Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues losing weight after gallbladder removal.

I started dieting in October, because I decided that I wanted to be healthy before I turned 30, and my 29th birthday was coming up in November. I got a gym membership and started eating better, and then out of nowhere at the end of October, I had to have emergency gallbladder surgery.

Since I had the surgery, I think that I've gained like 40 pounds, even though I am eating healthier and eating less. I started paying particular attention to what I was eating, and counted calories very specifically and gained 5 pounds over a week. The next week, as an experiment, I ate whatever I wanted and only gained 1.5 pounds. 

Has anyone else had this problem? When I had the surgery, they didn't say anything about how it would affect my body or anything, or how I should be eating if I wanted to get healthy and lose weight. In the follow up with the surgeon, I didn't really get a chance to ask him because he came into my hospital room at like 5am to check the incisions and talk to me and because he woke me up I was really groggy so I didn't really think to ask any questions. 

According to the calculations from Fitbit, I need to eat about 1700 calories a day to lose 2 pounds a week, but people are telling me that that's way too high and I need to cut back to 1200. Does anyone have any thoughts? 

Best Answer
298 REPLIES 298

I don't understand, it's a really estrange thing ( but i know that it is happening and i would like to help the best i can). Did you count your calorie intake?. And what do you normally eat?. how much weight did you put on? and also, what's your normal activity?. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I didn't put on a heck of a lot of weight -- about 10 pounds -- but it all came on as fat. In clothes I look almost the same except everything fits a little more snugly. But without clothes I look dimply and have a tire around my belly that I didn't have before. Two tires actually. Two distinct tires. So the ten pounds went right on my waist and looks awful and doesn't appear to be going away any time soon. My routine is about the same now as before.

As for why the medical field doesn't try to figure it out, it's probably because of money. Until someone discovers that money can be made from finding an answer, it won't get done. I recently read Superbugs: The Race to Stop an Epidemic by Matt McCarthy. It's about the history of antibiotic research. He knows his stuff -- he's a physician, researcher, and ethics professor. Although it's meant to be hopeful -- that there are still people out there researching new antibiotics -- he also tells how, in the not too recent past, many drug companies ditched their research teams that were trying to discover new antibiotics because it wasn't profitable to their bottomline. So the medical field is in a quandary because so many diseases are becoming antibiotic resistant and there aren't new antibiotics being discovered. Probably similar thing in other cases -- lose a gallbladder, an appendix, a kidney, etc. and what happens to our bodies??? If not enough people have problems from the removal of these organs, then there isn't a profit to be made and so nothing gets done. That's my take on it.

Best Answer

Same here, I had mine removed October 2016 and gained 20 lbs the first year. I never had an issue before. I'm about to start rethinking my strategy for weight loss. Nothing seems to be working.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's going to be my next step,  I just just a complete blood panel done with thyroid, insulin, food allergies, liver count, antibodies, vitamin D... you name it . I was hoping something would pop up. I have the most normal blood ever.  I'm stuck... it's been 3 years to the day that I had my gallbladder removed and I gained 20lbs that first year. I lost a few and and holding steady at a 16lbs gain since the surgery. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago this month (I was 26). I was 120lbs when it was removed, I gained 40 lbs over the next few years. I tried everything to lose weight, nutritionists, exercising 5 days a week, being vegan, being vegetarian, keto, paleo, etc. nothing worked. My friend who was very over weight went on a drug called phentermine for weight loss and lost about 70lbs, I couldn’t go on it because I wasn’t considered obese yet... so my doctor couldn’t prescribe it to me. I went to Mexico and bought it over the counter there (I know that’s awful and I’m not saying anyone else should). I’m not down to 136lbs. I take it every other week now and have been able to maintain 136 without gaining, I still only eat a 1000-1200 calorie diet and I exercise 4-5 times a week for 1 hour. I had gone to the doctor and been told nothing was physically preventing me from losing weight, I’ve had diabetes tests, more blood work than I can name, liver and kidney tests, etc. the only thing that changed was my gallbladder being removed... so I know that’s what caused this weight gain. My hormones all show at normal levels and I’m extremely healthy.... I wish doctors would recognize the link between gallbladder removal and weight gain... because until they do and they figure out what it’s doing to our bodies, I don’t see any other choice but to continue going to Mexico every 6 months spending a couple hundred dollars for phertermine... because I refuse to allow myself to just gain more and more weight. 

Best Answer

You need to do intermittent fasting to start burning fat. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner wrote:

You need to do intermittent fasting to start burning fat. 

I’m afraid intermittent fasting has nothing to do with this. IF is just one of many ways to create a caloric deficit, which is what results in fat loss. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

People that have problems losing weight even with diet this is the best way to change your metabolism and start saying to your body: burn fat because i'm not eating!. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I agree some may experience weight gain after surgery. After my removal the day after I gained 6 pounds. And in less than 4 months I have gained 40 or more pounds. I eat healthy very active and know how to take care of myself. I have attempted to lose weight twice and I have NOT lost one pound. Not really sure what else to do at this point.

Best Answer

@Bdillard wrote:

My friend who was very over weight went on a drug called phentermine for weight loss and lost about 70lbs, I couldn’t go on it because I wasn’t considered obese yet... so my doctor couldn’t prescribe it to me.

There’s a reason why phentermine is a prescription drug: it has the potential to seriously mess up with your body and become addictive. It works for weight loss by being an appetite suppressant. I personally prefer to curb appetite without involving chemicals.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

People that have problems losing weight even with diet this is the best way to change your metabolism and start saying to your body: burn fat because i'm not eating!. 

Interestingly enough both proponents of intermittent fasting and people who advocate the opposite, eating small meals every few hours, do so on the basis their approach would "boost" metabolism. The truth is, meal frequency hardly affects metabolism. If total calories consumed during the day are the same, so will be metabolism, regardless of how many or how few meals you’re going to have during the day.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer

Also, taking good a drug because you are gaining weight from the no gallbladder issue is useless.  You may loose weight and get skinny arms and legs because you aren’t eating properly, but that pregnant belly will still be there.  Pills are just another abuse to your body.  The numbers might go down, but the round shape will stay the same.  Be careful out there in your desperation to fix this.  Don’t hurt your body more. 

Best Answer

I'm not too sure intermittent fasting nor pills are the way to go either. I fasted on certain days during Lent last year just because it was Lent, but I didn't lose weight. It wasn't my reason for doing it, but ... So the fasting did me no good in that regard. And I'd be very nervous about taking pills. I obviously have no answers. I'm still trying different things for myself. Back in 2012, I lost 11 lbs. in 2 months from doing the Insanity exercise program with Sean T.  No idea why it worked then because I had pretty much plateaued on my weight for years and it wasn't budging. Back then, though, I still had my gallbladder. Anyway, we shall see if doing something different besides running will work. It's only been two days and my legs are killing me, and I feel kind of old to me doing Insanity but what the heck. I'm being superstitious and hoping for a repeat of success.

Best Answer

@UkuleleMama : the same causes usually produce the same effects, so there’s no reason why Insanity wouldn’t work this time. Insanity is a very intense form of cardio workout (though there’s also a strength training element in it), wich means it allows you to expend a lot of energy during the time of the workout. And it will improve your stamina as well. Just make sure you are able to perform all exercises safely. Although this type of workout may work well to achieve results in a limited period of time, you may want to also include in your routine something that is more sustainable in the long term. With both eating and activity, long-term sustainability is essential for maintenance.

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes

I did Insanity back in 2012 because my daughter wanted to lose weight and I joined in "the fun." Then I went and lost weight, too, so happy with that result. It was tough then at 56 years old but a lot easier than doing it now at 63! Actually all the running I did is what kept my weight down and allowed me to eat whatever I wanted, but running isn't helping now. I was feeling like I had to run harder and longer and really fight to keep from adding pounds. At 63 it's hard to start a more intensive exercise program. I mean, running an hour a day and not lose weight -- something's wrong. Pre-gallbladder surgery I could go for a run and eat everything in sight that I wanted and stay down in the 118-120 lb. range. Post gallbladder surgery I ran and tried hard not to eat much and just kept gaining weight despite the exercise. Anyway, we shall see if a change -- or addition -- in exercise can do any good. And yeah, I've been a runner for 40+ years so I'm well aware of maintaining activity in order to maintain weight. And I sure cannot go as fast as all of those in shape young toned people on the Insanity videos. I just go as fast as I can and maintain good form. I've been sweating like crazy so I guess I'm getting a decent workout. Losing weight will be nice, but what I really want to see happen is toning my belly more and so far it's staying awful. It's just so blubbery and disgusting. It's where the 10 pounds I gained settled. Just a "nice" tire around my middle.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am 63. I have cut out salt and carbs. I use the diet the heart Dr gave my husband. No carbs or basically, as close as we can get. Fresh peanut butter, no salt. No salt crackers, chicken, fish, fruit (berries only), any squash, green beans, cauliflower potatoes, salad, etc. No food that swells you, such as broccoli. Again, this is per heart Dr.
Weight comes off, but the swelling in my tummy didn’t. I run in place every day and that helps that and maintains me at low 128-130. My norm is 115.
Best Answer
0 Votes

So we're the same age!! And my weight is hanging in the same area these days. It's a fight to keep it there, and I don't want to gain more weight obviously, but the belly blubber is my big concern and it doesn't appear to change these days. It's like a Buddha belly and kind of embarrassing. You can grab a fistful all around. I've always had an outtie belly button but now it looks like an innie because of the fat on my belly.

Best Answer
Yes. I have been fighting this since I got my gallbladder out at 45. It is a daily struggle. Seems like they could come up with some pill that makes a body work as though it still has a gallbladder. They have a pill for everything else your body has issues with.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have always been small , Never weighing over 120 , After my Gallbladder removal the doctor told me I didn't have gallbladder stones real bad but it was best to get them out , So I did but she also told me that I would gain weight really fast  , Mind you I have always ate healthy,  But now. I am weighing in at 161 at 37 yrs old and I would do anything to lose this weight and keep it off , The rage was Keto now reading all the side effects I'm running from it  after ordering 200 dollars worth of Keto pills , I need a good diet to lose weight fast and i dont know what to do , I am now 30 pounds overweight and have never had weight like this in my life .

Best Answer

My doctor told me having a gallbladder removed would most definitely cause weight gain 

Best Answer
0 Votes