Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you following a program, or doing your "own thing"?

Diets Don't Work, so they say..  I've dieted many, many times and always ended up gaining it back.  I've tried cutting down and mindful eating (vs shoveling it in) - but unless I have some structure to follow I just don't do it.  I am picking up my exercise with my new fitbit, but can't overdo it because of bad knees.. I have a LOT to lose and find it hard to take baby steps.   I'm trying to change several habits at the same time.  I am succeeding with moving more, but not much else.  I do not need another failure to add to the long list of attempts.

What are you doing successfully?  Thanks!

Best Answer
253 REPLIES 253

Back in late October 2013, I weighed over 300 lbs.  Then my doctor diagnosed me with Type II Diabetes.  I'm 5'9" and 57 years old (back in Nov.  Now I'm 58).

He introduced me to a nutritionist, I set up a dietary excel spread sheet based upon the daily nutritional requirements the nutritionist gave me.  I've was suprised at the number of things I could eat and still stay within those requirements.  I've created a list of foods, weights of that food, and nutritional info for each so that each day I can record what I eat and keep stats/metrics on how I'm doing over time.  Purchased a nice electronic weight scale so I could record the weights and thereby derive what the nutritional values were.

I began exercising in earnest in December 2013.  I created an exercise spreadsheet and a weight loss spreadsheet.  At first, I couldn't even go up a flight of stairs without getting winded.  I had to sit down and relax when grocery shopping.

Today, I'm up to almost 30 miles a week and am at 202.5 lbs. 

I have had to give up some very cherished foods like pizza, most pastas, ice cream and malts, and candy (the reason I got to be so heavy).  I find I really hate those types of commercials on TV.

But, I did this without Jenny Craig, Nutrisystsem, or Weight Watchers.  I've had the love and support from a great wife which has helped me immensely. You could say I'm OCD, but I realized that I wanted to see our girls grow up and have careers and get married.  I also wanted to be here for my wife.  And most importantly, I want to be here for myself and to be healthy.  It has taken severe mental discipline to overcome "desires" of the flesh to relent and wrap my lips around a slice of pizza, but now it's pretty much a burned in practice and discipline I have. 

It's nice to be able to "go shopping" in our own closet.  Resdiscovering smaller sizes (thank God I'm a packrat) that I can now wear, again.

I'm writing this not to seek kudos for doing what I should have never had to do, but rather so that all of you out there who are figthing the fight against being overweight will take some measure of comfort that you are going to get there and that you just have to perservere.

Lew Wagner

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer

Even though you are not seeking kudos, you definitely deserve someSmiley Very Happy

This is a great and motivating stroy, Lew

Best Answer

YOU ROCK!!!!  You are motivated for all the right reasons and I only wish to have some of the strength you have displayed!  Thanks for the inspiration!

Best Answer

I wish I had been motivated a long time ago to avoid being in this sad state of affairs.  Long before I developed Type II Diabetes.

As for motiviation, take a selfie of you now (or use one when you were at your largest size) and then every 10 pounds, take another picture (front, back, sides) to compare how far you've come in your program.

And yes, you do have to be a bit psychopatic when it comes to food and exercise.

I love the ad from Nike - "Just Do It"

No whining, no complaining, just endure the pain and the stomach cramps until they go away.

Lew Wagner
Best Answer

Lew, thank YOU for sharing your experience.  You've inspired & encouraged all of us to keep at it and not give up!   It's not easy, but the benefits keep coming if we keep steppin' with our FitBits 🙂  Happy Father's Day with your family, and hopefully this new you will enjoy many more!   ADM

ADM
Best Answer

Now thats what I am  trying to do- I have stopped the sweets alltogether and trying to substitute nuts instead. I know fat but its a good fat and filling dot have to eat as much.  Trying to walk every day for my 10,000 steps. aLSO trying to add more salads and fruits. Baby steps changing what I can  that I can stick too.  Trying to not set myself up for failure. Cake,candy, donuts are really gettig easy to turn down YIPPPPEEEE.......................

Best Answer

That's interesting. Do you know why going gluten free and dairy free helped your chemical inbalance?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just read your post and I am interested if you have found a way to sync the WW info to thefitbit or vice versa.

Best Answer
0 Votes
?I was trying to sync fitness pal with fitbit.? No, I did not figure it out.
?
?

Valerie McMichael
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am sort of doing my own thing, with help from Atkins and a very low carb, high protein type plan. I have three little kids, and my husband is doing the same plan, so keeping food in the house is tricky and expensive. So far, the scale is not doing much but making me mad, but I am seeing a difference in body shape.

Just have to refrain from tossing the scale out the window. Smiley Wink

Best Answer

Well, it's been about a week since I first posted here.  Like reading a lot of the inputs here.  I'm now under 200 lbs for the first time in 15 years.  In 7 1/2 months (from 300 to 198). 

It's weird.  I had to rediscover how to walk without all this fat on my legs and body.  I now have enough energy and pep to put spring in my step and begin jogging vs. fast walking (for fear I would drag a toe and go sprawling).

I'm dealing now with flabby skin that isn't retracting as I lose fat and exercise.  Most insurance companies will not pay for plastic surgery unless there is a health issue (like continuous record of yeast infections).  I can hear the flabby skin flapping against my legs as I jog now.  May have to invest in some sort of sports "spanks" midriff thingie to at least hold that skin still. Anyone know of such "girdles?"

Lew Wagner
Best Answer

To anyone out there who thinks they "can't do this," take heart from this graph of my weight loss.  If a 58 year old fat bald guy with MS and Type II Diabetes can do this, then what's really stopping you...

LW Weight Loss.jpg

Lew Wagner
Best Answer

I learned the hard way (after several failed weight loss campaigns over the years) that dieting without exercise if not good.  Sounds like you have a very supportive husband so make it a game that both of you don't watch TV and sit.  Rather, get out with your kids and go hiking through a park, or just around your neighborhood (if it's a safe neighborhood to walk around), or something else as long as it's active.  I remember this campaign I'm on, that I couldn't even walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded (300 lbs + back in Oct 2013).  Now, I'm 198 and starting to jog most of the way through my former 2.03 mile walk.  I eat as long as I stay within nutritional guidelines set nationally and given to me by a nutritionist.

Calories a day   2000

Fat 65

Cholesterol 300

Sodium  2400

Carbohydrates  150

Fiber   25

Sugar    90

Protein  50

The one I can't meet is the protein.  Guess I'm a James Garner beef sort of guy, but I do eat smaller portions than I used to.  3-5 ozs vs. 16 ozs...I eat a lot of fish and chicken thighs grilled on a BBQ.

Good luck and don't get frustrated at your weight scale...get angry at yourself and use that emotion and drive to "just do it" (i.e., exercise)

Lew Wagner
Best Answer

I do my own thing, but I'll admit I've incorporated some of the ideas I have found in some diet regimens, such as Atkins and South Beach.  I'm a Type 2 diabetic, which made it a little more difficult to lose after the initial 40 pounds loss.  I have seen nutritionists -- who always want me to eat more carbs than my body tolerates well -- and I've bought books and I've eaten specialty products.  Nothing kept it off more than a year or two. 

Nowadays, what is working for me is logging everything I eat -- I sit down and plan my entire day every morning when I get up, before I get ready for work -- and exercise.  I'm not tall, or young, so my calorie limits are pretty restrictive, but I never, ever go below 1200 calories a day.  I try to eat a broad range of foods, and try to incorporate fresh vegetable and lean meats, poultry and fish in every day.  I'm a low carb eater because of the diabetes, but not an extreme low-carb eater.  I shoot for 130-150 grams of carbohydrate a day.  I'm a big baby when it comes to feeling hungry, so I have six small meals a day.  This way of eating -- I don't use the word "diet" (which is just "die" with a "t" on it) because those are things that you start, then go off.  I am diabetic for my entire life.  I need a way to eat for my entire life. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am following the Tone It Up Nutrition Plan and suggested workout.  I love it - have been doing it since Feb and have lost 19.8 lbs.

Spoiler

Best Answer

@LewWagner wrote:

Back in late October 2013, I weighed over 300 lbs.  Then my doctor diagnosed me with Type II Diabetes.  I'm 5'9" and 57 years old (back in Nov.  Now I'm 58).

He introduced me to a nutritionist, I set up a dietary excel spread sheet based upon the daily nutritional requirements the nutritionist gave me.  I've was suprised at the number of things I could eat and still stay within those requirements.  I've created a list of foods, weights of that food, and nutritional info for each so that each day I can record what I eat and keep stats/metrics on how I'm doing over time.  Purchased a nice electronic weight scale so I could record the weights and thereby derive what the nutritional values were.

I began exercising in earnest in December 2013.  I created an exercise spreadsheet and a weight loss spreadsheet.  At first, I couldn't even go up a flight of stairs without getting winded.  I had to sit down and relax when grocery shopping.

Today, I'm up to almost 30 miles a week and am at 202.5 lbs. 

I have had to give up some very cherished foods like pizza, most pastas, ice cream and malts, and candy (the reason I got to be so heavy).  I find I really hate those types of commercials on TV.

But, I did this without Jenny Craig, Nutrisystsem, or Weight Watchers.  I've had the love and support from a great wife which has helped me immensely. You could say I'm OCD, but I realized that I wanted to see our girls grow up and have careers and get married.  I also wanted to be here for my wife.  And most importantly, I want to be here for myself and to be healthy.  It has taken severe mental discipline to overcome "desires" of the flesh to relent and wrap my lips around a slice of pizza, but now it's pretty much a burned in practice and discipline I have. 

It's nice to be able to "go shopping" in our own closet.  Resdiscovering smaller sizes (thank God I'm a packrat) that I can now wear, again.

I'm writing this not to seek kudos for doing what I should have never had to do, but rather so that all of you out there who are figthing the fight against being overweight will take some measure of comfort that you are going to get there and that you just have to perservere.

Lew Wagner

I'm not convinced that being a little OCD it a bad thing when you're controlling for diabetes and trying to lose weight. 😉

Best Answer

I started with MyFitnessPal on smartphone 2 years ago and have lost 50+ lbs but have oscillated for about 6 months.  We bought an elliptical so it is in the basement and no excuse.not to use it 3-4 days/week.

About 1 month ago I bought a Fitbit and recently an Aria scale and tested it this AM.

I am 75 years old and still overweight but working on it.

jb9444

Best Answer

I started to march in place in all commercials, on top of my regular walks, and in a week lost six pounds. (I've been at this a while so it is not water weight)....so that may be something to add to what you are doing. 

Best Answer
My Wife and I are doing our own thing w MyFitnessPal and now w Fitbit

Breakfast Oatmeal w fruit and yogurt or cantaloupe w blueberries and/or strawberries and yogurt

Lt lunch such as Chick Filet chic soup
Or salad w lite dressing or share baked potato, salad at Wendy's

Dinner Salad w canned salmon
Coffee or tea at all meals. Lots of water

Some days have SMALL dessert

Nuts or air popped popcorn snacks

Very little bread and very little ice cream (which I love)

Enough?
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Every little bit helps and adds up!!!!?

Valerie McMichael
Best Answer