Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Calm, Keto On!

Hi, all! Found a couple of low carb threads, but they were old or had veered off into the bushes. Here's a place of support for keto (low carb, adequate protein, high fat) eaters. Haters can hate - but please not here, this is not a place to debate the validity of this way of eating.

Keep calm and keto on!
Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

Hi Salmanda,

I'm not sure if that was meant for me or not, but earlier in the thread I posted links to the snack suggestions that I made.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all,

I started Keto January 2nd at a starting weight of 198lbs. I dropped 31 pounds in a month. A lot of excess water I'm sure. I went cold turkey, die hard for 32 days straight. Then I "took a break". I've tried three times now to get back on track.  I don't know why it's so hard this time. I'm weighing in today to see where I am, but I've been mostly off the rails for 2 months.

I started a boot camp yesterday. I'm so sore right now, maybe this is what I need to recommit. 

Does anyone else struggle to get in all their fat? I'm a fat bomb user. I'd like to learn how to achieve my father goal without relying on them.

Trish

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Trish,

I have also fallen off the rails, but I'm not sure what that means for you.

For me, it means that I have started eating sugar again, both sweets and
carbs that are easily converted to sugars once I digest them.

Being an alcoholic I have come to learn that I use sugar / food much in the
same way that I used to use alcohol. This May I'll be sober for three
years, but I recognize that I am still using food in many ways that I
shouldn't.

What I believe is that "addiction is not the problem, addiction is how I
try to solve the problem" - therefore what is the problem. This is an over
simplification, but for me - I need to work on why I'm using food and find
ways to work productively against those instincts.

I'm not sure if any of this rings true for you, or not.

I attended a seminar in the autumn and the message I heard loud and clear
was the the only real way to beat what affects me is abstinence. So, I
have to get back to a place where I can stop eating sweets, potatos, bread,
blah, blah, blah - and realize that for me, there is no such thing as
taking a break.

Like I said, your experience might be completely different from mine, but
this is what I know I need to do for myself, and I'm trying to figure out
how to get there.

For what it's worth - I admire you for getting into the boot camp, and I
think that is a great choice no matter what you decide to do about keto /
low carb!

James
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! 

It certainly can be hard to get back on track! I try to give myself some grace the first few days "back" and allow myself to eat my fill of keto foods if I am hungry. Avoiding those carbs the first few days is more important than keeping calories low. Just do it! The cravings go away after day 4 for me. 

Now here's my hint about getting in all your fat: don't worry about it. Your body has fat, and that's what you want to get rid of, right?! Keto is wonderful for that because it is muscle sparing and the body will prefer to get any extra caloric needs from our fat stores. Make sure to hit your protein goal, stay under your carb limit, and supplement with fat (cheese, creamy sauces, dip for veggies, cream in coffee) if you're hungry but don't worry about falling a bit short. 

Best Answer
0 Votes