Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't lose weight and trying hard

ANSWERED

I had Zumba class Thursday, Hula Hooping class Friday, rode my bike on Saturday, climbed stairs for 30 minutes on Sunday, counted calories all week and still can't lose weight.  

I'm so frustrated.  

Best Answer
131 REPLIES 131

What is your diet like and how are you working out? 

Diet is key to weight loss - this including healthy carbs - fats and proteins. An all protein diet can result to health issues such as kidney stones. You need carbs, fats and proteins which i believe some people misunderstand this. 

Best Answer

A low carb high fat diet recommends moderate protein, not high protein.  And it's a total myth that a LCHF diet damages the kidneys, providing your kidneys are healthy to begin with:

http://www.nmsociety.org/low-carb-myths.html

Dr. Eric Westman, of Duke University's Lifestyle Management Clinic, also dispels many LC myths in this podcast with Sam Feltham of Smash the Fat.  He addresses the kidney damage myth at the 14:45 minute mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-cl=84924572&x-yt-ts=1422411861&v=KT1JNWPVKXk

You can get plenty of carbohydrate/fiber from non-starchy vegetables, nuts and seeds.  And your liver can produce all the necessary glucose required by the brain through a process called gluconeogenesis.

As far as eating less than 1200 calories per day, especially if one is exercising at high levels, you increase your chances of osteoporosis and injury.  I've posted this link about these risks here on the forums before (and maybe even somewhere in this thread). 

http://skepchick.org/2014/02/the-female-athlete-triad-not-as-fun-as-it-sounds/

Please, please, please increase your caloric intake and give your body the nutrition that it requires to function properly.  This is an excellent resource to calculate the caloric needs of your body, while still allowing for weight loss, depending on your exercise levels:

http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

Best Answer

@KJScarp wrote:

A low carb high fat diet recommends moderate protein, not high protein.  And it's a total myth that a LCHF diet damages the kidneys, providing your kidneys are healthy to begin with:

My boyfriend was getting at least one kidney stone per year, and they were really quite large.  He ate very little protein.  What made a difference for him was cutting out sodas.  So he would agree with you - protein had nothing to do with it,

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
This may sound stupid but I loved coffee mate flavored creams... I was having the same trouble so I decided to measure how much coffee cream I was using here I was drinking 1200 calories before I left the house 😁😁😁. So I quit and am using stevia with almond milk
Best Answer

I usually drink plain green tea...nothing added..It's just maddening.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wouldn’t go more than 10 lbs., but that’ s me.

If you eat a lot of fruits – sugar.

Need to eat less fruits, but still eat blueberries, apple, an orange, grapefruit. Mix it.

Much less would be needed but you need to replace it with vegetables + proteins. Please eat proteins in every meal, you will thank me later.

Mix 15 gr of proteins + a lots of different color vegetables every meal. If you don’t eat any good fats, take omega 3-supplement everyday.

Training plus your diet should give you weight loss.

Let us know how it goes

Best Answer

https://www.consumerhealthdigest.com/weight-loss/pros-and-cons-of-high-protein-diet.html

** high protein diets can raise the chances of you hacing a cancer or heart disease. 

its not common because high protein diets should be consumed for short periods of time with cheat meals but for those who do back to back to back competitions without eating a regular meal. you are doing more harm to your body. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Effects of Reducing Carbohydrates

Consuming much protein can help you feel full quicker and stay full for a long time. Protein can somehow help fight off carbohydrate cravings that help control appetite and assists in the burning of calories in our bodies.

Limiting carbohydrates denies the body of easy and accessible source of energy, which then causes the breaking down of the body fat as an alternate source of energy. This manner brings about weight loss. Additionally, as compared to carbohydrates that are easily digested, the body utilizes more energy in breaking down protein, meaning while metabolism more calories are burned. This process of using fat as the source of energy instead of sugar is called ketosis

Ketosis is a process that results from the production of ketone bodies, which are known acidic. If there is a buildup of ketone bodies in the blood, particularly among diabetics, a possible grave condition known as ketoacidosis may happen. It is very vital to take plenty of water to lower the level of ketones in the blood. The different signs and symptoms of having ketoacidosis are nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, fruity-smelling breath, and deep and fast breathing.

Best Answer

Vegetables give enough carbs. Very easy to be absorb and used by human body.

If an individual is healthy, hi protein diet would have only one side effect, flatulence Smiley Happy

Best Answer

@I-train-hard wrote:

Please eat proteins in every meal, you will thank me later.

Mix 15 gr of proteins + a lots of different color vegetables every meal.

And that's the other thing people don't realize about protein.  Not only should you get enough, but it should be spread out over the course of the day for it to be the most helpful.  One big steak for dinner isn't going to do you as much good as that same amount of protein spread out over three meals.

And VARIETY!  I can't say enough about eating different kinds of meats and vegetables so you get a better selection of nutrients.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

@Jessrm_23 wrote:

This process of using fat as the source of energy instead of sugar is called ketosis.  Ketosis is a process that results from the production of ketone bodies, which are known acidic. If there is a buildup of ketone bodies in the blood, particularly among diabetics, a possible grave condition known as ketoacidosis may happen. It is very vital to take plenty of water to lower the level of ketones in the blood. The different signs and symptoms of having ketoacidosis are nausea, loss of appetite, vomiting, fruity-smelling breath, and deep and fast breathing.

The article quoted above isn't very clear regarding the difference between ketosis (a desired state) and ketoacidosis (a dangerous state, usually associated with diabetics who have uncontrolled blood sugars).  That article also fails to mention that the brain and the heart actually function better on ketones than on glucose, and is a desired state for those following a ketogenic diet.  There are even products on the market that specifically measure ketones:  Ketostix and Ketonix  - the stix measure ketones in the urine (less reliable), and the Ketonix (more reliable) is like a breathalzyer test that measures ketones in the breath.  Here is a great description of the difference between nutritional ketosis and ketoacidosis, written by Dr. Peter Attia (I highly recommend reading his blog, especially the lengthy, yet informative section on cholesterol and its lack of relation to cardiovascular disease):

"Why do we make ketones? For starters, it’s a vital evolutionary advantage.  Our brain can only function with glucose and ketones.  Since we can’t store more than about 24 hours worth of glucose, we would all die of hypoglycemia if ever forced to fast for more than 24 hours.  Fortunately, our liver can take fat and select amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) and turn them into ketones, first and foremost to feed our brains.  Hence, our body’s ability to produce ketones is required for basic survival."

"What is diabetic ketoacidosis? When a diabetic (usually a Type I diabetic, but sometimes this occurs in very late-stage, insulin-dependent, Type II diabetics) fails to receive enough insulin, they go into an effective state of starvation.  While they may have all the glucose in the world in their bloodstream, without insulin, they can’t get any into their cells.  Hence, they are effectively going into starvation.  The body does what it would do in anyone – it starts to make ketones out of fat and proteins.  Here’s the problem: the diabetic patient in this case can’t produce any insulin, so there is no feedback loop and they continue to produce more and more ketones without stopping.  By the time ketone levels (specifically, beta-hydroxybutyrate) approach 15 to 25 mM, the resulting pH imbalance leads to profound metabolic derangement and the patient is critically ill."

"But this state of metabolic derangement is not actually possible in a person who can produce insulin, even in small amounts.  The reason is that a feedback loop prevents the ketone level from getting high enough to cause the change in pH that leads to the cascade of bad problems.  A person who is said to be “keto-adapted,” or in a state of nutritional ketosis, generally has beta-hydroxybutyrate levels between about 0.5 and 3.0 mM.  This is far less than the levels required to cause harm through acid-base abnormalities."

"Keto-adaption is a state, achieved through significant reduction of carbohydrate intake (typically to less than 50 grams per day), where the body changes from relying on glycogen as its main source of energy to relying on fat.  Specifically, the brain shifts from being primarily dependent on glucose, to being primarily dependent on beta-hydroxybutyrate.  This has nothing to do with what a diabetic patient is experiencing in DKA, but does illustrate how poorly informed and quick to react the medical community is.   DKA and nutritional ketosis (or keto-adaptation) have as much in common as a house fire and a fireplace."

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/is-ketosis-dangerous

If anyone is interested in learning more about low carbohydrate diets, Drs. Phinney and Volek offer two books:  "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living", and for low carb athletes, "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance".

Someone upthread also mentioned a relationship to high protein diets and cancer.  Again, a low carb high fat diet is *not* considered a high protein diet.  In fact very low carbohydrate high fat diets (ketogenic) are being utilized as an adjunct to chemotherapy and radiation therapies, for therapeutic purposes.  I highly recommend watching this video by Dr. Colin Champ, that addresses the therapeutic effects of a ketogenic diet on cancer treatment.  Fascinating stuff:

"Dr. Champ is a board-certified radiation oncologist and assistant professor at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute and University of Pittsburgh Medical Center. He researches cancer treatment as well as diet and nutrition and has been invited to lecture on the topic around the country and world. He is one of the few physicians invited to present academic Oncology Grand Rounds as a resident, an honor usually reserved for experts after years or decades in the field. While only a resident, he published over 20 peer-reviewed articles, started a health and fitness website and company, and co-hosted a podcast that was top-ranked in the U.S., England, and Australia. He has been featured in the Boston Globe, The Gupta Guide with Sanjay Gupta, the National Cancer Institute at the National Institute of Health, and the American Society of Clinical Oncology newsletter, to name only a few. During his medical training, he created Cavemandoctor.com in an effort to simplify the complex aspects of evidence-based medicine for the common reader. The website quickly gained nearly three million readers. He is considered an energetic voice in the field of medicine as he adamantly emphasizes the benefits of a healthy lifestyle. Most importantly, he practices what he preaches by stressing a healthy diet and lifestyle for both his patients and himself."

"Unknown to many scientists and practicing physicians, there is nearly a century of data revealing the effect of diet on cancer diagnosis and treatment. More recently, preclinical and clinical data have been confirming this effect. Most notably, the potentiation of radiation therapy and chemotherapy via carbohydrate restriction and intermittent fasting is currently being assessed in clinical trials. Some data has even shown that it may reduce side effects of current cancer treatment. The potential metabolic treatment and management of cancer is an exciting new area in the field of oncology. This presentation will discuss the connection between cancer treatment and diet by highlighting both the historical data and Dr. Champ’s research in the field."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot96y5-D_K0

I'm currently 5.5 years on a LCHF diet, and my health markers have improved greatly.  Within a few months of starting the LCHF diet, my lipid profile improved to the point that my doctor had stopped pushing statins on me (not that I would *ever* take a statin, given the very dangerous side effects and the fact that it extends your life by a mere 3 days).  I know folks that have been following LCHF diets for 15 and 20 years, with no ill effects.

Best Answer

I have enrolled in an individualized diet study that was devised between King’s  college in London England and Massachusetts general hospital in Boston. It is a six month study (expensive) but I lave learned a lot about  my own personal response to various food elements.I am in the 4th month. It is very doable for me as I am retired and do my own cooking and shopping. It might be difficult to keep up the logging that is so helpful for me. I also have very few food allergies or food dislikes and am open about trying new things. It is the Zoe Plan, and I found it online. Dr. Tim Spector is one of the lead researchers. I do not know if it is suitable for anyone in particular , but I feel better when I eat according to this plan. Because it is expensive I am not advocating at all, just telling you this way of eating makes  me feel okay and my weight more manageable. I would compare it to a Mediterranean diet. Thanks for reading.

Best Answer
0 Votes