Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Calm, Keto On!

Hi, all! Found a couple of low carb threads, but they were old or had veered off into the bushes. Here's a place of support for keto (low carb, adequate protein, high fat) eaters. Haters can hate - but please not here, this is not a place to debate the validity of this way of eating.

Keep calm and keto on!
Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

@Red_Pomegranate wrote:

"A keto diet can improve some markers of type 2 diabetes, but it will likely never eliminate the need to take medication. A keto diet will cause many other health problems."

@GershonSurge, flatly untrue, I suggest you do your research before you go spouting off somewhere your input isn't desired. 

Google Dr Sarah Hallberg and watch her Ted talk, for a start. 

I no longer concern myself with other people's diets. Thank you for your input. It seems a keto diet causes people to turn nasty.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge if speaking plainly makes me "nasty" then I am happy to be considered a nasty woman 😊 there are many of us. 

If you don't follow diets why are you asking us to follow yours? Contradiction much? 

Best Answer

@GershonSurge - Not trying to stoke a controversy or debate with these questions (I appreciate how heated dialog is largely absent from the Fitbit Community).

You had mentioned that keto will cause many other health problems -- what are these many other health problems?  Can you point us to published evidence of these many problems?

You had mentioned that  "a keto diet can improve some markers of type 2 diabetes, but it will likely never eliminate the need to take medication".  But Virtahealth is treating type 2 diabetes with ketogenic diets and many of its patients have indeed eliminated the need to take medication, according to their results at https://www.virtahealth.com/research .  Is there reason to believe these results are falsified?  Can you point us to contrary evidence published elsewhere?

These questions are sincere -- I try to understand all sides of an issue.  In the case of keto, I'm having an overwhelmingly positive experience with it so far, but I want to make sure that I am not blinded by it and my own confirmation bias.  By the way, I don't doubt that people do well on plant-based diets as recommended by Pritikin and McDougall.

Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Here

I no longer discuss ways of eating. All I am willing to do is point people in the direction of solid research. 

I suggest starting with this series of videos by Dr. McDougall.

Then read The Starch Solution by Dr. McDougall. He has many links to studies. Click on the links and read every study that is on the internet.

Dr. T. Colin Campbell has been researching ways of eating for over 60 years. I suggest starting with Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition. Also, read The China Study. Keep in mind The China Study is a collection of data, not an actual research study. However, it confirms other research studies done by Dr. Campbell.

After reading these books, I suggest listening to about 100 of these videos by Dr. Campbell. I did it while walking and working out. You will learn how flawed much of the research is and how influenced it is by meat and dairy industry.

I suggest listening to the Pritikin tapes from 1982. The reason to go back this far is you will see the information hasn't changed in decades. It has been confirmed by numerous studies since then.

Then read A REVIEW OF MEDICAL LITERATURE ON RELATIONSHIPS OF VARIOUS DEGENERATIVE DISEASES TO DIET AND ACTIVIT... by Nathan Pritikin. This will point you to earlier research.

Yes, it's a ton of reading and listening. I've done it all and much more. Enjoy.

Best Answer

Thanks @GershonSurge for such a comprehensive compendium of resources. It will take me some time to get through them. 

The question I'm trying to answer is not whether plant-based diets are beneficial (I believe they are), but if keto is harmful and does not enable some with type 2 diabetes to get off their medications, which is your contention.  I'm curious if any of the links you provided support that position?

I've been intrigued by reports that Pritikin's protocols enable patients to reverse their cardiovascular disease and "unclog" their arteries.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Daves_Not_Here,

You can find all the answers to all dietary health questions in those sources. It wouldn't be helpful to point you directly to your question. That would be a reductionist approach which does not work for healthy eating.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge - that's pretty funny -- I'll have to try that if I ever make an unsupported allegation and somebody calls me on it: "Well, I could answer your question, but instead I'll bury you in a barrage of answers to a different question."

So no, not only does my "reductionist" approach work for healthy eating, it's good for flushing out intellectual frauds and sophists. 

You said you "no longer discuss ways of eating" but assert "keto will cause many other health problems".  Putting aside that keto is a way of eating that you are discussing, your attempted obfuscation of your inability to cite evidence or example is not fooling anybody.

Your unsupported allegation that keto "will likely never eliminate the need to take medication" in the face of direct evidence to the contrary betrays a hidebound lack of curiosity.

To assert that "all the answers to all dietary health questions" are even known much less provided by you, reveals either arrogance or misunderstanding of the word "all".

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here in your condescension, because it certainly isn't to influence or persuade.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge

Everything you posted supports and encourages a vegan lifestyle but that does not suit everyone. Truth is, starches makes a lot of people extremely ill which is why so many people are now following a ketogenic lifestyle. I can't speak for @Daves_Not_Here but I can say that transitioning to a ketogenic lifestyle (which I have now sustained for well over two years) has resulted in drastic improvements in my health, energy levels, and physical conditioning, and I am connected to many others who have had the same results. 

I've read the China Study. I've also read various reports that completely discredit it - for that you'll have to do your own research as I just read and move on, I don't save references. For whatever study you drag up to try and use as evidence for the vegan approach you appear to be pushing, if you actually dig deeper you'll find other studies that disprove and discredit accordingly. 

People should be left to find what works for them personally without being pushed by others who prefer to do things differently and no one has any right to repeatedly tell others that their way of doing things is wrong, which is what you have been doing in this topic.

Allie
Best Answer

@Alicat2104,

First of all, this thread started in 2015, and I made only one post in July 2017. That's hardly "pushing" a way of eating and it's hardly repeatedly. The other posts were in response to others who are basically calling me a liar.

@Daves_Not_Hereasked some specific questions. I pointed out I don't debate ways of eating anymore, so I gave him some admittedly long research to do. At first, he thanked me for them, and then he viciously attacked me for no reason. 

If you want to eat keto, go ahead. I'd rather go with the old guys who say differently and have been doing so since they started their work in the early 70s.

Gershon

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GershonSurge and @Daves_Not_Here

Might I suggest that the two of you take your argument elsewhere?

I think it's clear this thread was intended to be a supportive environment for those of us that wish to follow a keto / LCHF eating strategy.

I for one have no intention to engage in a debate.  I've already decided it works for me, and I am happy to support others who are interested and want to try it.

It's my choice (any anyone else's). Nothing either of you say will persuade me to change what I have found to be immensely successful.

Best Answer

Great to hear... that’s my dream!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for the help & excited to have keto pals & mentors!  I’m 2 weeks in & still trying to eat enough fats.  Counting on my Fitbit and a little confused with grams of each vs calorie %.  Anyone have that dialed in?  Which should I count, percent calories or actual grams?

So far I miss pancakes & my roasted carbs veggies, but down +7lbs! Luckily I like Asparagus and broccoli/cauliflower. Love feeling so satisfied and full all day! 

Favorite travel snacks anyone?  So far lots of nuts... other ideas? 

Thank you,

Heather  : )

Best Answer
0 Votes
For snacks, I like the following:

For packing to go:

Pepperoni sticks (pepperettes)
Cheese sticks, or just home sliced cheese
Scotch Eggs (lots of keto recipes online, but basically a hard boiled egg
wrapped in sausage meat and baked)

For home:
Pepperoni Pizza Cups

Bacon Wrapped Mini - Peppers (use jalapenos for a kick)

~dryrunner
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you SO much!!

Thank you,

Dr. Heather Vallier
Best Answer
0 Votes
There were supposed to be some links in there: Pepperoni Pizza Cups: https://www.aspicyperspective.com/low-carb-pepperoni-pizza-cups/ Bacon Wrapped Mini Peppers: https://www.thegunnysack.com/spicy-bacon-wrapped-sweet-peppers/ (i pre-cook the bacon to a fairly cooked point, but leave it so it is still quite "wrappable") Keto Scotch Eggs: https://www.ditchthecarbs.com/keto-paleo-scotch-eggs/ Good Luck!
Best Answer

Thanks @SunsetRunner - those look yummy!  I'll make the pepperoni muffins this week.

My one Keto food problem is I have not found any good substitute to satisfy my desire for crunch or bread.  The Keto bread recipes I've tried have all been uniformly awful.  Have you found any that work?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I haven't tried bread, except I allow myself a cheat day once in a blue
moon, and yes "real" bread is usually a part of that. Yes, I get tossed
out of keto, but to me a rare treat is an okay thing.

I've always wanted to try cloud bread, but use it for toast, or for grilled
cheese but so far I haven't bothered.

As for crunch, I'm a big fan of Whisps which are parmesan crackers that are
available at Costco in Canada. They're stupid expensive, but they help
fill a need. I've tried making parmesan crackers a couple of times from
freshly grated parmesan and it's not easy!

We are also regular grillers and roasters of chicken wings in the oven or
in the bbq. They're usually crispy enough to get some crunch.

If you like the pepperoni idea then you can just slice pepperoni and bake
the the slices in the oven (I use parchment paper) and then dip them like a
chip in any kind of keto-friendly sauce. There is a fine line between
crispy and burnt though, so don't take your eyes off of them.

~James
Best Answer
You are AMAZING!!!

Thank you,

Dr. Heather Vallier
Best Answer
0 Votes

I crunch on roasted almonds or kale chips.  Pretty good, but I miss bread & chips too! 

The pepperoni pizza cups cups look yummy... TY! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Can you make a copy and make this shareable on open office? Or google docs? I wouldn’t mind playing around with it for my own records. 

If you don’t mind 😊

Best Answer
0 Votes