Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labor Day challenge 2017

This is an ongoing challenge where we post weekly about our weight and share helpful tips, give support and talk about our ups and downs.  The following abbreviations are helpful to use:

SW - starting weight

CW - current weight 

PW - previous week's weight

GW - goal weight

USW - highest weight

All that you need to do to join is write a post with your starting weight and your goal.

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
203 REPLIES 203

@almost_where  Woohoo!!!! Congrats. 123!!!

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well it's mid-August, and I haven't been very good on anything..  fighting mood issues and not sure what the causes are.  Hoping to start a new and not look back or dwell to much, did get my steps in yesterday - first time all month.  To day doing better about watching what I eat and trying to get the fluids.

Just wish I understood my moods --- Glad to see everyone is still here!! 

Best Answer

Since I joined this challenge a few weeks ago I have ramped up the walking. Was challenged to a work week hustle last week and walked over 40 miles in 5 days it was exhausting but, did help jump start my weight loss. 

USW 208 3/8/17

SW 175

PW 167

CW 163.4

GW 155

UGW -135

I had my thyroid and goiter said removed in January so have been trying to take care of in my Doctors words my "obesity issue". Unfortunately the doctors have accidentally left a substernal goiter piece in my chest so am facing another surgery the week after Labor Day. My weight loss for the first time ever is going so well I am concerned about the recovery derailing my weight loss progress. Any suggestions in how to avoid this would be appreciated. 

Best Answer

@Gayle1018  I know what you mean about moods affecting motivation. I was like that this winter, just depressed. When I get depressed I have a hard time being motivated about anything. It's a problem that I've battled off and on since my 20's. It has gotten better since my periods stopped (I didn't realize how much the hormonal fluctuations affected me), but it still hits me sometimes.

Saturday I was depressed all evening after watching the news about Charlottesville, VA. I hope that you can figure out what's bothering you so you can feel better.

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
0 Votes

My update for the week. This wasn't one of my best weeks but at least I didn't gain. I had a Dr. appointment where I brought up (for the 10th time) how hard it was to lose weight and that I wished that there was a different medicine I could take for sleep that didn't have the side effect of causing weight gain. Normally she just says "well at least you're not gaining weight", but this time she had a new employee sitting in with her, so it seemed she felt compelled to do something. So she prescribed something new, but when I got it filled and looked at the side effects, once again there was weight gain, along with "increased appetite"!  I just need a new Dr. (working on that).

USW - 207.5

SW - 195.4 - July 4th

PW - 195.6 - 7/11

PW - 195.6 - 7/15

PW - 196.4 - 7/22

PW - 195.7 - 7/29

PW - 194.5 - 8/5

CW - 194.4 - 8/12

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

@DJC_63

thanks for the encouragement.   I quit watching the news as it bummed me out too much, think everyone around here is stressing and depressing out from what they are saying so maybe it's in the air and not just me.    - doing better, manage to get the water and food right yesterday, but not all my steps.   Got a fun weekend planned with a lot of hiking so only a few more days of sitting at a computer in the office.   Thanks again for your response!  

Best Answer

LABOR DAY CHALLENGE
USW 207.9 (May 22, 2016)
SW 168.8 (7/13)
PW 166.8 (7/17)
PW 166.3 (7/21)
PW 164.9 (7/28)
PW 164.2 (8/3)
PW 164.9 (8/12)
CW 162.5 (8/17)
GW 159.9
UGW just trying to get to a 24.9 BMI
Plan: mfp food tracker and exercise 5 days per week

Best Answer

Start - 07/09 - 251

Sun 2 - 244 - 07/16 

Sun 3 - 244 - 07/23 

Sun 4 - 246 - 07/30

Sun 5 - 241 - 08/06

Sun 6 - 239 - 08/13 

Sun 7 - 262 - 08/20 

Sun 8 - 08/27 (239 Target)

Sun 9 - 09/03 (239 Target)

Labor Day Goal - 239

+ 23 lbs

Binge eating disorder is alive and kicking.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, not sure what's going on but I have to do something different to jumpstart my loss again. I'm plateau'd. I get a lot of steps but it's just not happening, ya know? Life and stress is interfering in getting great workouts in ideal heart rate zones, even though I'm active and get the steps. Food is fine. I have to increase my water too. 

I just wish it was as easy as when I first started a year ago! My motivation is still there, I just have to make changes to keep my body guessing and force it to give up the fight.

Today I can't go walking with Mom because I'm supposed to have an electrician come fix my kitchen issues. However, I haven't heard from him since Thursday and I'm worried I'm going to have to go with someone else after waiting. 

I'll go to water aerobics tonight and try to get in another good workout today. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

USW- 215.0 (2/4/14)

1stSW- 211.4 (2/14/17) First Challenge Starting Weight

2ndSW - 210.8 (4/18/17) Second Challenge Starting Weight

LCSW - 212.0 (5/31/17) Last Challenge Starting Weight

CSW - 209.8 (7/04/17)

LW- 208.8

CW- 211.4

GW- 202.0 (September 4th)

UGW- 150

Forgot my blood pressure meds for two days (diaretics) so I'm hoping that's the only reason for the gain.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cele21  That's probably it! Diuretics and fairly quick weight loss is what caused me to be super low in potassium, sending me to hospital in an ambulance after I passed out at a restaurant. Be careful with them. If you start getting dizzy ask for a blood test and check potassium. It gets flushed out of the system so easily on diuretics. They completely stopped them for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So the loss has slowed to a snail's pace, but at least it's still going down. I exercised 7 days last week so it should go down! I tried the new medicine the Dr. gave me but I felt SO tired the next day and it didn't help me sleep that much. So I only took it for 3 days and I think I'm giving up on it. If I'm so tired I won't exercise so that will cancel out any small advantage it might have re: weight gain.

USW - 207.5

SW - 195.4 - July 4th

PW - 195.6 - 7/11

PW - 195.6 - 7/15

PW - 196.4 - 7/22

PW - 195.7 - 7/29

PW - 194.5 - 8/5

PW - 194.4 - 8/12

CW - 194.3 - 8/19

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

@almost_where  Sorry to read your having problems with binge eating. Has it been triggered by stress or is it something else? 

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

Thanks @_Lilac_. My blood pressure ran borderline high for several years before the doctor prescribed any meds and then went with a very low dose. Monitored me for another year before adding a second low dose med because genetically I retain water (thanks mom) so they work together instead of just raising the dosage on one. I love my doctor - medication is the last thing he goes to whenever possible and then he starts at the absolute lowest dosage and works his way up very slowly until it's right.

After being back on it for two days I can feel the difference. I'm also working on upping my water intake.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It is soooo quiet in this challenge! I decided to take a rest today. I had 15,000 steps Tuesday and 10,000 yesterday and almost at 10,000 for the last ...well, for a long time. This morning I felt so exhausted that I called Mom and told her I wasn't going walking. Walking isn't the issue, I think it's just everything I'm doing. The new kitten and dogs are taking up a lot of my time. When I let the dogs out to pee at 5am, the kitten must have snuck out without me knowing. I went back to bed and realized I left the door open a few min and if he hears the door he runs to it. I searched the house then went out and found him in my neighbour's backyard. He's a house cat! I have to be careful about doors being open, feeding, ankles being attacked, etc. The electrician was here to fix my stove issue. I went to a two hour bingo last night where the stools were soooo uncomfortable I vowed never to go back to that place again. Oh, and my epilepsy is acting up. I feel kind of overwhelmed and just need quiet for a few days. 

For some reason I've gone up 3 lbs and I don't GET IT. It's so frustrating. 

Ok, going to double-dedicate myself to shucking those pounds and more. *Big inhalation*

Oh, I found some clothes from last summer in a crate. Most of them are size 28 and 30. And I'm in 22-24's now. Big improvement. 

Best Answer

First week of school!  A lot of steps this week. I'm almost to my 50 pound goal. 

LABOR DAY CHALLENGE
USW 207.9 (May 22, 2016)
SW 168.8 (7/13)
PW 166.8 (7/17)
PW 166.3 (7/21)
PW 164.9 (7/28)
PW 164.2 (8/3)
PW 164.9 (8/12)
PW 162.5 (8/17)
CW 160.3 (8/24)
GW 159.9
UGW just trying to get to a 24.9 BMI
Plan: mfp food tracker and exercise 5 days per week

Best Answer

I need some support.  I lose weight then it comes back in just a few days.  I have a gym membership, a trainer and nutritionist and I keep hitting plateaus. I lost 10 lbs then gained it back on vacation.  It took me 3 weeks to loose it.  I exercise almost every day for 1 hour and try to drink 10 glasses of water.

USW 240

CW 217

GW 199

F, 60, 5' 9", UT

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SamAndy  We know all about that!! I'm in a plateau too. Just keep it up. Make a change of some kind. A confused and guessing body will give up its grip and let you lose. I'm trying this myself. I'll let ya know how it goes!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Start - 07/09 - 251

Sun 2 - 244 - 07/16 

Sun 3 - 244 - 07/23 

Sun 4 - 246 - 07/30

Sun 5 - 241 - 08/06

Sun 6 - 239 - 08/13 

Sun 7 - 262 - 08/20 

Sun 8 - 266 - 08/27

Sun 9 - 09/03 (239 Target)

Labor Day Goal - 239

+ 4 lbs

This binge eating feels like I'm sinking deeper and deeper in water. Time to turn things around and just start kicking and try to surface.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sooooo, the tale of the plateau...

I've increased my activity levels, not necessarily on purpose but because I've just become a bit busier. It is irritating my issues with over-use injuries. My plantar fasciitis is acting up. I'm icing my foot and doing foot stretches and taking anti-inflammatories. 

I went to watch a softball game today. I was asked if I was going to play. Hahahaha. All my life I've been a spectator not a participator. Board games, cards, sports, etc. I watch. My mom tells people that's just what I did, even as a baby. I'd be sitting in my little baby chair with my hands crossed and simply watching everyone and everything. Anyway...I'd need to get a lot more fit to play softball, even with a ragtag group like this one. Oh, there were other heavyset women there, one who even threw the ball and it went backwards over her head. But to sprint to 1st base if I hit it...afraid I'd hurt myself. I did have to run for the bus on the way home though, driving my heart rate up sufficiently. I'm sitting at 14,000 steps today so far. Someday, maybe, I'll feel comfortable playing a game like that.

I'm trying to expand my circle of friends and do things I don't usually do. This journey is about life improvement, right? Mom and I met two women on the walking trail today. One was larger than me and she was jogging and her friend was really suffering in her fast walk/jog. The bigger one was going in circles to keep at the same pace with her friend. Mom and I met them joyfully and I asked if they were having fun. The jogger said, "Well, it's necessary so I have to make it fun." And there were no truer words. It's NECESSARY. I wanted to call back to her and ask her fitbit username and add her as a friend. I'm sure she must be using one. LOL. If I see her again I might just ask her. 

The last few days I've been feeling really FAT. For those who might not know me from past challenges, my heaviest was 380lbs a few years ago. I lost 80lbs but then we found out my husband was terminally ill and he wanted to 'go out happy' which meant he wanted to eat out a lot and sit around watching tv. I put back on 55lbs. So last September, after he died, I started my first challenge here at 355lb. I've dropped 70 lbs. But for the last few days I feel really FAT. I think the plateau is getting to me. My summer clothes from last year are way too big so I use them to lounge around and sleep in. I am so much more active so I should be feeling good. I can't really see the loss in the mirror anymore. I might have to dig out some pictures and slap myself a few times with reality. I hear that voice in the brain telling me to give up but I recognize it and I'm gonna smack it silly. I have had a bit more salty/processed foods the last few days. I think that's the source of these voices. I have to avoid them. 

Wow, I wrote too much, yet again. I apologize for dumping on everyone. I tend to write out my thoughts and struggles. Know that you have someone who understands yours!

Best Answer