a half seems to be the healthy way to do it. I would not eat any less calories. I take a miltivitamin every day, and I swim laps for exercise.

Best Answer
I'm doing a good journal on My Fitness Pal about 1200 calories or less. My goal is 10k steps daily and 5 miles a day. I will go weeks without losing weight, but I'm losing inches. Keep up the good work. I'm trying different exercises.. Palates has helped take away aches and pains. Spinning is a class I just started. Good luck ... Stick with taking care of yourself.
Best Answer

Greetings,

Thank you for your message. No I am not following a program, just eating
more fruits and veggies, with less meat. Started working a part-time job,
which includes LOL. not sitting down so much!

Conggrats on your weight loss as well.. Good luck!

"Cultural pluralism: it is the air we breathe; it is the ground we stand
on."

Ralph Ellison, Novelist

1914- 1994

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm leaning toward eating vegan.  Actually, I found I feel much better eating this way.  Recently tried the veganaise and was shocked at how much it tastes like mayo.  The plant based chicken is better in a wrap.  doTerra shakes allow me to be creative and keeps the calories down.  Being new to Fitbit (4 days now) I find I set a 10 lb goal for 30 days and am within 3.4 lbs.  Fitbit has made it fun to keep a food diary, whereas, in the past it was a major chore.  Anyone care to trade vegan recipes or ideas are encouraged here.  Thanks.

Best Answer
How did you get started?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I started dieting ....  oops sorry....  changine my eating habits when I joined a healthy eating program sponsored by a hospital program in a nearby city.  The cost was $150 for the 10 week program which included dietitians, physical therapist, nutritionist, and, and, and,  We were give LOTS of info including diaries.  

After a few weeks of "reprogramming", I became committed to eating better.  I started feeling better and after 40 lbs lost, looking better.  One online program I started using early was Myfitnesspal.com to track all foods and weights rather than a paper diary. A few months later I purchased the Fitbit which integrates with that online program.  It has been 6 months and have lost 40+ with almost 60 to go.

LOL...  having to purchase a brand new wordrobe has been exciting and motivating.  Good luck. 

Best Answer

I have been on My Fitness Pal  (MFP)  tracking calories for a month.     No need to do that anymore.

Now that I have a Fitbit and I have figured out its food tracking diary I much prefer it over MFP.  It is a little confusing at first  but you just have to presevere to figure out all the settings.  

MFP claim to fame is its huge data base of food  but I have found every thing I want here and it is much easier to  look something up.      Also easier to plug in your own food that you eat all the time and favorite it.     The overall look of the diary is also better with Fitbit as are the other weight loss graphics. 

I also like having everything on one site  and how Fitbit ties it all together so well.   

With that said my plan is to count calories.    From eating out constantly I have gone to cooking more at home.   Really delicious meals but monitor portion size.   Also eat  fast food like a Burger King Whopper Jr.    or whatever else I want.   Just count the calories and no feelings of deprivation. 

Also for me,   I don't eat breakfast.    I am up very late and I need the calories later so that I don't binge in the evening or before I go to bed.     Many people have to have breakfast--I do much better and lose weight better eating my calories later.  

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/10/myths-surround-breakfast-and-weight/?_r=0

Good luck with whatever plan you choose--just make sure you can do it forever.   I have been on so many expensive diet programs and always gain it back.   I never learned that I needed to  follow their transitions to  regular, normal eating. 

Best Answer
I like to say I am following, but I have been cheating too. Will get back on track. Added green smoothies but they seem to have a lot of calories after adding the fruit which makes them sweeter and better tasting. When it’s cold, I don’t like having a smoothie for breakfast. Prefer something hot and having the smoothie for lunch. All that said, I need to stop cheating.
Best Answer

I have been doing Plexus for 9 months tomorrow. I have lost 65 lbs, 46.5 inches and 6 sizes.  And to think I started Plexus so I could sleep (suffered with insomnia as a result of my fibromyalgia).  I just purchased my fitbit flex saturday and am still learning all the little features in it.

Best Answer

Berries, like blueberries are 60 a cup so with greens that are only 20 cals for 2 cups of power greens and water. That's 80 calories of healthy food not many calories.

Barbara 

But who are you cheating and why?

You can stick to your goals.

Barb

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

Good vegan recipes at drfuhrman.com. 

best in health to you,

Barbara 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Browsing through the forums, I see a lot of excuses and overly complication on the subject of weight loss. Weight loss is very simple calories in calories out. Food is food, calories are calories. I assume many on this forum are what we call yo yo dieters, set untainable and fad diets up that are impossible to follow over the long term. The Secret to weight loss, a pound of fat is 3500 calories so loose or take a pound a fat a week you need to be in a deficiet of 3500 calories for the week, deficiet meaning burning 3500 calories more than you consume. Your primary source of exercise should not be a cardio bunny that is a short term burner of calories and most people cant sustain long bouts of Cardio.

The Perfect weight loss plan is very simple, find your average daily expedature of calories and eat 300 below that. The higher your fat percentage the more you can cut without dentrament to ones physical health. You actually dont even need to go to the Gym, and dont need cardio. Most weighlifters dont even do cardio, they use there diet as the sole way to manipulate there fat levels. 

Setting unrealistic weight loss goals in the short term is what leads back to the weight gain. AKA I have 30lbs to loose I want to loose it in the next two months. Can you loose 30lbs in the next two months sure, just starve yourself and hop on the cardio machines and you will loose fat and Muscle and ultimatly become skinny fat. Slow steady calorie deficiet with weighlifting thrown in the mix, at the very minimun your going to perserve your muscle and loose fat, and leave feeling satified at the end of the day.

To anwser the question on the orignal post I follow a weightlifting program called 5-3-1 Big But Boring

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10200281178909251&l=8969318629955567711

Technique Squat working on depth on this one, 300lbs max is about 365lbs

Best Answer
Easier said than done
Best Answer
0 Votes

Remember if you want it bad enough you will make it happen, I was 260lbs at a little over 5ft9In and had every excuse in the book. You have to be obsessed with improving, people like to call out obsesed as a negative. Obsession is for the strong and negative term used be people who dont have the work ethic or the foritude to complete the task themselves, its a feel good word for the lazy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Ccl33 wrote:
Easier said than done

What that is Easy is worthwhile. Overeating is easy, but does it give you the desired health effects?

Best Answer
0 Votes