Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep Calm, Keto On!

Hi, all! Found a couple of low carb threads, but they were old or had veered off into the bushes. Here's a place of support for keto (low carb, adequate protein, high fat) eaters. Haters can hate - but please not here, this is not a place to debate the validity of this way of eating.

Keep calm and keto on!
Best Answer
83 REPLIES 83

Of course, being low-carb means being high-fat in the diet.  Pesonally, I strive for 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% or less carbs

Best Answer

Over the past several years I've lost about 180 pounds by low carb and/or keto. Been stuck for over a year now, ready to get back on it.

Best Answer

Keto is a bit more than that.  It is a diet that minimizes insulin response and insulin resistance.  It is low carb, moderate protein and high fat.  The body converts excess protein into glucose which spikes insulin preventing both fat usage and ketone production.  (Ketones are the substitute for Glucose (blood sugar) and does not spike insulin).  The goal is to lower blood sugar, preventing the problems that high blood sugar causes, including diabetes, fat retention, heart disease and organ stress/failure.

Best Answer

Within a month of going on a Ketogenic diet I cut my triglyseride levels in half.  I am now 15 pounds lighter (in 6 months) and have moved from 36% body fat to 26% without losing any muscle mass.

Best Answer

Yes, the "Keto-flu" is a pain until your body remembers how to create and use Ketones rather than Glucose.  It does, as you note, pass.

Best Answer

Hey,

So I'm pretty new to the Keto experience. I must say I did a lot of research before starting this lifestyle change but still had my doubts (previous diets not working still in my head). But once I saw the pounds coming off and my energy levels changing. It became almost addicting. I even found foods like pizza, burgers (with buns), and other carb heavy things disgusting. No soda and eating healthy. I love it. Not only did it help me but my success has made others question their eating habits. Family asking questions, co-workers, which lead to a weight loss challenge at work. I haven't felt this good in a long time. I've lost 32 pounds in just under 2 months and still going strong!!!

Best Answer

@Malo84

You have a story similar to mine. Up and down for 20 years, and decided to try LCHF Feb--it was Superbowl weekend. The 'flu' phase was a pain but not terrible, but I am now 50 lighter than late 2015.

No hunger, no cravings, tons of energy, do HIIT 20 mins 3X a week no prob, do weights when I feel like it, can do 50 pushups (ie no 'weakness' or 'wasting' that sceptics harp about). Amazing.

Friend at work asked me my 'secret'...he's down 23 in a month and his wife 8..they do it together which helps 🙂

I'm now trying various intermittent fasting things..I simply don't eat until I am genuinely hungry..usually 20-24 hours. Longest is 66 hours..painless. 

It is truly amazing. The sceptics say 'It will all come back on'...I won't have a real answer for that until a year goes by.  All the best!   Rob

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer

I have been doing Keto since Feb 2016. Was looking to decrease the inflamation in my body and loving the weight loss. I have a slipped disk in my SI joint (last vertebre in the spine before the tailbone) it sucks becuase weight bearing activities and impact activities are painful. I constantly push myself physically and I have ben working out for almost a year now with a goal for strength and endurance.

I do weights once a week (I should do them more but I hate being alone in the weights area of the gym) and I use the stairclimber pretty much 5 days a week. My problem is that I am sore all the time. Muscle soreness is really hindering my life. Mornings are the worse. I take magnesium and B12 complex with Vit C as well as Glucosimine and Vit D. I feel beat up so much that this last week it has been really hard to get to the gym in the morning. I am an avid gardener and equestrian and its summer time and I want to hike and camp and ride my pony and garden 24/7 lol before the snow flies again.

Anyone have suggestions on a no carb-no sugar muscle suppliment or what have you that will help? I do stretch...not daily and maybe yoga will help.

TIA

Best Answer

@arctic.mermaid

I have no idea if this will help you, but on big resistance days I have a protein shake using 2 scoops of unsweetened/unflavored whey, 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter, and 1 Tbsp pure cocoa (Fry's) mixed in water. 

4 net carbs, lots of protein, and my post-workout 'feel' is as good as when I used more carby stuff.

Again, not sure if this answers your question, but good luck finding something that works for you! Rob

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer

This is grate. I follow Keto diet. just got my HR FitBit. tring to figure if it is compatible with my diet tracking needs. About 4 mth ago ,I was told to," forget pre-diabetic ,you r diabetic". the guy was pretty cool about it. told me to stop all carbs and all kinds of things,that left me with a lot questions. I Next appointment in 45 days. I went to work and Googled the heck out of natural remedies for my condition. In came Dr Diet and Dr Fong.I have lost 37 lbs. ,my blood sugar levels are dwn more than 50 points and the second visit to the endocrinologist went well. no meds and green light to keep doing this. 

Best Answer
Hi,
Only got my Fitbit in May this year. Amazed by your success above. Well done. As this was some time ago, I suspect you have lost a lot more weight. Would love any advice you have to offer. I am a type 2 diabetic taking medication. My GP and diabetic support have been no help. I need to help myself. It took me about 5 weeks to get into keto. I am intermittently fasting as well, and have just started to loose weight. I look forward to hearing from you.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for getting this thread started. It's good to see so many women on keto. I am a diabetic with some of the complications that go with it. I'm convinced that the keto diet together with intermittent fasting and daily exercise will help me turn my health around. I feel so positive and my 'can do' attitude has returned. I would love to chat to anyone re keto, IF and exercise.
Best Answer

@May77,

A keto diet can improve some markers of type 2 diabetes, but it will likely never eliminate the need to take medication. A keto diet will cause many other health problems.

Type 2 diabetes can be cured in about two weeks with a whole food plant based diet. 

I suggest watching these 12 videos by Dr. McDougall. They cover more than diabetes. Try the way of eating for 10 days and see what happens. 

Best Answer

Thank you!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yup! Both my father and grandfather have (had) diabetes. Both of them skinny, both of them eating a standard American diet with "healthy" whole grains. At 40, I found out I was pre-diabetic, no thanks! It took me until less than a month ago and can't wait to have my A1C checked after the New Year! I've also had tons of energy, my mood is great, and I'm sleeping like a baby.

Best Answer
0 Votes

"A keto diet can improve some markers of type 2 diabetes, but it will likely never eliminate the need to take medication. A keto diet will cause many other health problems."

@GershonSurge, flatly untrue, I suggest you do your research before you go spouting off somewhere your input isn't desired. 

Google Dr Sarah Hallberg and watch her Ted talk, for a start. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi All! I have been off and on a LCHF diet for the past 10 years. I have been "off" for a while, so now I am back to counting all macronutrients using MyFitnessPal. I have more energy and less cravings when I am on a strict low carb regimen. There is now a breath ketone analyzer. I have one and enjoy being able to measure my progress when ever I want. Here is the website for more information: https://www.ketonix.com
Fitbit Versa | Samsung Galaxy S9
Best Answer

There is now a breath ketone analyzer. I have one and enjoy being able to measure my progress when ever I want. Here is the website for more information: https://www.ketonix.com

Wow! Despite the fact that it's pretty spendy, I imagine that over time it's a good investment rather than reordering keto strips over and over.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also want to add that having done keto / LCHF pretty consistently since January 12, 2017 the benefits have clearly worked for me, and with my doctor who has been monitoring my progress with regular visits and lab results.

I've lost 50lb, and dropped 2 high blood pressure medications, and my resting heart rate is 50 or lower.

I can't speak for other people's experience - and I believe nobody else should either.  Any diet or eating strategy has the potential for a negative experience.  But any general comment about keto or LCHF being an unhealthy choice for everyone is patently false.  

Do the research, think about it, and discuss with your doctor.  These are the steps to take in deciding whether or not it is appropriate.  Most importantly, listen to your body.  

I still have occasional cravings, but they're most often temporary.  I have meals that fill me, and with my Fitbit I am more than comfortable with a very closely tracked calorie deficit  4 or 5 days a week.

It has been my experience that it gets easier and easier over time which is fabulous.

~dry_runner

Best Answer

I'm now well over two years in to keto living and still thriving Smiley Very Happy

Allie
Best Answer