Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chats, Challenges & Laughs 2nd home

ANSWERED

For all my Chats, Challenges & Laughs peeps! Since we can't get on the threads I thought I would start a discussion area for us. We may not be able to keep track of points standings easily but we can still talk.

I miss you!

Best Answer
2,024 REPLIES 2,024

@Katrin I'm so sorry you have medical issues but glad you have found how great it is to switch your thinking to  things you are grateful for.  I was so depressed for so long after my husband died I just had to get myself out of that.  I discovered we can choose what we are going to think about and I really had to switch to things I was grateful for.   It is more distracting if you do it in order of importance.  I think my list applies to everyone who might read this.    I start with how grateful I am not to be a patient, and then that I pay taxes.  Paying taxes ....means I am not homeless and can afford electricity for refrigerated food,  heat and air conditioning and washer, dryer etc.   We are so lucky to have cars and fuel, phones.  Flush toilets are such a luxury since the majority on this planet have no toilets at all!!!!!  Can you imagine?  How wonderful that we have antibiotics and vaccines !!  How great that we have recorded music and so many cheap books available to everyone.   ....... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Glendayou are so right! We take so many things for granted. Lately, I've been considering water . . . it's necessary for our survival, it's one of our most precious resources and in most places, drinkable water is free or really cheap and it comes right into our homes - in my case, into 5 different rooms on 3 different levels plus also my garage. It's almost a miracle. I actually have 2 books I've already picked up on the economics of water because I find it fascinating!

Meanwhile, still waiting to hear from the doc and now I have pains on my left side where in my mind, I feel like kyleena is digging in. I'm positive it's all in my head now since I didn't feel them before but whatever . . .

Best Answer
0 Votes

You may have disregarded your side discomfort / pain, @Katrin , not knowing what it was and just figuring it was 'female' stuff, side stitch, whatever.  Hope Doc gets ahold of you soon.  Maybe an email to him in regards to tests might help.

Yes, @Glenda , so many things we take for granted.  We feel blessed to be retired and have enough money to get what we need without worry.  The simple things really are the best.

We are continuing to have early, early spring weather in the 50's and so today we took a walk around the field on our snowshoes.  A good workout and fresh air - all free 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tues - 4 pts

Monday night I ended up binging, after 9pm; just because I guess.  So, today I worked on brushing it off and getting my walk in.  Have thoughts of just finishing off the junk.  One moment at a time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I started a post yesterday but got kicked out so I quit for the day. I’ve been doing quite a bit of that (quitting) and today hit my heaviest weight ever at 267.2. Tracking was so easy on WW and I have had trouble going back to tracking calories instead of points, especially “free” foods that I now have to count. Today I have tracked my food and water on the Fitbit app. When I was wanting to eat mid-morning, I drank another 16 oz of water and the urge passed. 

My birthday is the end of March and I’m hoping that my daughters will give me a tracking device. If not, I’ll buy one for myself. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey, @ElaineJ27 , what kind of tracking device are you thinking of?  Do you no longer have a fitbit?  You keep re-going so please don't be too hard on yourself.  Maybe you want to re-join WW, but just digitally.  It's very low cost going that way and then you can do what has been successful to you in the past.  My birthday is the beginning of April (I'll be 61).  I'm not going to be where I thought I would, but that's OK.  We are alive and trying every. single. day.

So, last night was my second night of having an after 9pm binge.  Think it's because I had bought a dozen store bakery cut-out cookies.  They had just sugar; not icing so I thought they'd be better for me.  However, I think the sugar and white flour got my 'eat' on.  So, I've posted here and on the Lose-It facebook group for accountability and I'll just try and fight it tonight.

Went for a 41 minute hike into the woods and around the place.  Had my walking sticks which was good since my left knee hardly bends without pain.  The fresh air felt good before the storm that's suppose to hit tonight.  Praying that the worst of it misses us.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ladies,  I think we all need to make a very big effort to try harder to diet for THIRTY MINUTES inside the grocery store and not buy that high empty calorie stuff that we then have to try to eat little tiny portions of at home?????  And Candy !!!  What could I be thinking to bring any candy home.?  It is easier to diet at the store.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree @Glenda .  Bringing home certain items is just asking for disaster.  However, the latest high-calorie, low-value sweet delight was purchased by hubby while I sat in the car.  We were going to portion throughout the week and ended up finishing it off in less than 24 hrs.  I told him that that could be my early birthday cake so now I don't have to worry about being responsible then.

The last snow storm did a number on my walking options.  I'm hoping by tomorrow I'll be able to walk without great fear of falling.  Pulled together a tasty chicken veggie soup that should last a few days and then I'll need to venture into the store again.  Kind of 'over' coming up with meal options that hubby will enjoy.  Hopefully, the couple days off from cooking will bring some 'want' back into finding creativity, healthy options. 

Best Answer

A beautiful Saturday afternoon and I am crabby sitting in my recliner telling myself excuses on why I can't walk.  I can wear my mud boots so that's not a valid excuse.  Our neighbor that I have to pass by has a nasty dog (in my opinion), but he may not be outside now.  I'm also crabby because we did run to the store today and hubby ended up bringing home some crunchy snacks (although I did ask if was going to get any...who are we kidding).  I also picked up some generic sweet that was always an option at grandma's house (ah, we are talking 50 years ago).  I had logged that for today but then wanted crunchy so I deleted and logged that instead, but in order to stay within caloric range I had to delete 20 grams of a protein powder.  And, I'm just crabby because I need to temper my eating and I don't want to (cry baby cry).  SO, I got on here and am hoping by writing this I can get my butt outside for a walk.  I'll report back tomorrow.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, I did walk yesterday and then this morning my neighbor with the 'ugly - mean' dog texted to let me know she'd put her dog in when I wanted to walk.  I told her I'd go right then so my walk is done and I'm back on track in the March walking challenge I had joined.  She then texted to let me know if I ever walk and they are out to just ignore them and walk by and they'd leave me alone.  In the past, a guy had peppered sprayed them and blared an air horn so that's why the one is like that - feels threatened.  

However, last night I binged on Hubby's and mine junk.  This morning Hubby noted he couldn't believe the way I was eating - like I was angry ... and he wasn't about to say anything.  Good answer.  I read all about compulsive eating yesterday so why do I do what I do.?.  Because I'm weak; spoiled; impatient.  Whatever, it really doesn't matter.  Just more excuses.  I made the choice.  I allowed it to happen.  I pay the price.  Maybe I'll be smarter next time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I tracked my food one day last week. I have been cooking more and eating out less. I agree that using caution in the grocery store can eliminate quite a bit of overeating.  I did plan our meals for the next week, with our biggest meal at noon most days. 

Last week I painted the dark paneling in my new craft room in the basement, as well as the new base cabinets we bought. I am a terrible painter! After that part was finished, I decided to paint the paneling on the basement stairs. On Friday, I ripped up the 1972 carpet from the stairs. The backing was ground to black dust! This weekend, Hubby and I painted the walls and tomorrow I will paint the wooden steps. It’s amazing how much lighter the stairway is. 

After warmer weather and sunshine, we are experiencing cool, rainy days, but this won’t last long. My crocus are blooming!

Best Answer

USW - 218.0

LW - 189.2

CW - 190.6

My one to two pounds keep bouncing up and down. Looks like I'm back on that darned see-saw in time for Spring LOL!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cele21 , see-sawing is better then the sky-rocketing I've been doing at night; but, NO MORE.  I set a goal of getting all green bars (staying within my calories) this week on my Lose It app and I walked again today - third day in a row.  I'll take tomorrow off but plan to do some picking up of branches etc around the yard while it's still frozen ground.  

What a nice re-fresh for your house, @ElaineJ27 .  Are you considering some type of slip preventer on your steps?  Both Hubby and I have fallen down painted steps without the 'grippers' - not fun.

Best Answer
0 Votes

CJ, Do you ever make sugar-free jello?  Sometimes I'm guilty of eating just out of boredom and 3/4 cup of  jello with a small handful of fiber one cereal  for crunch mixed together with a bit of fat free whipped cream in a can or some cool whip on top is relatively guilt free.  Whipped cream in a can, at least the fat free version which is on 5 calories a serving seems to be disappearing.  The problem might be the cans.     Probably everyone has tried frozen blueberries and fat free greek yogurt as a low cal substitute for ice cream.  Does anyone have any other good suggestions that can be new favorites?   It might be better and easier to find new GOOD diet friendly treats than just trying to avoid old high calorie choices.  Do you think?

Best Answer

Second good caloric day.  Not easy though and I feel I'll need to go to bed early to make it stick.  I do eat some sugar free items but want to learn to eat in moderation with less artificial sweeteners.  May be a losing battle but we shall see.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you read mayoclinic.org "artificial sweeteners and other sugar substitutes you might not feel it is necessary to avoid artificial sweeteners.  They make keeping calories lower lots easier for me.  i wouldn't give them up for anything.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got my walk in.  My sciatic nerve in my behind is not liking the walks but I'm not giving up.  Hubby found some different popcorn I've never had.  I can't stop on the popcorn.  Not his fault.  I really need to learn self-discipline.

Best Answer

@CJ_Here   CJ, I googled "Why would someone want to avoid popcorn?"  I was surprised to find some people do have a problem with it but it sounds like  the problems go with the stuff they put on the popcorn.  Air popped popcorn with a bit of something other than butter and lots of oil and salt is OK usually.  everydayhealth.com suggests spraying some olive oil and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese or a salt substitute.  Unsalted butter free popcorn will lower cholesterol.    There is a limit to our will power and determination.  I don't seem to have will power &  I wouldn't want to waste any.   I think it is very important to  work hard to find things you really like to eat that are ok diet wise and find exercise you can enjoy even if you hate exercise.  I have been  reading  on my treadmill every day for decades for instance, and it has kept me amazingly healthy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Popcorn with parmesan is good.  I've tried it all, lol.  

I did gain a pound this week and pretty crabby about it.  Crabby enough that hubby bought me flowers.  Yay, no food; bright flowers instead 🙂 

Hit re-boot and in time my mood improved.  Got my weekly walks done.  Hope to get some yard clean-up done before the rain comes.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just a funny thing.....Google said, When you open a can of coffee it  should be stored in an opaque container at room temperature.  I shopped for an opaque container today and none of them were air tight.   So if you have an airtight coffee container maybe cover it with sticky shelf paper or something???  Mine were glass & I didn't think part would stick but maybe it would to plastic?  Is this all too silly?

Best Answer