Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you following a program, or doing your "own thing"?

Diets Don't Work, so they say..  I've dieted many, many times and always ended up gaining it back.  I've tried cutting down and mindful eating (vs shoveling it in) - but unless I have some structure to follow I just don't do it.  I am picking up my exercise with my new fitbit, but can't overdo it because of bad knees.. I have a LOT to lose and find it hard to take baby steps.   I'm trying to change several habits at the same time.  I am succeeding with moving more, but not much else.  I do not need another failure to add to the long list of attempts.

What are you doing successfully?  Thanks!

Best Answer
253 REPLIES 253

Hi I just started back too- you can add me as your friendif you like  Cindy   camrrt@yahoo.com

Best Answer
0 Votes

I need to lose about 80 pounds and I know myself well enough I defintely need to follow a strict plan or else I will become demotivated and I will backslide big time! I have acute pancreatitus that will flare up when I eat the wrong things.

That all being said as kind of an introduction, I am using Herballife. I do the shakes for breakfast and dinner, a healthy lunch and snacks. I also keep my FitBit on me to keep me motivated to move as much as possible (I always hit 10k, on work days I go over!). For working out at the moment I am using the Just Dance games for the Wii.  Dancing has always been something I really enjoy so I have no problem hopping out of bed first thing in the morning to work out! 

I am in my 2nd week and haven't strayed off plan, I work out daily, my water intake is WAY up, I cut soda (my next biggest addiction after food, lol), and I am down 5 pounds as of Monday (I weigh in at my Herballife club every Monday for extra incentive to do well!).

No matter what plan you use, good luck to everyone!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello,
I have 100 lbs remaining to lose. I've lost 22 lbs. I have hypothyroid; which makes it harder to lose weight. It's a major struggle. I track my food through My Fitness Pal. I do a 1200 calorie and keep my carbs down. I researched what food is good for my metabolism than focus on them. To motivate me is to get healthy. I can't cure hypothyroid but I can get healthy. Doctor says I'm pre- diabetic, so I looked into diabetic friendly recipes.
I guess what I'm trying to say to you is research your health problem. Find out what's best to eat and focus on the best foods for your health. Keep on walking and try a dance class. I tried Zumba....wow..it kicked my weight loss into gear. I liked boxing too. I love to walk, but sometimes you need more.
Hope this helps. I'd you need to chat....I'll chat with you. I'm searching and struggling, but I'm losing weight and inches.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Doing my own thing! I've reduced the amount of carbs I have, but not enough to dip into a keto or paleo diet. I meal plan obsessively and have a full drawer at work of emergency meals incase I don't have a lunch of the day. I work out in the mornings or do an outdoor activity at night (sometimes both!)

I'm down 20 lbs in about 3.5 months and recieved my FitBit One yesterday! Very excited to see how this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Great weight loss! We're the same....it's a struggle to lose. But I'm losing weight. I measure and weigh in every Tuesday. I've lost over three inches in my neck and four inches from my waist. I'm down a size. I love that a bit more than the scale. Hang in there.
Best Answer
0 Votes
I wish i had the money to hire a personal trainer and nutritionist for me. But i dont. So i usually do my own thing when it comes to workouts and eating. I too can never stick with eating healthy all the time. Ive tried to and i always fail after x amount of times. Now im just trying to be more mindful about what i eat and im trying to make my goals more realistic and smaller. To date i have lost ten pounds. But i binged today and probably gained wieght. Its so hard doing it on your own. This is why i love the fitbit community cuz to some extent i am not alone. And i know that many people are having some of the same struggles i face. For me, i feel like it all comes down to self motivation, and will power. These are the two things that i need to work on most. Best of luck to all of you and your fitness goals: )
Best Answer
0 Votes

@FatalStephy wrote:
I wish i had the money to hire a personal trainer and nutritionist for me. But i dont. So i usually do my own thing when it comes to workouts and eating. I too can never stick with eating healthy all the time. Ive tried to and i always fail after x amount of times. Now im just trying to be more mindful about what i eat and im trying to make my goals more realistic and smaller. To date i have lost ten pounds. But i binged today and probably gained wieght. Its so hard doing it on your own. This is why i love the fitbit community cuz to some extent i am not alone. And i know that many people are having some of the same struggles i face. For me, i feel like it all comes down to self motivation, and will power. These are the two things that i need to work on most. Best of luck to all of you and your fitness goals: )

I think we are all stronger than we even know, and you can do this.  You don't need a trainer and all I got out of it is was poorer. 😉  This is something that we can do on our own, and most of us have.  I use an exercise bike that's free in the community where I live, and other days, I do brisk walking at the mall or around the neighborhood when it's cooler.  The trick that I found after years of trying diets is to eat a well balanced menu, and build in "cheats" so that you don't feel deprived.  I eat around 1300 to 1400 calories a day, depending on activity, and I log everything -- even down to one or two almonds -- and I measure everything.  I tried eyeballing measures and I was really bad at it, so I weigh with a food scale and I measure with measuring cups to get how much I'm really eating.  And then I add in something sweet every day.  Sometimes it's only a few bites of something, like a half cupcake (with icing please) or a couple of bites of a candy bar, or maybe a mini cannoli from the cupcake shop at the mall -- but around 100-200 of my calories every day are for something that makes me happy.   The rest is for lean proteins, fresh fruit and fresh veggies.  Or even an indulgence like a mini-burger or a Subway sandwich.  As long as I know the calorie counts, I know how to deal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Greetings,

Understand not moving because of bad knees.  I used to be very active until my knees started hurting.  Volleyball. Baseball.  Racquetball. Jogging. Tore up those knees. 

Took me a long time to decide to get them replaced but...... .THAT WAS THE BEST THING I COULD DO.  Yes there was pain afterward. Yes there was therapy that hurt.  First knee replaced 2008.  Second replacement 2010.  NOW I line dance.  Walk up stairs. And can stand with NO PAIN for more than an hour.

Suggestion.  Don't wait.  Go to a Sports Medicine surgeon. Take your pain pills prior to therapy so you will not be in pain because you MUST bend, stretch, work out and build up those muscles.  

So far I've lost 40 lbs....  with a LOT more to go.

Good luck.  You will make it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am using Weight Watchers and I'm finding that I can eat lots of food and still lose weight.  I'm also using fitbit to encourage me to do plently of exercise too which all seems to be working.  With Weightwatchers the weight loss is steady but it isn't healthy or good for you to lose lots of weight too quickly.  I think of it as a new way of life and developing new eating habits.  It's not a diet it's a new way of eating (hopefully) forever!  Weightwatchers have some really interesting recipes and I've tried a few and they taste delicious.  The key for me is to set myself a goal and be totally focussed on it whilst trying to remember that it's a lifetime plan and not a race.  Easy to say but sometimes hard to remember.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

I put all my food into the Fitbit Log, and watch the calories. I LOVE that the more steps you do, the more calories you get to eat. Instant rewards! I start the day with a protein shake (Spirutein) and soy milk, and try not to leave more than 600 calories for dinner. I don't do much exercise beyond getting my 10,000 steps each day. I've lost 35 pounds in four and a half months. I was freaking out about having to count calories, but it's incredibly liberating! Usually I make sure I just eat healthily - if you're counting calories, it's pretty easy, because vegies have so few calories, and you can eat tons of them. Some nights, when I'm feeling a bit wild, I have Yonanas - banana and mango pure fruit ice cream with chopped chocolate on top:) I love counting calories! Easier than any other program I've been on, and I've done a few! 

Best Answer
Hello Carolyn,

"I put all my food into the Fitbit Log, and watch the calories. I LOVE that
the more steps you do, the more calories you get to eat. Instant rewards! I
start the day with a protein shake (Spirutein) and soy milk, and try not to
leave more than 600 calories for dinner. I don't do much exercise beyond
getting my 10,000 steps each day. I've lost 35 pounds in four and a half
months. I was freaking out about having to count calories, but it's
incredibly liberating! Usually I make sure I just eat healthily - if you're
counting calories, it's pretty easy, because vegies have so few calories,
and you can eat tons of them. Some nights, when I'm feeling a bit wild, I
have Yonanas - banana and mango pure fruit ice cream with chopped chocolate
on top I love counting calories! Easier than any other program I've been on,
and I've done a few!"

Wish I were as committed as you... LOL . 35 lbs in less than 5 months!
FANTASTIC

I do log all foods but............. LOL.. Sometimes I go overboard but doing
better. I have a Bowflex and a Treadmill, don't use either one.. Complex
where I live includes a free gym membership and I don't go.. Had been in
team sports most of life. amateur stuff, and now HATE to exercise by
myself. I recently started walking to take the trash out but.. since I
have asthma, the heat has stopped me.

Since reading your message, it has prompted me to use this Nutribullit and I
had been purchasing Whole fruit fruit bars and think I will do something
else. Looked at Yonannas but think I will get something where I can use
yogurt instead..

LOL.. I have been eating more veggies too... thank you very much!

Well gotta go.. Must do a little more homework before going to bed. Thanx
for writing and hope we continue.. How much more do you want to loose? Me?
Another 70 lbs. good luck.

Beverley Grim-Johnson

"Cultural pluralism: it is the air we breathe; it is the ground we stand
on."

Ralph Ellison, Novelist

1914- 1994
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't love counting calories, but it does seem to be the thing that works best.  Mostly, I'm just trying to be as healthy as I can be, and that means eating nutritious foods and exercise.  Not crazy about the exercise part, but truthfully, I feel so much better when I just do it.  Today, the last thing I wanted to do was go to the exercise room.  It's hot!  It's humid!  I just got off work, and I'm tired!  I haven't eaten yet, so I have no energy!  I can think of dozens of reasons not to go to that exercise room.  But I did it anyway.  My reward is that I burned a lot of calories and now I may just have something sweet for after dinner, and I won't feel guilty because I have already burned those calories. 🙂 

Maybe I'll try being less concerned about what that scale says and think more about how much more energy I have now. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Greetings!

"I am using Weight Watchers and I'm finding that I can eat lots of food and
still lose weight. I'm also using fitbit to encourage me to do plently of
exercise too which all seems to be working. With Weightwatchers the weight
loss is steady but it isn't healthy or good for you to lose lots of weight
too quickly. I think of it as a new way of life and developing new eating
habits. It's not a diet it's a new way of eating (hopefully) forever!
Weightwatchers have some really interesting recipes and I've tried a few and
they taste delicious. The key for me is to set myself a goal and be totally
focussed on it whilst trying to remember that it's a lifetime plan and not a
race. Easy to say but sometimes hard to remember.

No, I am not following a program, per se.. am also connected to
Myfitnesspal, which tracks your foods, weight & measurements (carbs,
protein, fats, salt, sugar, cholesterol). It is also integrated with fitbit
which transfers that info, while fitbit tracks exercise, sleep then it
transfers your exercise to Myfitnesspal which increases the number of
calories you are permitted to have. There is no set food plan and all is
free. I eat what I want but try to eat more healthy. Somedays I am really
"good", some not so good. I still eat Hersheys, Pizza hut, McDonalds, etc,
every once in a while but most restaurants have sooooooo much salt. I am
eating more healthy tho.

You are correct, I must be totally focused but.. LOL.. I am partially but
doing better. Will start my 15 minute walk in a few minutes.

Have a great day and continued good luck!

Beverley Grim-Johnson

on."

Ralph Ellison, Novelist

1914- 1994
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm doing my own thing overall with the help and advice of friends who have successfully lost a considerable amount of weight and adapting their strategies for my own.  I use the Flex to track daily activity (passive) and RunKeeper to track my exercises (active).  Since the end of January I've lost over 81 pounds and aiming for the century mark by my 40th birthday in September. 

If anyone is interested in the methodology I'm using:

1) Modified diet without starving myself.  (I'm not on a diet per se, just changed my eating lifestyle)
2) Daily active walk of 7-8 miles in the early AM
3) Krav Maga (martial arts) 3x's a week

4) Avoiding processed foods, eating lots of fruit in lieu of candy, no fast food, and more cooking at home

5) Finding things to do to stay off the couch (themed 5K's, trips, adventures, etc.)

My Story: http://tinyurl.com/nw93fqq

Friend away - let's keep that motivation!
Best Answer

FB_Opus,

I used to do Tae Kwon Do three nights a week for an hour followed by another hour of Muy Tai Kick Boxing.  I agree, martial arts can burn an incredible amount of calories in addition to building up your self-confidence.

During commercials, I'm going to do what I used to do a long time ago.  I will do situps and pushups each commercial time on TV so I can get some more "burn" in and get rid of some more of this remaining soft fluffy fat I still have left on the less used parts of my body.

I do agree very much with the home cooking ethic.  I compared what I used to eat at restaurants and what I eat now.  Wow!  Thousands of calories less....

Keep up the great work, FB and kudos to all your hard work!

Lew

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer
Hello LewWagner,

What the heck is a base runner?

Working inbetween TV programs.. Great idea. Might have to try that!

Here's hoping you lose that "baby fat".

thanx

Beverley Grim-Johnson

on."

Ralph Ellison, Novelist

1914- 1994
Best Answer

@grimln1 wrote:
Hello LewWagner,

What the heck is a base runner?
Working inbetween TV programs.. Great idea. Might have to try that!
Here's hoping you lose that "baby fat".
thanx

Beverley Grim-Johnson

on."
Ralph Ellison, Novelist
1914- 1994

Fitbit has a designation list of titles for how much a person contributes to this community (i.e., posting, starting up topics, voting, and providing solutions that others find valuable).  I recently was notified I'm now a "Runner".  Big whoop....I find I like this community because of people like you and others who share my diabetes burden but who are motivated to lose weight. 

Thanks for the well wishes on the impending doom of my baby fat...

Lew

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer
0 Votes

you do not look likely to need to lose baby fat  but well done on all the work you are doing.

I on the other hand have put on waight since my last child  mind you as he is 25  you can hardly call it baby fat. well at least I am now losing waight ( if slowly). going down instead of up. just walking more and cutting out the snacks 

Best Answer

For those of you that have not tried myfitnesspal.com it is worth the time. It is free and can be connected to FB which is great.  One thing I love about myfitnesspal is that has more food listed  and It has a section called reports where it will break down your food by fat,protein,carbs,iron,calcium ect... and the red line tells you where you should be. (it helps me make better choices so meet most of my daily requirements if not all).Just another tool to help you on your lifetime journey.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @LewWagner!  It's been a fun journey so far and one I plan on continuing!

My Story: http://tinyurl.com/nw93fqq

Friend away - let's keep that motivation!
Best Answer
0 Votes