Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perimenopause

I'm a 41 year old woman experiencing perimenopause.  I'm looking for other women who are experiencing perimenopause as well so we can help support eachother through this roller coaster ride.

Best Answer
178 REPLIES 178

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who have responded to my post. I will go into my doctor's appt armed with more information.

I appreciate you, Vylent, mentioning the ovulating. Now that think about it, I don't think I have felt my ovulation this past few months and every month I would strongly feel it.

Knowing these symptoms could last a while is a bit discouraging. I used my Fitbit for the first time last night for my sleeping pattern and it was bad. Only 31 mins deep sleep and 1.5 in rem. Sleep is so important for the healing of the body. Since I have been feeling this way I have been focusing on exercising every day and trying to eat well and that is good. You can always pull a blessing from a challenging situation!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Amazing news ! Thanks for the update I bet your info will help loads of
women x
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi im 39 years old.  I would say my symptoms

started with just ridiculous night sweats about 8 months ago.  A few days before my period i would wake up drenched.  Period was normal.  A few months later I started having full blown anxiety attacks that landed me in the hospital twice, i still have anxiety but can control it.  2 months ago my periods started coming 4-5 days earlier than normal.  Last month I spotted brown 3 days before my period and then had a period of 7 days. 4 days being heavy.  7 days later i spotted brown for a week mostly discharge brown. I had sex one time when spotting and when i wiped there was light pink on toilet paper.  Im due for my period tomorrow.  And throughout the month ive had back pain off and on at night mostly.  Is this peri menopause that im going through??? Had a normal

pap back in march

Best Answer
0 Votes
It sounds a lot like it to me with the hot flushes, anxiety and brown
spotting.. everyone experiences things slightly different I am finding and
my periods just slowed at the age of 36 to having one every 6 months to
this last two years I have had one every 11 month, I found out through
blood tests - by do not rely on one blood test if it says you are fine, go
back on a month for another because I had one blood test that gave definite
indication of being a lot older than I am and yes a sure peri menopause
sign, but the a month later I had another and they were the total opposite
and of someone younger than me and healthy... I think it was my body going
up and down fighting against it... after a year I had another blood test
that was definitely indicating again of an older person ... and you just
know after the hot flushes become a daily thing when it gets bad, night
sweats turn to day sweats too so that’s pleasant at work having to change 3
tops in 2 hours for soaking through it, for someone who barely ever sweated
. Good luck love I hope you haven’t got it early too xx
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi there friend! It could very well be. There’s no specific test to
confirm but your GYN could test your FSH level to give you an indication.
Anything over 30 is considered menopausal. At the end of the day the only
expert on our individual body is us. If you’ve noticed ‘wonky’ changes you
could be on to something. I recommend the Period Log to start tracking
your symptoms and periods. Fitbit has a period tracker but I like the
Period Log much better. it’s available for Android / iOS. I also
recommend watch Menopause Taylor on YouTube. She has been a tremendous
help on this journey. Also research, research, research!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, I'm 49, will be 50 in 1 month. This weekend I was rushed to the ER with severe anxiety and dizziness. My husband was afraid it was diabetes, it wasn't. My anxiety is getting the best of me right now. I also have a crazy ringing in my ears. I've only skipped my period once so far. I'm miserable with the anxiety and dizziness and I'm afraid I'm just getting started on this ride. I will be getting my blood work done next week and plan on getting my naturopathic doctor to give me herbal help. I wish I knew how long it would last until I began to feel better. It would serve as a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Out of all the herbal supplements/vitamins that you've tried, which ones would you recommend?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I went to a naturopath a few weeks ago and he put me on neurapas which has helped with the  internal shakes (he thinks it's anxiety related). The main ingredient is St. John Worts that helps raise serotonin in the body. I feel much better than I did 2 wks ago. He said in about 2 weeks I will feel the effects and I have. And also Chaste Tree which for peri/menopause. I have not felt the effects yet on this as he said it might take up to 3 months but said many of his female clients say it has completely helped with their symptoms. Will keep you updated. My internal shaking has gone more down to my body and in my chest which is scary but not as scary when it's in the head and that is dissipating since I have been taking the herbs almost 2 weeks ago.

Best Answer
I am so glad you updated us that you are okay! Glad a dr took care of you.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Magnesium!!!! and look for a good one, it has helped me a lot with my
anxiety.
Best Answer

Honestly I bought my first fitbit because I was just starting peri and was having a difficult time sleeping with the anxiety takes at 2am.  Try melantonin.  I promise you it will get better.  Years one and two were brutal but you got this!  Magnesium & calcium are so important. I am the poster book of all symptoms.  You name it and I've had it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Could very well be.  Night sweats for me are the worst the two weeks before what would normally be an expected period.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there, I have been there too.  Anxiety was so bad I went to the ER and was waiting for them to find an inpatient bed at one of their mental health facilities.  I'm so glad I decided to get up and go home.  I thought I was losing my mind!  Oh and one morning I woke up about 4am with vertigo so bad the room was spinning.  I woke my husband and told him he was going to have to take me to the emergency room but I eventually able to fall back asleep and woke up fine.  I all had tinnitus (ear ringing) so bad for months, it was driving me crazy.  Now it still comes and goes but not as often and not as loud.  I promise it will get better.  Just think, the worst happens early on and then as you body begins to adjust to the estrogen dominance of perimenopause, the most bothersome symptoms will begin to decrease, slowly but surely.

Best Answer

Maca root helped to balance hormones

lemon balm / passion flower for anxiety

evening primrose oil to help balance hormones and helps with night sweats

red ginseng to help with focus

gingko biloba for memory

I've tried a lot but these are mainstays.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Klane1118,

When you had anxiety, did it ever let up? Mine has been hitting me every day now for 2 weeks. I've also had dizzy spells off and on now for 2 weeks, I'm beginning to think it's vertigo. Now I just don't have much of an appetite. Did you go through that too?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It did let up after I would say about 1 month.  I felt anxious and nervous the whole time!  It was horrible.  I started using breathing techniques every time I felt one coming on. I still get some anxiety but I control it now.  I use lavender oil and a diffuser at night when i feel anxious.  Ive been getting different pains in my body.  I do workout 4-5 times a week and sometimes I feel twinges and shooting pains in my body and I start freaking out and feel like im having another anxiety attack, but I try not to think of it.  Its been a difficult 4 months, I just hope it goes away completely. And yes i couldn't eat food for about 2-3 Weeks lost about 10 pounds.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Did you try changing your diet? And if you did, did it help?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I did, Dr put me on a Gluten free diet.  Its hard, but i think it has helped me.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
I sure did. I was not interested in food at all for over a year. I’m in
the other side now. I can eat but still not as interested in food as I
once was.

Yes I had unrelenting anxiety and felt dread and doom. It does get better
I promise. My doctor prescribed Vistaril which is an antihistamine but it
had a relaxing affect so I could get sleep. I used it only when I couldn’t
talk myself off the ledge. Some days will be better than others. Also my
doctor told me to dial back the exercise because exercise puts stress in
the body and that would exacerbate my symptoms. I would do a 45 min walk
twice a day and this really did help.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ive had lower back pain throughout the month. Not sure if its because of my bed, or me about to start my period.  Ive been googling and of course cancer always pops up. So my anxiety goes through the roof.  Right now I think I have Cervical cancer.  Its always something different.  

Best Answer
0 Votes