Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perimenopause

I'm a 41 year old woman experiencing perimenopause.  I'm looking for other women who are experiencing perimenopause as well so we can help support eachother through this roller coaster ride.

Best Answer
178 REPLIES 178

I have an appt Wednesday with my OBGYN.  My period is 3 days late but i did spot for a

whole week after my period started at the end of May so that maybe the reason its late. Im

not sure and google just gives me more anxiety

Best Answer
0 Votes

Angela I do the same thing. I have horrible anxiety and everything little thing that goes wrong with me - my brain goes into overdrive thinking the worst. I can't stop it. I've always been healthy, but instead on focusing on that, I think tumors, cancer... I read where when your estrogen goes down, your anxiety goes up. My doctor told me to start taking Estravin. I'm wondering if eating more phytoestrogens would help with anxiety. That's my worst symptom.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Dana,

I am 41 years old. I see am not the only one suffering from anxiety . My anxiety started last week few days before my period came. I never had anxiety before, and is just horrible . It hits me anytime I get dizziness , spinning sensations or feel like am going to faint. I can't even tolerate the heat in the summer because it makes me dizzi .I am even noticing that is hitting me when am in big stores that draws crowds of people . I feel like I have to get out of there. Next thing there goes my anxiety then I start thinking the worse.  I been getting dizzy since June and it just progressed from there. Everytime my period is coming my pulse goes up high. I went to my doctor was put on a different blood pressure meds to control my pulse. These past few days I was feeling so weak , fatigue, no energy  whatsoever . I went back to the doctor to get checked. Most of it came back normal. Still waiting on the other one. I started noticing in my late thirties changes, such as night sweats, diariah everytime I got my period. Not realizing. Last year the dizzy spells began.  Fall through spring fine, no dizzy spells, as soon as the hot weather began with summer days is when it all started. I hate it. I just want  to be back to my normal healthy self. Feeling healthy again. Having the energy to do the things I want to do and enjoy doing with my family . I'm so glad I found this board. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I’m glad you found it as well. Sometimes reassurance is all we’re looking
for. It will get better. I’m about 6 years in and I thank God I’m not
where I used to be. I have had a bout of vertigo and that was NOT fun.
Anxiety has waned a ton so even on my worst days I can function. The brain
fog comes and goes. At this stage listen to your body.
Best Answer

Hello Melrey,

I was getting really down because of all of my symptoms. My doctor wants me on HRT which made me even more depressed. I have been online for a solid week researching natural alternatives and ways to balance my hormones. I have bought a box of Femmenessence Macalife, not only did it have rave reviews, but there is a staff of doctors that you can talk to 7 days a week, it's a support system. I'm going to try that, there have been studies conducted on this stuff and it's supposed to have a 95% success rate. Do the research for yourself and see if this is a product that you think could help you. I'll start this tomorrow, I wish I could tell you how it's already working. 

Best Answer
Thank you for the tip. My next visit will be to see an ENT . I have some
mornings where I feel so weak I can barely function. Along with the light
headed too. Do you find that summer months with the hot and humidity
weather makes your symptoms worse? I noticed when is really hot and humid
it triggers dizziness and anxiety.
Best Answer
0 Votes

To be honest, I never paid any attention to the weather, but I will now. I wake up feeling very weak too, and my appetite is off, sometimes I get nauseous. I'm really tired now and have my hopes up for this product. I'm only on day 2 and it takes anywhere from 4 days to a month to see a difference. I'm sick of feeling this way.  I really don't feel like I can do much until 10 am, then I can work for about 3 to 4 hours and i get really tired again. If I don't lay down, I get a headache. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The gynecologist tested my hormone levels on day 8 of my cycle and my estrogen was normal. I went back the next month on day 4 of my cycle (when I felt the worst) and my estrogen had dropped to 10 pg! He said that I had postmenopausal hormone levels but was having estrogen surges, that's why I was so tired and that's why he wanted me on HRT. I am trying the maca to correct this and balance it all.  Going on the right day to have your blood work done is important.

Best Answer

I too wake up feeling so tired, weak I can barely make breakfast in the morning for me and my son who is a special needs child. My energy starts to go up a little towards the evening. I also feel out of balanced and light headed too.I started feeling like this sometime in June and the tiredness just got worse over time . My sister n law recommend I try estroven. She said it takes 3 to 4 weeks to work. I did research on the ingredients found it has black cohosh which slows the heart rate, I don't think this will be safe for me or anyone who's on beta blockers . So still doing research on other things that may help. May God help us all. This is not easy living with.

Best Answer

This is something I am going to request from my gyn. Thank you for mentioning this. I get extremely fatigue days before my period comes.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try a supplement that has iron in it.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I took Maca root for a while but it didn't seem to be doing anything, I was pretty disappointed in it. I switched to Estroven and it seems to be helping. As far as the summer heat goes, it doesn't make my symptoms worse, or at least I don't think it does, the winter blah days do though. I'm trying to stay as natural as possible, whenever I get dizzy I take ginger pills, they also seem to help. Whenever I get really fatigued, I force myself to walk. I power walk up and down my road, and then I drink green tea. That has helped too. Everything I have read online about fighting fatigue says to exercise, so I'm trying it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am struggling with mainly high heart rates, sporadic surges, and I'm on a beta blocker, Metoprolol 37.5mg. My hr should not be jumping to 150s. It is so scary to suddenly feel the pounding and the racing! I called 911 yesterday because after almost 2 hours it was getting worse, not better, and I'm a week before my next period begins. 

For over a year and a half my worse symptoms were occurring 2-4 days after my periods ended. I realized now it was due to iron deficiency anemia brought on by both extreme hea y flows months in a row and Crohns disease malabsorption. Even taking Ferrol (Liquid iron tonic) and liquid B-complex daily isn't helping. It has been a horrid battle the past almost 2 years. I'm not certain whythe heart suddenly went so fast and hard. It freaks me out and causes my anxiety which makes it worse. What a vicious cycle. Do any of you have extreme high heart rate surges like that and on a beta blocker?

BTW first estrogen check my estrpgen was 220 with LH and FSH in post menopausal ranges. They considered that perimenopause. 10-12 days later my estrogen dropped to 60. They told me I'm not a good candidate for any type of BHT due to fluctuations of estrogen. I'm surprised your doctor said otherwise... 

They wanted me to try Prometrium, it is specifically progesterone, but they never checked my progesterone levels so i refused to take something until that has been done. I refuse to chance feeling WORSE. If that is possible. 

I'm hoping to make it to Monday with no more high heart rates. They implanted a loop recorder in my chest by my heart so i can record events. I'm hoping I got enough recordings at right times and we can see it from yesterday. I'm certain it was steady sinus rhythm but extreme tachycardia. Most of my events have been considered supraventricular tachycardia / atrial tachycardia. Nut an actual heart arrythmia so I'm grateful. Even my electrophysiologist thinks it is hormone related (thyroid disease, or the adrenal adenoma [tumor] found is functioning, producing excessive hormones). It is getting other doctors to take me seriously that is preventing me from doing what is necessary to get my quality of life back.

If you're experiencing heavier than normal cycles, please have your doctor check your iron and ferritin, a full iron panel. They may need to refer you to a hemotologist. I had one iron infusion and after 7-10 days it did make a difference, I really think IDA (iron deficiency anemia) excaberates all other symptoms. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wanted to ask how you are doing after about 2 weeks or so on the Femmenessence Macalife? Or is that what you were referring to trying maca and it was disappointing to you? Is estroven helping you more?? ❤

Best Answer
0 Votes

My heart has raced but not like yours, it was racing during my anxiety. My anxiety and fatigue have been my greatest symptoms. The fatigue gets worse during winter because of the gray days and I don't get outside very much (that's gonna change). I've also had vertigo, tinnitus, nausea, and some depression (that just started). As far as doctors go, over the last 3 years, I've been to 6 doctors. A 49 yr old woman goes to a doctor and says, "I have anxiety, fatigue and it's really really hot at night, is this hormones?" The response "no, you need to see a psychiatrist about the anxiety and take a nice long nap." 3 doctors said that I should go on antidepressants and one tested me for absolutely everything, and the naturopathic doctor decided that I had adrenal fatigue. Not ONE doctor would admit that this was hormonal!  I decided to take matters into my own hands and have my hormones checked, but was not told when the best time to have them checked was, and they came back normal. I went back the next month when I felt the worst and got a call saying that I was about to go through the transition. I could've screamed! One doctor reluctantly suggested Estroven, even though she didn't believe it was a hormone issue. I started taking Estroven and it seems to be working, but it's only been 2 weeks. The doctor only wanted me on an estrogen patch for one week out of the month to try and stop the fluctuations. I wanted to try something natural before I went that route. I have found websites that will help you find a doctor who specializes in menopause in your area. I wish I had done that.

Best Answer

The Femmenessence Macalife had such great reviews that I started taking that, I was very optimistic, but found that I wasn't feeling any better. I thought once I started taking it, I'd feel a gradual sense of relief. So I contacted the support team who said that I needed to take it for at least 4 months before I'd feel anything. To be honest, 4 months is a LONG time for bad symptoms. I remembered the other doctor told me Estroven and I read where most people feel relief after just 7-10 days, so I started taking that instead. I do feel better, it's been 2 weeks. I take that along with a multi, magnesium, and omega 3.

This message board has been such a huge help and support for me. My friends just breezed through this without any symptoms, I didn't have anyone to talk to. 

Best Answer
If they won’t let you take estrogen, eat cruciferous veggies. Have a veggie smoothie every morning. Make sure you stay off caffeine.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Unfortunately I can’t do HRT. I tried it for a short while and had side effects.
I started having chest pain and one month later I had blood clots in my lung which has caused me to be placed on blood thinners.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm so glad your racing heart issues isn't so severe, but i sure do hope yippy get relief and continued relief from perimenopause symptoms. 

I think mine is compounded with the tumor on my left adrenal gland. They refuse to do any more tests on it. I'm so frustrated. I found my hemotologist doctor who is alsoa cancer doctor and he was very honest with me. Explained that unless they do urine tests less than 24 hours of an episodethey will not catch the excessive hormones secreting out in the urine. Ugh! I hate feeling like I have a ticking time bomb inside.

As for doctors.... None of them can explain my symptoms, except the  electrophysiologist says it looks like it is hormone related. Yes!!! But now what? Everyone keeps shrugging me off like I'm a hypochondriac! :'(

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yikes!! I'm so sorry tat happened to you. I'm also staying away from BHRT even though right now I'm not a good candidate because my estrogen is still fluctuating very wildly. I'm hoping to do natural remedies to help myself.

Best Answer
0 Votes