Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Calm, Keto On!

Hi, all! Found a couple of low carb threads, but they were old or had veered off into the bushes. Here's a place of support for keto (low carb, adequate protein, high fat) eaters. Haters can hate - but please not here, this is not a place to debate the validity of this way of eating.

Keep calm and keto on!
Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

I'm looking to get started in Keto and I'm hoping to find some friends/support.

I was wondering, has anyone compared weight loss results on a calorie to calorie basis? As in, eating the same number of calories in ketosis vs. in non-ketosis? There must be studies, and/or anecdotes from the FitBit community. Just trying to get extra motivation!

Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LillyE wrote:

For those who follow the keto or lchf way of eating, There is a Google extension called FitBitKeto.  This adds net carbs to the Daily Totals in the food section (web browsers only) 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fitbitketo/gkpaagblehjajcbedipoaipnhclecemn?hl=en

That is REALLY cool!

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer
Hello I just start researching the keto diet and I'm prepping for launch this Friday 8/7/15. I'm new to fitbit, I got it on Monday, so I'm super happy to find this thread!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was wondering, has anyone compared weight loss results on a calorie to calorie basis? 

Check out this article comapring diets.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/comparing-the-diets-part-1.html/

Best Answer

Hi All!

In some searching I found this: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

A ketosis calculator. I know it's just a rough estimate (and the caloric values differ some from what FitBit says) but I'm loving the graphs!

Best Answer

@tally_ wrote:

I was wondering, has anyone compared weight loss results on a calorie to calorie basis? As in, eating the same number of calories in ketosis vs. in non-ketosis? There must be studies, and/or anecdotes from the FitBit community. Just trying to get extra motivation!

Here is a page detailing the results from 23 studies: http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Best Answer

Thanks so much @RivalDealer! Awesome (scientifically peer-reviewed) information!

Best Answer

Hi OdoCat - may I ask what book you read? I'm a fellow migraine sufferer and am super interested in learning more about how diet affects and or fights migraines. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi EmJen! It is called "The Migraine Miracle: A Sugar Free, Gluten-Gree, Ancestral Diet to Reduce Inflammation and Relieve your Headaches for Good" By Josh Turknett, M.D. 

@EmJen wrote:

Hi OdoCat - may I ask what book you read? I'm a fellow migraine sufferer and am super interested in learning more about how diet affects and or fights migraines. 🙂

Best Answer

Thanks for starting this thread.  I am just starting a lchf diet.  I eat from 50 to 130 grams of carbs per day (usually closer to 50).  For years, I had lots of soda and refined grains.  I feel much better now.

I think I eat less now.  I just don't get hungry or want food as much.  High fat & protein helps me stay full.  I'm amazed that I have had very few carb cravings.  (although I do let myself have small amounts of sugar or refined grains, which has been easy to moderate so far.  I am sure it's better to avoid added sugar and refined grains.)

I read that we are all ketogenic while we sleep (and go the whole night without food).  Is that accurate?  That normalized ketosis fo me.  I am considering lowering my carbs to get into ketosis more often.

I did not know that a lchf can help with migraines.  I hope it will help me.  Avoiding soy, caffeine and msg has already greatly lessened my migraines.  I read a non-lchf book that helped.  "Heal Your Headache:  The 1-2-3 Program" by David Buchholz.  He looks at what foods to avoid.

Best Answer
I've been keto for about 16 months. Started at about 110kg and for the last 8 -10 months I'm mainteining at 81kg. All through keto.

Started weight lifting a month ago because now i have new goals. Still keto, only counting the carbs and ignoring the calories
Best Answer

Two weeks in and I've lost more on Keto than I have in the past 2 months of caloric restriction! (2-3lbs a week compared to less than a pound a week). If anything, I'm eating more calorie wise, but restricting my net carbs to under 30 grams. It also forces me to restrict processed foods which is doing great things for my body. I have so much more energy!

The bonus is that I'm loosing fat and gaining muscle! On days when I don't loose anything I notice my body fat percentage decreasing steadily. I can't believe I've never tried this before. I know I'm just getting started, but it feels much more like a lifestyle change than a diet. I feel so much more healthy all around.

Best Answer

Congratulations on your success! I came here to say though, and hopefully this doesn't negate any good feelings you're having, but only adds more, if you went down a whole size I'm guessing you lost more than 10 pounds between starting and your first weigh in. I mean of course body composition is going to be different in everyone, and height matters, and all that jazz, BUT I'm down 30 lbs since I first started a few months ago and I've only just barely lost a full size. I've heard it's 10 lbs per pant size for standard sizes but I've also heard it's MUCH higher for plus sizes. like 25-30. REGARDLESS, Awesome freaking job, lady!!

SW June '15 303 lbs
CW Sept '15 280 lbs
UGW 2017 160 lbs
Best Answer

I find the "peer review studies" that were posted interesting. First, when studies are hand picked like these, assume there are studies that say something different. I know because I worked in a research lab that did that regularly.  Also, no one defined "carbs".  Junk food? Processed food? Breads? Whole grains? Great results are seen when people eliminate all processed "food", including soda and things in packages,  from their diets. Also,  some of the studies were with people who were pretty ill, and that makes a huge difference.

There have been many studies of people switching to vegetarian or vegan plans and losing weight, and those are lots of beans, lentils and veggies.  And fruit.

Great results have also been seen when there is a switch to primarily organic food, as many of the chemicals and hormones used in food are known to cause weight gain. These studies, at least from what I saw, are not differentiating between vegetables and other whole foods and breads which our bodies read as sugar.  Makes a huge difference.

I had several friends who were on medically supervised keto until they had kidney issues on their blood work, and switched to eating a healthy well-balanced diet.  Well-balanced meaning healthy food only, nothing processed, healthy fats only.  One was vegetarian, one was vegan, two stuck with what they had been eating with adding a small amount of whole grains daily.  All remained physically active - including cardio, strength, balance, agility, flexibility.  All continued losing weight.

Vegetarians lose weight, and vegans lose weight. Athletes often eat lots of carbs (healthy ones).

I think we are still being sold a product as "the next best thing"

Maybe we each just need to eat healthy real food, no chemicals packages or junk,  and balance it out slightly based on what works for us at our current weight and activity level.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

@Bobbinyc wrote:

Also, no one defined "carbs".  Junk food? Processed food? Breads? Whole grains?

Carbs are carbs, no one on a forum "defined" them. They are one of the 3 macro nutrients present in our diet, together with fats and proteins. You should have acces to wikipedia to search for carbs and get the definition there. If not, here, let me help you:

"A carbohydrate is a biological molecule consisting of carbon (C), hydrogen (H) and oxygen (O) atoms, usually with a hydrogen : oxygen atom ratio of 2:1"

No one is selling anything on a ketogenic diet, unless he is selling bacon, butter or eggs, the staple foods of keto. 

I also highly doubt the part where you said you know people who did keto "under medical supervision" and got kidney problems. Worst case, you get kidney problems on a high protein diet. And keto is not that. Its a high fat, medium protein, low carb diet. 

You can eat twinkies and lose weigh. That doesnt mean its healthy for you. Losing weight its not something magical, it's acomplished by having a caloric deficit. And keto makes this really easy since you are never hungry. And if you are never hungry, it's impossible to over-eat. 

Best Answer

@Bobbinyc wrote:

I had several friends who were on medically supervised keto until they had kidney issues on their blood work, and switched to eating a healthy well-balanced diet.  

How did you know these people?  It is unusual to know even one person on a medically supervised diet, let alone "several" otherwise healthy people.

And why were they on a medically supervised diet?  Any underlying issues that caused them to be medically supervised in the first place?

@Bobbinyc wrote:

Great results have also been seen when there is a switch to primarily organic food, as many of the chemicals and hormones used in food are known to cause weight gain. These studies, at least from what I saw, are not differentiating between vegetables and other whole foods and breads which our bodies read as sugar.  Makes a huge difference.

The only problems being that the definition of "organic" is so convoluted that you could almost say Twinkies are organic.  It's almost meaningless.

And frankly, none of the studies that use a food diary or meal recollection are worth anything.  The ones showing red meat is terrible often point to people eating hot dogs and pizza as being less healthy than those that don't.  No kidding - healthy people tend to shy away from hot dogs and pizza, both of which consist of a cured, processed meat on a highly processed, sugary bread.  That doesn't mean someone eating a quality steak is at risk.  Not to mention the whole idea of asking people what they ate is problematic.  People lie so they don't look like gluttons or honestly forget what they ate, assuming they could tell the amounts eaten in the first place.

@Bobbinyc wrote:

One was vegetarian, one was vegan, two stuck with what they had been eating with adding a small amount of whole grains daily.  All remained physically active - including cardio, strength, balance, agility, flexibility.  All continued losing weight.

Which brings us back to this question - were these friends vegan and vegetarian before they went on the medically supervised ketogenic diet?  Were their bodies having trouble processing fats because they weren't used to eating them?  Possibly an imbalance caused by being a vegan?

I get being a vegetarian.  I have considered it in the past for ethical reasons, and I do know you can get the needed nutrients from things like eggs and milk.  You can't get those being a vegan.  There are a few important nutrients you cannot get, by definition, without consuming animal products, whether they be eggs or milk or something similar.  So you don't need to eat meat.  But you do need to either eat animal products or supplement.

It just boggles my mind that these otherwise healthy people were on a medically supervised diet, and then were suddenly unhealthy enough to end the diet.  It's odd.

FitBit One
"You should really wear a helmet."
5K 9/2015 - 36:59.57
Best Answer

@Bobbinyc wrote:

Also, no one defined "carbs".

Seriously?  There are only three macronutrients  (four if you count alcohol).

Best Answer

Thanks for the link.

Jim

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much for making this thread. I am having a lot of success on this type of diet. I wrote about my experience in the introductory thread so I won't repeat it here but nothing else has caused the success I am experiencing now in the reversal of my metabolic syndrome.

I eat high good fats, moderate protein and very little carbs. The only carbs I eat are in whole vegetables, no root or starchy ones yet. I wish the FitBit log would allow you to switch it to the recommended keto or paleo type of diets.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced stomach issues when they changed over? I was a high refined card eater for all of my life and now I am trying to digest vegetables, which has been hard on my stomach. I read somewhere that it has to do with the PH change? I think grains are very acidic or vice versa and now the stomach has to deal with the change in acid? Any information would be helpful.
Best Answer

Thanks for this tip.  I can now see Net Carbs under the Daily Food Log.  But, it would be better if FitBit would add this feature instead of requiring us to use a Google extension.

Best Answer