Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labor Day challenge 2017

This is an ongoing challenge where we post weekly about our weight and share helpful tips, give support and talk about our ups and downs.  The following abbreviations are helpful to use:

SW - starting weight

CW - current weight 

PW - previous week's weight

GW - goal weight

USW - highest weight

All that you need to do to join is write a post with your starting weight and your goal.

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
203 REPLIES 203

In the midst of a weight loss challenge to lose 8% of my body weight in 12 weeks. Started on Aug. 10th and it ends on November 2nd. 

SW - 190

CW - 186 

PW - 187

GW - 175

M, 44, 6'3", IN
Best Answer

@_Lilac_ - you never write too much, you write truth and put into words what we all feel and go through. Don't stop!

I hit the re-start button - got back on my meds (instead of forgetting them), hit my personal step goal for 7 days and got 64 oz of water for 7 days. Trying this for 30 days then will re-evaluate.

USW- 215.0 (2/4/14)

1stCSW- 211.4 (2/14/17) First Challenge Starting Weight

2ndCSW - 210.8 (4/18/17) Second Challenge Starting Weight

LCSW - 212.0 (5/31/17) Last Challenge Starting Weight

CSW - 209.8 (7/04/17)

LW- 211.4

CW- 209.4

GW- 202.0 (September 4th)

UGW- 150

Best Answer

@SamAndy  I agree with Lilac, we all know the frustration of a plateau. I've been at one for about 6 months now. I exercise every day, two of those days are at the gym. I log my food every day. I've given up so many foods that I used to eat. I wish that I had great words of wisdom for you but I don't.

Personally I think I don't get enough activity despite exercising each day, because aside from my exercise I'm not doing enough. I've also read that most people underestimate how much they eat, and they leave out little things like coffee/tea/alcoholic bevs when they log their food.

All that you can do is to try different things and be as healthy as possible. The only way that you'll totally fail is if you give up.

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

This is the reason I have pretty much stopped counting calories, except a little bit in my head. The fact that many calories are underestimated makes it a fairly wasted time in my opinion. I just try to eat a balanced diet, cut down on empty calories, eat reasonable portions, and exercise most days. The fitbit does a good job of counting my outputs for me. The inputs I have stopped obsessing over. It will be interesting to see if this works better or worse than in my calorie counting days. 

@DJC_63 wrote:

@SamAndy  I agree with Lilac, we all know the frustration of a plateau. I've been at one for about 6 months now. I exercise every day, two of those days are at the gym. I log my food every day. I've given up so many foods that I used to eat. I wish that I had great words of wisdom for you but I don't.

Personally I think I don't get enough activity despite exercising each day, because aside from my exercise I'm not doing enough. I've also read that most people underestimate how much they eat, and they leave out little things like coffee/tea/alcoholic bevs when they log their food.

All that you can do is to try different things and be as healthy as possible. The only way that you'll totally fail is if you give up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

USW - 315 lbs

7-5- 212.8 lbs  - SW

7-11 - 210.8 lbs

7-18 - 213 lbs

7-25 - 208.6 lbs

8-1 - 208 lbs

8-8 - 213 lbs 

8-15 - 213

8-22 - 211

8-29 - 211.4 | +.4 lbs

GW - 203 (about a lb a week)

Well, it is better than I was thinking it was gonna be. I started a new job last week and was incredibly stressful. I moved from a company with about 70 people to 400+ people. Learning all the divisions, exec's names, lingo and organization of everything is going to take a while. I felt completely overwhelmed and pretty exhausted by the end of each day. That meant I wanted to not cook and simply eat junk instead of healthy meals.

I know one night I nearly finished a bottle of wine and a handful of dark chocolate caramels in less than an hr (yes, I got tipsy and giggly and it was a splendid night). Another night I simply just ate whatever was in sight (chips, leftovers, ice cream, etc). On top of that, Saturday was my best friend's bachelorette party and I hit up the drinks and snacks HARD! Food this last week was ugly at best.

I had little to no self control last week but at least I stuck with my exercise. I was in the gym for about 7 hrs last week and I'm sure that was my only saving grace. I'm hoping to do better about getting in 10K steps more regularly and get back into logging my food. Baby steps in the right direction...

Best Answer
I feel the same way. I think I have to change up how I exercise so I got the trainer to show me some new ways to exercise. I also eat almost the same thing every day so I keep looking for different foods. My nutritionist tells me that I do not eat enough calories. I do not understand if you are not eating enough calories you should lose weight not stay the same. Oh well I will continue on until I find the answer that works for me because I know everyone is different.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Keep up the good attitude. I think if you do not eat terrible every day that is not bad, it confuses the body whether to store fat or not. Exercise is good for so many things besides weight loss, so keep it up. You sound exactly like me. Let me know what works for you and keep in touch.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@SamAndy  Ok, so this is the reasoning behind 'not eating enough calories'. If you burn off too many calories based on what you consume, your body goes into starvation mode and it shuts down the loss, trying to conserve your energy in case of starvation, which is exactly what your body thinks it's doing. Very primal and biological. When I first started here @A_Lurker gave me the same advice. Don't under-eat because there's nowhere to go when you need to reduce your calories the closer you get to your goal weight. I listened to her at first and then when I stopped losing I cut back a bit. And now I'm stuck being scared to increase my calories again. I have to. I'm not eating enough for my weight and what I'm burning and I'm just stuck in a plateau. It's scary though! Good, healthy quality food and I'm hoping it will work. *crosses fingers*. 

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer
0 Votes

LABOR DAY CHALLENGE
USW 207.9 (May 22, 2016)
SW 168.8 (7/13)
PW 166.8 (7/17)
PW 166.3 (7/21)
PW 164.9 (7/28)
PW 164.2 (8/3)
PW 164.9 (8/12)
PW 162.5 (8/17)
PW 160.3 (8/24)
CW 159.3 (9/1)
GW 159.9
UGW just trying to get to a 24.9 BMI
Plan: mfp food tracker and exercise 5 days per week

Best Answer

F 55yrs  5'3" 

SW - 220

CW - 182

PW - 181.4

GW - 125

USW - 225

I am so glad to see this challenge!  Maybe I will be motivated to move off this plateau I've allowed myself to park on for approximately 6 months, now.  I gain and lose the same five pounds.  I love to exercise...walking my dogs and cycling at the gym.  My current step goal is 10,000.  For September, I will put it at 13,000 to see if I get benefit from the extra work!  I pledge to eat clean and no chocolate...it's a trigger food.  You guys are good motivation!  Thanks!

Best Answer

I'm there with you in the frustration department!  Keep your chin up and move upward and onward!

Best Answer

Start - 07/09 - 251

Sun 2 - 244 - 07/16 

Sun 3 - 244 - 07/23 

Sun 4 - 246 - 07/30

Sun 5 - 241 - 08/06

Sun 6 - 239 - 08/13 

Sun 7 - 262 - 08/20 

Sun 8 - 266 - 08/27 

Sun 9 - 272 - 09/03 

Labor Day Goal - 239

The Good

Ok, well I did hit my desired weight during this challenge. 

The Bad

Um, new roadblocks have popped up with the recent weight gain but Im ready to deal with this.  Have a good labor day weekend everyone.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

Well, the challenge wasn't that much of a success for me. I'm about the same weight as I was when I started! Ok, on to the next one. I'll search for a new challenge in case it was already begun.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I opened the new challenge called 'Labor Day to Halloween Day Challenge'. Enjoy!

Best Answer

@_Lilac_

Thanks for new challenge.

Been quite the absent challenger recently and was not really losing just going from 146.8 to 143.4.  I didn't meet my goal in part because I was home out of the ridiculous heat and sedentary. I had 2 more Basal Cell Carcinoma removed and couldn't get my HR up and exercise for 8 days. But also my head hasn't been really committed.  All that has to change now since I have to fit comfortably into my ballgown for a recital on Oct 7. These last 10 lbs are very resistant and so am I recently. Got a UTI and antibiotic makes my appetite diminish so now that is a plus in the past few days. 

original st W     153

S Weight          149

Goal                  138 Labor Day 

Current weight  143.4

BMI                    22.5 healthy range- but jiggly belly fat remains!

UGW                  135

See you in the next challenge.  We can do this. 

Barbara 

Best Answer

Didn't quite make my Goal

USW 208

7/4/17 175

7/26/17 168.0

8/4/17 167.2

8/23/17 162.7

Labor Day 158.5

goal was 155

Lost  16.5 pounds Really Happy about that!

Husband lost 19 pounds during the challenge!

Will definitely join Labor Day to Halloween. My husband will join too!

Best Answer

Haven't re-dedicated myself as much as I thought I would. Took the last two days away from even thinking about my weight/exercise/eating. Did not even lose one pound this time. Going to re-start (again) today and see where the adventure takes me this time! 

USW- 215.0 (2/4/14)

1stCSW- 211.4 (2/14/17) First Challenge Starting Weight

2ndCSW - 210.8 (4/18/17) Second Challenge Starting Weight

LCSW - 212.0 (5/31/17) Last Challenge Starting Weight

CSW - 209.8 (7/04/17)

LW- 209.4

CW- 209.0

GW- 202.0 (September 4th)

UGW- 150

Best Answer

I've been REALLY bad about keeping up with the forum, but have been keeping track of my weight.  I did reach my goal (was shooting for 148 & am at 146.6)

I still need to keep at it & will be joining everyone in the Labor Day - Halloween Challenge

I enjoy all the incentive we give each other.

Best Answer

USW - 315 lbs

7-5- 212.8 lbs  - SW

7-11 - 210.8 lbs

7-18 - 213 lbs

7-25 - 208.6 lbs

8-1 - 208 lbs

8-8 - 213 lbs 

8-15 - 213

8-22 - 211

8-29 - 211.4 

9-5 - 213.6 | +2.2 lbs

GW - 203 (about a lb a week)

Well I not only missed that goal HORRIBLY BAD but I actually weigh more now than I did at the beginning. Sigh.... Next challenge will be better. Hopefully soon job stress will be less and thus poor eating choices will also be less. I am doing better about exercise (hitting 10k is my goal and I hit it 5 out of 7 days). So hopefully that will also motivate me to eat better so that my exercise wasn't for nothing!

Despite not doing well at all this challenge, I feel more motivated to do well for the next one. See ya guys there!

Best Answer

Well....I didn't reach my goal which is pretty upsetting. There are valid reasons, but I had hoped to be in a better spot right now.

I live in Houston so the past two weeks have been a tad chaotic. My fiance and I are fine, our house is fine, but the whole city is definitely in a funk. Seeing everyone band together through this tragic time has been amazing though.

I haven't had the heart to weigh myself after my emotional eating, but I'm ready to move on to the next challenge! Today marks day one back in the gym after my time away so I'm sure I have some sore muscles in store for me tomorrow.

Best Answer