Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you following a program, or doing your "own thing"?

Diets Don't Work, so they say..  I've dieted many, many times and always ended up gaining it back.  I've tried cutting down and mindful eating (vs shoveling it in) - but unless I have some structure to follow I just don't do it.  I am picking up my exercise with my new fitbit, but can't overdo it because of bad knees.. I have a LOT to lose and find it hard to take baby steps.   I'm trying to change several habits at the same time.  I am succeeding with moving more, but not much else.  I do not need another failure to add to the long list of attempts.

What are you doing successfully?  Thanks!

Best Answer
253 REPLIES 253

I'm 65 and purely combining fast walking with calorie control. I do 3-5 miles a day during the week and 5-7 miles on weekends.  I'm doing about 28-32 miles per week. Recently got pointed to the Army Physical Fitness Test that has a minimum standard for Men 62+ (also has for women) to do a 2.5 mile walk (in place of a 2 mile run). The minimum is 38:30. I've been focused on bettering that, and have gotten as low as 36:46 (I combine my Fitbit with Runkeeper to measure my miles and pace).  I've also been doing my 4 mile walks in under 1 hour.

Since March 23rd when my daughter bought me my Fitbit for my birthday, I've lost a total of 28 pounds and feel "almost" like I did 30 years ago when I was jogging 25-30 miles a week. I am almost always 1000 calories under "budget" and always burning at least 1000 calories more than I've eaten.

Best Answer

Four years ago I started a new concept of eating, not a diet.  I log everything I eat counting calories, fat grams, fiber and protien.  My cardiologist's nutritionalist set a goal of 1800 calories, 50 fat grams, 40 grams fiber and greater than 60 grams of protien daily.  I weighed everything I ate and used Calorie King web site to get the data to log.  I went from 225 to 165 pounds in about 10 months.  The "diet program" costs nothing but a lifestyle change.  I use the fitbit food log faithfully!  Eat smaller portions and weigh what you eat.  Low sodium V8 (8 oz) and eight almonds every meal.  I now vary between 175 and 180 pounds depending on how muc I go over my sustaining calorie needs.  I do splurge, but then get back on the plan so I can get back to where I want to be.  I do track my food intake every day no matter what.  Don't pay for any plan to loose weight.  Make the decision to change your lifestyle of eating!

Best Answer

More:

I eat five time a day with the following calorie limits:

- Breakfast at 350 calories 

- Midmorning snack at 150 to 200 calories

- Lunch at 500 calories 

- Afternoon snack at 150 to 200 calories

- Dinner at 600 calories.

Cut out all wine and other drinks as well as sweets until you get to your goal.  Then you can introduce them to maintain your sustaining calorie count and the weight you want.

if you want me to send you the fod log spread sheet I used when I started the plan before I got into fitbit for the food log.

I don't get cravings between meals.  

Moderator edit: Removed personal information.

Best Answer

@algnemes1 wrote:

More:

I eat five time a day with the following calorie limits:

- Breakfast at 350 calories 

- Midmorning snack at 150 to 200 calories

- Lunch at 500 calories 

- Afternoon snack at 150 to 200 calories

- Dinner at 600 calories.

Cut out all wine and other drinks as well as sweets until you get to your goal.  Then you can introduce them to maintain your sustaining calorie count and the weight you want.

if you want me to send you the fod log spread sheet I used when I started the plan before I got into fitbit for the food log.

I don't get cravings between meals.  

I don't want to be deprived of foods I like to eat, including the occasional glass of wine.  Any diet that restricts the foods that I like is not sustainable for me.   I'm happy this works for you, and I wish you well, but what happens when you stop eating this way?   I have a strong aversion to dieting as a result of yo-yo dieting for years that wrecked my metabolism. 

Moderator edit: Removed personal information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Right now I am doing my own thing. I do not have a defined weight loss program, I don't follow any diet books or plans. I don't subscribe to any magazines or pay money for a personal trainer. Right now I use a mixture of the Fitbit, My Fitness Pal, and tips from Dr. Oz for weight loss. I have just started on my weight loss journey and I still have a long way to go. But I don't feel I need to use a program right away.

Best Answer
0 Votes
We used MyFitnessPal and some exercises for the first 50lbs that I lost in
20 months. Unfortunately, I started eating more by going to a wedding over
a long week and going on a cruise. It took awhile, but I got back on it
with my Wife's help. We bought an elliptical and use it 3 to 4 times per
week.

I now have a fitbit flex and just bought an Aria scale.

When I lose another 9 lbs, I will weigh what I did in the mid 60's and look
forward to that day.

I an 75 years young and have always been fairly active.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi I've tried every diet in the book , diets don't work they may for a while then you gain and them some !! but Xmas 2012 I got an iPad and was searching diets and came across a Virtual Gastric band app I have to say I was pretty sceptical losing weight listening to an app but the reviews were fab so I downloaded the app £4.99 cheaper than WW SS and all the rest and by July 2013 I lost 3 stone I went from a 14/16 to an 8/10 and a year on I'm still a size 8/10 and 3 stone lighter it changes how we look at food and following the guidelines losing weight has never been easier and the key thing !!! It's not a diet . Here is a link for the App if anyone is interested read the reviews it also has the most fantastic Facebook support group

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/virtual-gastric-band-hypnosis/id504835984?mt=8
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't plan to stop eating this way.  I still eat all of the foods I like, but in smaller portions and watching total calories and fat grams.  You have to make an eating lifestyle change.  The only thing I have not had since I started this eating concept is sodas/soft drinks.  When you go out to eat, cut everthing in half and take it home for another meal.  

Best Answer

I am 71 years old and weigh what I did when I got married 44 years ago.  We do cruises and many other events that do cause weight increases.  When I get home I go back to following the plan very closely and get back to where I want to.

Best Answer

@algnemes1 wrote:

I don't plan to stop eating this way.  I still eat all of the foods I like, but in smaller portions and watching total calories and fat grams.  You have to make an eating lifestyle change.  The only thing I have not had since I started this eating concept is sodas/soft drinks.  When you go out to eat, cut everthing in half and take it home for another meal.  

But you advised cutting out certain things until weight was reached....

I absolutely agree with adopting a lifestyle change.  I've never been a huge fan of carbonated or sweet beverages -- gave up sugar in my coffee and tea many years ago and found that I enjoyed those drinks even more -- but I don't want to give up my occasional glass of wine, and I see no reason to do so.  If I plan those calories as carefully as I plan my foods, I can still enjoy the wine -- in moderation, of course -- without feeling that I'm cheating on a "diet".  This is why I never tell people what to eat, or not eat.  It has to be an eating plan that fits their own, individual lifestyles, not mine. 

Best Answer
Thanks for sharing.

?
Valerie McMichael
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there - I am a WW as well and have been at goal for over 20 years, have just found a few extra kg's I need to shed around 5kg would be good.  Jeans are always a tell tale sign hey!!!!  I have been back to 3 meetings now and am really encouraged.  Are you in Sydney??  

Sandra 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have loved having the Fitbit Flex.. it has helped me reach goals i never thought I could reach! I have lost over 100lbs in the last 2 years and 40lbs of that was because I was stictly dieting and exercising and then I just came to a HAULT! I then heard about this Pink Drink called Plexus that you can drink just once per day without having to take a bunch of supplements or meal replacements or starve myself and finally I had found something that could "HELP" me get to my goals.. I've lost an additianal 60lbs since being on Plexus and couldn't be happier. Plexus doesn't just help you lose weight it's so much more than that. I sleep better at night, feel energetic all throughout the day and have no trouble eating smaller portions. Plexus helps to keep blood sugars and lipids at a healthy level. Just one drink per day and i'm done!   I'm so thankful to have found Plexus and then now using my Fitbit it makes me more motivated to get up and move to continue my weight loss journey.. Plexus has changed my life b/c it makes losing weight and getting healthy so much easier!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am doing the WW thing and it is working for me.  

Best Answer

Hi Dipgal,

Baby steps! Excellent. Let's conquer the weight task by task. You have a fitbit. You have tried lifestyle changes. All steps in the right direction. Remember the 80/20 or 70/30 rule. Depending on what research you read, this figure will vary. It's 80% food intake and 20% exercise. Cardio exercise is only a part of the 20% equation. Consider weights as well. I'm not saying feather weights nor am I saying extreme weights either. Consider working around 8-10 reps, 3-4 sets at 80% of YOUR maximum lift. Not the person along side of you but YOUR maximum lift. This is unique to you only. You will know when you're cheating yourself.

In regards to the food lifestyle (as you said you have tried before); if you have food delivered or packaged for you in the short term is OK. However, you will not learn to feed yourself and therefore there is no lifestyle change and the weight comes back with vengence and seems to be harder to lose the next time.

Kawi

Best Answer
As of today I am 54lbs down in the last 28 months. I agree it is food intake @ 80% and exercise @ 20%. We my wife and I eat many more veggies and fruit. Very little bread white rice pasta and red meat. We eat a lot of homemade chick breast soup for one meal. We also have a high protein shake for a meal. We bought an elliptical and use 4-5 times a week and try to walk 8-10000 steps per day
We are in mid 70's and I no longer take meds for cholesterol and BP. Doc said I was pre diabetic but no more
We eat old fashioned oatmeal for breakfast w Greek yogurt blue berries strawberries and other fresh fruit
Less than 1/2 cup skim milk and of course coffee
It is much easier to keep at it when there is two of us on this life style change. In 10 more lbs I will weigh what I weighed in mid 1960's

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I just started back using My Fitness Pal. I always think I can do this without calorie counting and I end up gaining/losing the same couple of lbs over and over again.

I am a stay at home mom and I live in a fairly rural area. There are many days I don't leave the house, cost of gas to go anywhere and things need to get done at home (also take 6 credits online finishing a degree). So 10,000 steps is really a stretch I have to work for!

Feel free to add me as a friend on here or on My Fitness Pal (JenniferOBX5).

Best Answer

Hi JB and your significant other,

Well done on your achievement. Lets us know when you do away with the last 10lbs. You are both inspirational

Kawi

Best Answer
0 Votes

My aerobic walking and calorie controlled eating continue to shed the weight. As of this morning, I'm at 220.5 lbs, down from 253 when I started FitBit on March 23rd. I walked 3.17 miles this morning in 46:30 (14:41/mile). This "thing" is very individual. Some people can deal with calorie counting and portion control ("me") combined with exercise ("me") and others need a program of some type.

I use my Fitbit as a guide to ensure that I reach the minimum of 10K steps daily (every day but 3 since April 24th). I work so I do my walking after I get home and my wife has adjusted dinner times to fit my "workout," and sometimes in the morning.  Through this morning, I have walked just under 44 miles this month and lost 3.2 pounds.  To me, the key is that I've burned almost 11,000 calories more than I've consumed (FitBit estimates).  And yes, I log all of my food and intake.

I am 65 and live in South Texas where the temps are high and the humidity is low 🙂

Best Answer

I just recently started using Hitch Fit, which is a gym here in Kansas City. I work with a trainer 1-1 and they also give me cardio goals for the days I'm not with them, and a personalized nutrition plan. They specialize in "transformations" and teaching you how to change your lifestyle, not just going on a "diet". They also have online training(they give you what work outs to do on what days) and nutrition plans. The in person is more expensive but I need to be checking in with someone to keep me accountable. So far I love it. Check them out. Hitchfit.com 

Best Answer