Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labor Day challenge 2017

This is an ongoing challenge where we post weekly about our weight and share helpful tips, give support and talk about our ups and downs.  The following abbreviations are helpful to use:

SW - starting weight

CW - current weight 

PW - previous week's weight

GW - goal weight

USW - highest weight

All that you need to do to join is write a post with your starting weight and your goal.

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
203 REPLIES 203

Oy vey.

The past few weeks have been "interesting" and I've fallen off of my schedule. I am definitely the type of person who needs a schedule in order to succeed. My fiance had to go to the hospital two weeks ago and we were there for ten excruciatingly long hours. After the ten hours were up, we still didn't know what was wrong with him, we were starving, and we missed our workout for the day.

We made the mistake of going out to eat Tex Mex and spiraled out of control for the next week. I didn't work out for nine days! That's an extremely long time for me. Needless to say I ate junk food and gained a few pounds. This morning, one week post foodmageddon, I am finally down two pounds from where I started this challenge. That is also six pounds down from where I was with my binging.

Moral of the story, life is hard and nobody is perfect. 

USW - 201

CW - 167

GW - 155

Best Answer

Good morning, I am new to this fitbit community and challenges. Just saw this challenge and wanted to join. Is it to late since we still have about 6 more weeks to go?

Just in case here is my 411

SW - 176

CW - 176

PW - 180

GW - 140

USW - 180

Best Answer

New to these community challenges.  Thought I would give it a try for more inspiration.   Having surgery November 1 and need to lose weight before then to reduce risks of anesthesia. I need all the help I can get !!

F, 53 , 5'3"  Ancaster, Ontario

USW  196 (xmas 2015)

CW    183  (July 26, 2017)

GW    160

UGW  140

Best Answer

Weigh I day & it was a success 🙂

Hopefully in 6 weeks I'll get to 145

the scale had not been moving so this is encouraging.

I've finally gotten back to the Y & working out -- my shoulder is bothering me but know I have to alteast get there & on the treadmill or elliptical.

sounds like we're all making some type of progress

Yeah for us

keep at it everyone -- even 1 lb makes a difference

Best Answer

I hope it is not too late to start. 

SW - 294 

CW - 294

PW - 305

GW - 284

USW - 352

Best Answer

Welcome to all you new people! 

It is never too late to join!

This is a fun, informative, inspiring group that never gives up. Feel free to jump in to any conversations and share your own ups and downs.

Best Answer

I want to start in too!  I got my fitbit about a week ago and I love it! My legs are so sore from trying to walk more.

SW 195

CW 187

GW 179

Best Answer

I should clarify and say my goal weight for the labor day challenge is 179.  My ultimate goal weight is 150

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Tybokitty  It's been a week since you posted, but it's the first that I've been on here. I know what you mean about the cat that's left missing the other one. When my first girl died my other girl looked for her for 6 months. I found her (Scully) as a kitten and brought her home to live with me and my other girl, Buddy. So Scully had NEVER been without Buddy since she was 8 weeks old. She kept meowing and going to Buddy's favorite spots. It was heartbreaking. Scully and I became much closer after Buddy died so I know what you mean about that, too. When she died I walked around the lobby of the animal hospital holding her and crying my eyes out. I couldn't bear to put her down and leave. I could see people looking at me like "thank God I'm not that woman!"

I have several other male cats that showed up and I took in, and I love them but it's not the same as my girls. They are affectionate but they don't sleep with me, etc. like Buddy and Scully did. Buddy used to sleep on my head if she was cold! One night I was very sick and I just laid on the bathroom floor because I couldn't stop throwing up. Buddy normally slept on my bed, but she came in the bathroom and slept on the floor beside me. 

Our pets are sometimes more loyal and loving than people, so it's no wonder it's so hard to lose them. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

@Tybokitty wrote:

@DJC_63  You are right about that awful feeling of going home without them.  Most horrible thing I've felt in a long time.  I get a jolt every time I realize he is not coming back and I wonder how I'm going to make it through without him around.  I have another cat Chelsea, but she was my daughter's so her and I was not that close.  It is so hard to watch her looking for him.  I've been playing with her and keeping her company and she comes and lays on me a lot more.  But it just isn't the same.  Right now we are helping each other as we both realize the loss. She has been closer to me in the last couple of days than she has been in 12 years. I will check out the website and I appreciate your offer of talking.  By the time I do get over this I will have a path from the bedroom closet to the living room door in my carpet from the walking.  

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm late posting but I've been busy getting lots of exercise, anyhow. For some reason I stopped losing and kept see-sawing between 195 and 197 for awhile. This week I'm finally seeing it go down a little every day, so that's nice. I've been doing weights at the gym at least twice a week and walking the other days. It hurts my overall step count but it seems to be helping how I look, I can see more muscle in my arms and thighs. yay!! 

I'm not having as much luck losing weight this summer as I did last summer, but I don't know why. Some days it's frustrating but as long as I'm not gaining and I know that I'm doing the right things I try not to get too aggravated.

Anyhow, here's my post from last weekend:

USW - 207.5

SW - 195.4 - July 4th

PW - 195.6 - 7/11

PW - 195.6 - 7/15

CW - 196.4 - 7/22

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

@_Lilac_  That is great news! He sounds like a good Dr.  I had bursitis in my hips about 10 years ago, the same time that I had a bulging, herniated disc. I did a little PT, although I don't know if it helped. I remember them making me roll it on a foam roller once which was excruciating. Don't do that! I don't remember what made it better, but I haven't had it that bad since then. So hopefully it will be the same for you!

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer
0 Votes

@DJC_63 Thank you for your prayers.  It has been a rough week.  My boss is on vacation so I'm the only one in the office and that gives me lots of time to think.  I've broken down many of times in the middle of the day.  Evenings and mornings are the worse.  Chelsea my other kitty is really missing Gizmo.  She is barely eating.  I can get her to eat Temptation treats but only a few at a time.  Her water intake is varying to. Yesterday was better than the day before.  I have managed to get her to eat a little of Kit n Kaboodle cat food.  But there again only a few pieces at a time.  She keeps going in the closet where he was the last week.  Yesterday evening I found her sitting in the cubby where his bed use to be.  When I went to bed she went in the living room and laid on the floor close to where he use to sleep next to the corner of the couch.  She was always a little skittish but she is even worse now.  Jumps at every noise. She will play some with the lazar and the feather.  They both use to run through the house in the morning when I got up so I have her doing that by using the lazar and the same thing before I go to bed.  This morning was the worse.  She was very unsettled and you could tell things were not okay with her.  Its heart breaking to watch what she is going through.  She's loosing weight and she not a big kitty.  She's petite.  I've thought about bring another cat in. But everything I read says not to.  I have Lovie who is outside who use to be a house cat. She must of gotten out from her other owners place and they never came for her when we posted signs that we found her last year (I feed her and my neighbor feeds her and he brings her in when weather is bad or real cold. And he has birds).  Chelsea has seen her at the front door and of course Lovie wants to come in.  Which she has and went straight to the toys to plays.

Lovie may get to come in tomorrow with temps here of 105 just to stay cool in the afternoon.  She has no problem sleeping in the bath tub.  My daughter will be over for the weekend so maybe that will help Chelsea. She was originally my daughter's cat.  Well I've rambled on enough.   Thank you again for keeping us in you thoughts and prayers. Hopefully things will be better next week. 

Best Answer

@_Lilac_ Glad to here your meeting with the doctor went better than you expected.  You did all the right things and it paid off.  Keep up the good work! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yay!  Progress!

LABOR DAY CHALLENGE
USW 207.9 (May 22, 2016)
SW 168.8 (7/13)
PW 166.8 (7/17)
PW 166.3 (7/21)
CW 164.9 (7/28)
GW 159.9
UGW just trying to get to a 24.9 BMI
Plan: mfp food tracker and exercise 5 days per week

Best Answer

New to the Fitbit lifestyle. My husband and I began our serious weight loss journey back in March purchased the Fitbits when our weight loss plateaued in June. Glad to join the challenge. 

SW-175.6(with Fitbit)

CW-168

PW-170

GW-155 by Labor Day

USW-208(3/08/17)

UGW-135

Best Answer

Start - 07/09 - 251

Sun 2 - 244 - 07/16 

Sun 3 - 244 - 07/23 

Sun 4 - 246 - 07/30 (243 Target)

Sun 5 - 08/06 (242 Target)

Sun 6 - 08/13 (241 Target)

Sun 7 - 08/20 (241 Target)

Sun 8 - 08/27 (240 Target)

Sun 9 - 09/03 (239 Target)

Labor Day Goal - 239

+ 2 lbs

Ok, quite a bit happened this week. Went on a 7k binge last Sunday and that led to overeating through thursday and exercise tapered off. Felt horrible physically from all the junk food / excess sodium. Something just triggered me thursday evening while I was in bed to change my whole routine up. So far so good with the new routine.

Changes made
------------------------------------------
* Poured 16 cans of monster energy that I had just bought down the drain and have made the decision to cut energy drinks out completely. I've averaged 1 a day for over the last year and I think they were really wreaking havoc with my sleeping.

* Trying to avoid working out late late at night because I found myself getting wired and having a hard time falling asleep. The past few days I've shifted my lifting to mornings/mid day and have enjoyed it so far.

* Spreading my food out more evenly during the day. These last couple weeks (my yo yo weeks) I have been consuming almost 70% of my daily calories by like 2pm leaving way to little in the evening. Not to mention getting the majority of my steps in after 2pm led to really rough evenings. I was getting through the week and then come Sunday, my cheat day, I would do the 7k binges and lose all the weeks progress. I have broken my eating during the day into 4 time zones.
4am to 10am = 600 to 800 calories allotted and aim for either a walk or lifting
10am to 4pm = 600 to 800 calories allotted and aim for either a walk or lifting if not done during morning.
4pm to 10pm=600 to 800 calories allotted and aim for a small walk, no lifting.
10pm to 4am = This is my time for sleeping and I am aiming for 0 calories during this period and 0 exercise.

*Getting more variety with what I eat and getting more protein in.

Sometimes ya gotta just mix things up a bit. Good luck everyone, keep up the good fight.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

Good job on changing up the routine @almost_where!

USW- 215.0 (2/4/14)

1stSW- 211.4 (2/14/17) First Challenge Starting Weight

2ndSW - 210.8 (4/18/17) Second Challenge Starting Weight

LCSW - 212.0 (5/31/17) Last Challenge Starting Weight

CSW - 209.8 (7/04/17)

LW- 208.8

CW- 211.2

GW- 202.0 (September 4th)

UGW- 150

Back up but once again I know what I did (high sodium food) and what I need to do (less salt, more water, more movement) to get back on track. 

Here's to a glorious week!

Best Answer
0 Votes

SW - 294 

CW - 293

PW - 305

GW - 284

USW - 352

Best Answer

Well, I dunno what's going on but I hit 285.6 last week and bounced up again. It's frustrating because I make progress and then have setbacks. My mom was just complaining that she loses the pounds twice...she goes down then up then she takes them off again. I guess I'm having the same problem right now. 

My food is good. I've been walking every single day, getting close to or exceeding 10,000 steps. I'm taking today as a rest day because I've developed a cold. Summer colds are the worst. 

I went grocery shopping with Mom last week and I picked up a loaf of bread. She said, "You eat that fluffy airy stuff?"  I do eat bread. I eat carbs. I'm not on low carb but I'm careful and limit to one slice per day. I saw what a low carb diet did to my husband and his mother, who both didn't eat enough nutritional food and developed diabetes. I stay away from processed, salty foods. So anyway, mom suggested the whole grain breads but I can't eat those because of my Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which doesn't digest whole grains/seeds and they rip through me. So, I got this more dense white bread but when I ate it...it caused such fierce cravings for carbs. What the heck...so it's back to the fluffy, airy stuff that doesn't do that. I just need to stick to what I know works.

Saying that, I think my body has got used to walking and I need to change my activities. That's why trainers will change a person's workout routine every 6 weeks, because you don't get the same benefits anymore. So, I have to figure out what to do. Biking is probably the best option for the next 6 weeks,  as soon as I get rid of this cold. My heart rate typically isn't over 110. Yesterday's walk showed it at 140, likely because of the chest cold. Whatever I do I must increase that heartrate. 

Ok, I've bored everyone sufficiently. I need to go shoe shopping anyway. I've worn through my two pairs of walking sneakers. 

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

Mlyssa,  Did any of you ladies notice the the Livestrong.com website is also having a LaborDay challenge starting tomorrow which is rather elaborate.  They give you calendars and things to print out and inspiration and I don't know what all.  Maybe you would like to look in on it.  Starts tomorrow.  Of course it is all free.

Best Answer
0 Votes