Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keto anyone?

Hello - I'm new here, first time logging on. I'm just wondering if anyone has done the keto diet and had success? My husband and friends know people who have dropped 20+ pounds on this diet. I've lost 5 in 6 weeks. I'm getting frustrated because I am working so hard to lose another 15.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on how to be successful at losing weight while eating healthy and working out? I'm even turning down pizza...and that is hard. I'm doing everything that I can but I'm just not satisfied with the time it is taking me to lose weight.

Thanks in advance!!

Best Answer
70 REPLIES 70

I have been using The Android app "Stupid Simple Keto" for 53 days now.  I'm down 21 lbs.  This app makes it pretty simple to follow keto.  The only activity for me is walking as I do have some mobility issues but maybe this app will help you as well.

I have limited my carbs bit haven't given up any specific foods except sugar and sugary foods.  I stay away from most boxes or pre-prepared foods.  It is really about listening to your body and making good choices from a variety of real food.

Everyone is different so what works for one person may not work for another. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

been doing Keto since 10/08/2017, have managed to lose 110 lbs thus far in about 5 1/2 months.  do IF, extended fasts, and tons of walking.  I must be the exception because I don't log a darn thing.  find it easy when I eat just one meal a day, keep it under 2000 calories, keep the carbs at 20 or lower. voila, weight loss 🙂 

Best Answer

@jshaf - congrats!  How much more do you need to lose?  Has your weight loss been slowing down?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just weighed today, have lost 117 lbs, want to get 200 (would weigh 250) off in a calendar year and then get below 200 lbs, once I get to that point if I still feel good will knock another  20-25 off.  Right now I weigh 333 and started at over 450. started this diet wanting to lose 100-120 in the first year; which I thought was asking a lot at the time, but got that in less than 6 months(still have two weeks til it is 6 months), so surprised myself.  have had slow downs briefly, usually I feel achy at times so I dial it back for a a couple days and when I feel better I hit it hard again both exercising and with my diet/fasts.  have had as little as a one lb weight loss in a week and as much as 10 in a week.  have had a bunch of 7 lbs weeks.  seems like a lucky number for me 🙂 

Best Answer

@jshaf - WOW!  That is so cool!  

Does this new lifestyle feel sustainable, meaning can you see yourself eating this way long-term?  (I hope the answer is yes, because that's what I'm trying to do).  Also, are you receiving some of the reported keto benefits such as mental clarity and increased energy?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Daves_Not_Herewrote:

@jshaf - WOW!  That is so cool!  

Does this new lifestyle feel sustainable, meaning can you see yourself eating this way long-term?  (I hope the answer is yes, because that's what I'm trying to do).  Also, are you receiving some of the reported keto benefits such as mental clarity and increased energy?

Yes very much so, I used to think I could not live with out mountain dew, and all the other crap foods.  for a long time I thought I was doomed to have a miserable life.  gave up on ever losing weight for a long time but last summer I think I hit rock bottom and had lost the energy to do the basic things in life.  found myself sitting in front of the computer and watching Utube videos on my vacation because I was too subconscious or had no energy to go out and do something enjoyable.  I happened to search for diet trends on Utube and found Dr Berg and Dr Westman  videos and that led me to Jason Wittrock videos, and Thomas Delauer and many others.  that in a few months of watching and learning has changed my life.

I plan on doing Keto for most of the rest of my life, one meal a day primarily.  will probably scale back on doing extended fasts once I reach my goal weight and want to keep myself under 200 lbs the rest of my life.  I have experienced the improvement in mental clarity and still do.  I find that I think more rationally, don't go off mentally in high stress situations.  think calmer if that makes sense.  less mental mistakes.  two other things I have noticed since doing keto,  I used to get blisters on my feet and hands when I worked out or ran/walked a lot.  haven't had a blister since starting keto, and the last 4 days I have walked 46 miles; no blisters.  I used to wake myself up snoring, haven't had that happen in months now.  Used to experience serious sinus issues in the early winter from wood smoke, this year have almost no sinus issues or had any virus(this was one of the worst flu season ever) all my co-workers and family had the flu or other things, me the heavy guy had no issues at all. had to fill in for everyone all winter....yay 🙂  there are a bunch of little things I could mention.  going keto was the best thing I have ever done!! very sustainable for me, can't imagine poisoning myself with fast food again.  I know the day will come when I have to eat at a typlical restaurant, I'm prepared to make smart choices and never going back to my old habits.  honestly don't crave that crap anymore

Best Answer

@jshaf - inspirational, thanks!

You mentioned a benefit I've experienced -- resilience in the face of colds and the flu.  My family and coworkers all have had multiple rounds of colds and the flu this season.  I skipped the flu-shot this year.  A few times I felt symptoms coming on but was found I was able to recover in 24 hours with a little extra sleep.

And I lost my snoring and CPAP machine as well.  Great stuff. 

Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Herewrote:

@jshaf - inspirational, thanks!

You mentioned a benefit I've experienced -- resilience in the face of colds and the flu.  My family and coworkers all have had multiple rounds of colds and the flu this season.  I skipped the flu-shot this year.  A few times I felt symptoms coming on but was found I was able to recover in 24 hours with a little extra sleep.

And I lost my snoring and CPAP machine as well.  Great stuff. 

more than happy to help, keep on keeping on 🙂   I used to buy the sugar free cough drops hall's makes in the 180 count bags at Sams club, used to go thru two whole bags in winter, throat was sore constantly, this winter I think I had two cough drops verses two bags last winter.....crazy stuff 🙂 

Best Answer

still doing keto, down 124 lbs after 6 months 🙂  used to have hot clammy hands, to day a coworker felt my hand as I handed her something and she was surprised at how cold my hands were.  I laughed, that is the first time in my life that someone complained about my hands being cold.  Since doing keto a lot of things about me have changed.  could wax for tens of minutes about all the little things I have noticed 🙂 

Best Answer

still doing keto, down 145, at 305 right now, hoping to be under 300 soon 🙂 

Best Answer

when you started - how difficult was the transition?

How does keto work with your cardio or weight training?

Len

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lennythek wrote:

when you started - how difficult was the transition?

How does keto work with your cardio or weight training?

Len

Hi @lennythek -- I'm not sure if you are asking @jshaf or myself, so I'll answer and let @jshaf chime in if he wants. 

For me, the initial transition to Keto was easy - I was already eating low-carb, so I made what seemed like minor adjustments.  More challenging was ramping my athletic performance back up.  That took a couple of months, and I had some bonks.  I needed to learn to increase sodium and my heat sensitivity increased.  However, now that I'm fully fat-adapted, I love how I can exercise cardio for hours on an empty stomach.

I don't weight train, but I know that anaerobic exercise takes the biggest performance hit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think weightlifting that is more endurance-based, such as bodybuilding, may not see a big difference. For lifting with more of a strength emphasis (powerlifting, olympic lifting etc.) or HIIT, it might be an issue getting enough energy to complete those tasks without carbs.  

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer
0 Votes

@WavyDavey wrote:

I think weightlifting that is more endurance-based, such as bodybuilding, may not see a big difference. For lifting with more of a strength emphasis (powerlifting, olympic lifting etc.) or HIIT, it might be an issue getting enough energy to complete those tasks without carbs.  

@WavyDavey -- what you said aligns with my experience.  Also, I've been experimenting with Superstarch (a "slow drip" carb that enables you to stay in ketosis), and found it greatly improves my skiing and bike hill-climbing.  I started a separate thread on that.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Can you link to that post?

Live long!
Best Answer
0 Votes

the "transition" was only a couple days, and that was just getting used to the food and getting the cobwebs out so to speak with the keto flu thing.  I had brain fog for a couple days and that was about it.   building up the fasts took about 6 weeks or so.  the only activity I do for exercise is walking and a ton of it, low impact (have arthritic knees and planter-fascitis (sp) in both feet)  days I am extended fasting I try to get 20K + steps to take advantage of the fasted state,  seems to keep me burning fat a a good clip and I generally feel pretty darn good while doing it, a lot easier than I would have previously thought possible.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lennythek wrote:
Can you link to that post?

Live long!

@lennythek -- if you are speaking to me, the post I referenced above about Superstarch is here.

@by the way, I almost missed your question -- if you reference the name using the @ sign, then that person gets notified they were mentioned in the thread and are less likely to miss a question.  Of course, I can flake out even if I am mentioned! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
@Daves_Not_Here. WOW! That is one impressive chain. Many thanks!

Live long!
Best Answer

down 152 now to 298 lbs, first time I have seen the 200's in about 23 years.  Keto is the bomb 🙂 

Best Answer

no message

Best Answer
0 Votes