Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labor Day challenge 2017

This is an ongoing challenge where we post weekly about our weight and share helpful tips, give support and talk about our ups and downs.  The following abbreviations are helpful to use:

SW - starting weight

CW - current weight 

PW - previous week's weight

GW - goal weight

USW - highest weight

All that you need to do to join is write a post with your starting weight and your goal.

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
203 REPLIES 203

So this is the second attempt of the cleanse and now that I am 4 days in, I am a little disappointed. I have only lost 1 pound...ONE! 

I feel tired and like I am not really getting anywhere. The fact that the diet consists of lean proteins and pretty much only vegetables would make you think that I would see results especially considering how strict it is. BUT NOPE. Also, because I feel so tired and because work has gotten even busier making it to the gym is harder because of my schedule and lack of energy. 

Any tips, anyone? I have always eaten pretty healthy and worked out regularly but not seeing a change in my weight now is really disheartening considering I would like to lose about 40 pounds. 

Best Answer

@annypi

How is your water intake? And salt? You've lost a pound in 4 days, which isn't too shabby at all. 2lb/wk is max that you should lose. If you have a high sodium content, the cleanse/flush/purge may not happen properly. Try not to get frustrated. It doesn't happen overnight or we'd all be thin and svelt. You will see results. 

Your energy is lacking so are you eating enough? Sometimes the body will go into shock and *won't* lose because it's holding onto everything it can to prevent you from starving if you make drastic changes. Sometimes I'll drag myself out on a walk, no energy...but during the walk the blood starts going and the energy kicks in and I feel much better. 

I hope you find solutions to the struggles you are having. But really...a lb in four days is good.

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

Have you had any blood tests recently?  You could be a bit anemic or maybe have low thyroid?  

Best Answer

Hey everyone, life has been crazy! 

I've been able to do good so far with my weight loss journey getting back on track. I took a promotion at work so I've been pulling double duty till they find my replacement. My husband finally finished his high school diploma and I am halfway done with my AA degree! 

To say we have been busy is an understatement! 

I hope you all are doing wonderful and have a great week! 

USW June 2016- 235

PW June 2017- 195

CW July 13th- 195 

Best Answer

I don't have much to report but I thought I should write something since I haven't said hi to everybody for the last few days.

Went walking this morning and yesterday morning. My sister came along today. We got 5500 steps. I have housecleaning to do today. I also have to go up to the postal outlet to mail a birthday gift to my son. That will give me at least another 2000 steps and then a dog walk on top of that will put me over my 10,000. 

My other sister's pool/BBQ/ice-cream party is tomorrow. I'm going to make up a good healthy meal and bring popsicles for myself. My scale always bounces a lot since I have an issue with water retention, so I can never say I'm a certain weight. This week though, I'm consistently under 290, as low as 286.8...and last week I was always around 291-293. Progress. AND it is *that time* so I'm happy with the loss. 

I'm cancelling my membership at the Ymca. I don't go to the pool very often anymore because I'm walking with Mom when the water aerobics class is on, and it's becoming too expensive for me. Doing my home repairs is going to use up the last of my money. Being a widow on disability at 48yrs old sucks. I have to tighten the belt in many ways now. At least I'm increasing the value of the house with the repairs/upgrades.

Alright, my dog wants me to go outside so I think I'll go hang out on the deck so he can sunbathe. Have a great day everyone. Water, move, do something fun for yourself. Laugh.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi All, going to join in challenge, as it does keep me accountable!!   Last challenge didn't make my goal, but did loose what I gained and went down a size--so counting it as a semi-win.  Getting ready to be gone for a week - subject to someone else's schedule and food. - so hoping to stay the same or loose something,  will weigh in when I get back

Weight as of July 10th: 155.5

Goal for Labor Day 150 would be nice (or less)   

Hoping to get attitude back in line, for some reason a little melodically - old desires to gorge on ice cream  Smiley Frustrated   So far to day - ok on the eating, hoping to get steps in- but we've had lots of rain and flooding around here, so my sofa has had alot of attention.

Have a great weekend all,  Catch up when I get back...

Best Answer

What if my thyroid glands have removed and taking medication to supplement them? This was in reply to the possibility of being anemic for someone. It never hurts to have your blood work studied for anemia. I spoke to my doctor regarding the possibility of being anemic & after blood work was done I now give myself an injection of B-12 once per month. This isn't for everyone to say the least!

Stay healthy!

Best Answer

I am sooo worn out. We did an extra long walk today and then I went to the pool party and waited til everyone else was out before I got in. I then did a big workout in the pool. I'm at 9500 steps and will get my 10,000 easily. I ate well and completely avoided the junk at the ice cream party. 

We are planning to walk again in the morning then back into the pool. 

So my daughter found a job listing in her field but in the Canadian Forces. She's not in the forces but if she applied for the job and got accepted, she'd have to go through basic training and then be posted to the local job...still not enlisted but as an employee. She is doing a post-grad course for a year then might consider applying to this job...good pay, good benefits, etc. So, within the year, she's got to get into much better shape and be able to run 10k per day so that basic training isn't too difficult. I told her I'd work at it with her. I can't run because of my weight, but I can certainly pick up the pace a bit and do short bursts without hurting myself too badly. I need to get on my bike maybe and go along with her. She's tried jogging at different times and she always comes away with shin splints. Not sure how practical this is going to be. If anyone has experience with doing this sort of training, or shin splints, I'd appreciate any feedback. 

Alright, I'm going to go take the dogs around the neighbourhood to finish off my goal. Have a great weekend everyone.

Best Answer

After breaking my last Fitbit and taking some time off, I bought a new one and am re-dedicating myself to achieving my weight goal. Before I found that food logging was the most important activity. Well, here we go.

GW:   160

SW:    211

USW: 220

CW:   211

M, 58, 5'8", NYC

Best Answer

Start - 07/09 - 251

Sun 2 - 243 - 07/16 

Sun 3 - 07/23 (243 Target)

Sun 4 - 07/30 (242 Target)

Sun 5 - 08/06 (242 Target)

Sun 6 - 08/13 (241 Target)

Sun 7 - 08/20 (241 Target)

Sun 8 - 08/27 (240 Target)

Sun 9 - 09/03 (239 Target)

Labor Day Goal - 239

- 8 lbs

Most of this was July 4th week binge/water/sodium weight.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

I have had a really good week.  I started keto diet and increased walking.  I am coming out of the inevitable slump with a low carb diet and starting to feel the energy benefits.   I had a pretty good weight loss of 6.4 lbs.  Much of it is water I am sure, but it is still motivating and I hope to keep seeing the scale go down!

SW: 232

CW:  225.6

GW:145

CGW: 215

I hope everyone else is having a successful start to this challenge!

Best Answer

Good morning all!

USW 207.9 (May 22, 2016)

CW 166.8 7/17

GW 159.9

UGW 147.9

Best Answer

Though I had posted last week but can't locate it

USW- 215.0 (2/4/14)

1stSW- 211.4 (2/14/17) First Challenge Starting Weight

2ndSW - 210.8 (4/18/17) Second Challenge Starting Weight

LCSW - 212.0 (5/31/17) Last Challenge Starting Weight

CSW - 209.8 (7/04/17)

LW- 210.2

CW- 211.2

GW- 202.0 (September 4th)

UGW- 150

Still heading in the wrong direction but still plugging along.

Best Answer

Here's an weigh-in update.  I lost 2 pounds between 7/9 and 7/16.  Yeah me!

I had set a 13 pound weight loss goal for this challenge.  With 2 down and 11 pounds to go. 

Labor Day is 7 weeks from today (7/17/17).  Boy that's a lot of 7s in that sentence.  We are all rock stars. The only thing preventing us from reaching our goals is our mind.  All we need to do is commit.

Keep stepping forward everyone!

Best Answer

Keep stepping forward.  You can do it.

Woman Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is my first challenge.

SW 214

CW 200

GW 160

Best Answer

@_Lilac_

Hi  shin splints hurt as I well remember. Tell your daughter to warm up and stretch afterward.  Build up slowly and combine walking and jogging at first. No sense to get injured. 

Remember your knee and that you were frustrated about the limited movement that you could do. Your daughter can run and you can walk. Next summer you will be ready to jog maybe. if you keep losing and building strength like you have been you may telling us about a jog you took with your daughter or dog.

Best,

Barb  G

Best Answer

Welcome new folks

Well not weigh day for me yet but I got back to 145.0 this AM. That is a relief. Hope I lose a little more by Wed. my weigh in day. 

Took a walk tonight and my sciatic started hurting. Guess I better stretch before bed. Made 8506 in steps so far today.

We are during this together,

Barb G

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay finally remembering to post. Nothing too exciting is happening as far as my weight, anyhow. One step forward, one back, etc. It's so hot now that I'm going to the gym more than walking outside. I've decided that I need to do weights at the gym at least twice a week in order to keep my muscle strength. I've also started to see a therapist, hoping it will help me make some big changes. it's a little unsettling, though, thinking about things that I haven't thought about for awhile.  But if it helps me to make the changes that I want it will be worth it in the end. If I make those changes I think I'll be more active, too.  I hope that everyone else is having a good week so far!

Labor Day Challenge:

USW - 207.5

SW - 195.4 - July 4th

PW - 195.6 - 7/11

CW - 195.6 7-15

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

USW - 315 lbs

SW 7-5- 212.8 lbs

7-11 - 210.8 lbs

7-18 - 213 lbs | +2.2 lbs

GW - 203 (about a lb a week)

Far too much eating while socializing this weekend. I'm hoping some of the weight is just water retention from the excess sodium. Though I'm frustrated about the weight, this weekend was one of the best ones in a while. Between going out for drinks and appetizers, going to the movies, and hosting several friends over for dinner, swimming and games, it just made me realize how great it is to have some awesome people in my life. Now if I can just get my brain to realize I don't have to eat crazy just to enjoy company LOL!

Best Answer